Formula E

Dave

I was having a little look into this new championship last night, it starts in September and for those of us in the UK it will be broadcast on ITV.

I'm thinking I'll have to watch the first season to see what it's all about... I do know that on the pit stops they don't change tyres... they change cars lol

I think it'll be pretty cool with only street circuits... Anyone else going to be watching it?

Here is a bit of stuff about it:

post-2303-0-78502700-1401183496_thumb.pn

FIA Formula E Championship
The new global electric racing series

Formula E is a new FIA championship featuring single-seater cars powered exclusively by electric energy. It represents a vision for the future of the motor industry over the coming decades, serving as a framework for R&D around the electric vehicle, accelerating general interest in these cars and promoting sustainability. Commencing in September 2014 through to June 2015, the championship will compete in the heart of 10 of the world's leading cities - including Beijing, Los Angeles and London - racing around their iconic landmarks. For the inaugural season, 10 teams, each with two drivers, will go head-to-head creating a unique and exciting racing series designed to appeal to a new generation of motorsport fans. 

Calendar:
  • R1  Beijing, People’s Republic of China - 13th September 2014
  • 
R2  Putrajaya, Malaysia - 18th October 2014

• R3  Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - 15th November 2014

• R4  Punta del Este, Uruguay - 13th December 2014
  • 
R5  Buenos Aires, Argentina - 10th January 2015
  • 
R6  Los Angeles, USA - 14th February 2015

• R7  Miami, USA - 14th March 2015
  • 
R8  Monte Carlo, Monaco - 9th May 2015
  • 
R9  Berlin, Germany - 30th May 2015
  • 
R10 London, UK - 27th June 2015
* All events remain subject to FIA Track Homologation 

Overview:
  • 10 international teams, each with two drivers. Each driver will have 2 cars.
  • Races will take place on 10 city-centre venues around the world
  • Circuits will be from 2.5km to 3 km in length
  • Cars will accelerate from  0- 100Km/h (62mph) in 2.9 seconds, with a maximum speed of  225Km/h (140mph)
  • The cars will still produce sound at around 80 decibels (more than a road car travelling at 70mph) 

Event:
  • Practice, qualifying and the race will all take place in one day (Saturday) in order to minimise disruption to the city.
  • Practice will last one hour with cars taking to the track as they please.
  • Qualifying will see cars taking to the track in groups in order to avoid congestion with each driver having a set number of laps in order to set their fastest time.
  • Races will be one hour in length with each driver required to make two mandatory pit stops to change cars. Tyres will not be changed.  
  • Points will be awarded to the top 10 finishers in accordance with other FIA championships: 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1

Oh, the official website is here: http://www.fiaformulae.com/

Interesting, but not for me. I'm too much of a petrol head, need the noise and smell of a racing car or bike.

Hope its successful though.

Yeah I know what you mean, I was watching a video of them testing one of the cars and it makes a weird noise. Still seems quite loud though for an electric car

I say that because of the eerie sound the electric bikes make at the tt. I think its incredible how they manufacture these vehicles, but I can't get excited about it.

Yeah I'm still a little uncertain as to whether I will enjoy it or not... will see in September I suppose but it will never replace my F1 lol :)