Think I Broke The Laptop?!

Emma

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try the basic first .. Have you turned it off and back on again?

Sorry LOL ....

OK ... have you tried pressing windows key plus P to switch screens?

Lol, thanks. 😃

Yep. I have tried to do that several times but nothing. Paul's taken it apart quickly to see if any things come loose but all looks connected and secure engineering wise.

When pressing try doing windows + P then pressing the down arrow afterward incase its not moving the selection. Other than that it looks like its probably best in a shop by the sound of it

When pressing try doing windows + P then pressing the down arrow afterward incase its not moving the selection. Other than that it looks like its probably best in a shop by the sound of it

Thanks, yeah I think it's had it personally. This time its not even booting. Can just hear the whoosh and whir of the fan. :(

Spoke to my dad and he's going to take a look at it, he said a few things but most of it didn't sink in..."spatar connectors..pins...blah blah blah" lol.  

What he did remind me of is that there should be a hot key on the laptop somewhere that allows me to reinstall everything from scratch (i forgot what it was though, lol)  and that as it was purchased from pc world that they usually put in their own points of access should i have to go back to them. 

God I hate using this pc, can't touch type on a regular keyboard to save my life anymore, keys are too far apart!  lol

• 2 weeks later...

Just sitting here watching my dad pull my laptop apart. He's just tutted at me and said he thinks the hard drive or motherboard has definitely gone. [emoji30]

Those tutt tutt's are always a worry.....

Tbh I'm always in trouble for something, I just expect it now. This time it was because the cd drawer was full of dust and the charging cable was a bit of a safety issue, lol. Oddly he let it go about the broken f key and finger print marks on the screen, I beat a hasty retreat whilst he was wandering around looking for a sata connector. Lol.

Dads called with an update. He's taken the hard drive out and put it into one of his other devices. It was in recovery mode so he put it through its process and it's come back all clear.

Now for the good bit, he's ordered me a second hand version of the same laptop (they're around £250 even second hand so I owe him a big thank you!) we're hoping that the hard drives can be switched over so my old one is put into the new devise and possibly the memory chips too but will have to wait and see if they're compatible.

Will have a laptop again soon! :yahoo:

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd give you the outcome of this.

My dad sent it off to pc world to be analysed and the problem was on the motherboard, the "north board"? chip had blown, dad said there is also a south board? chip that controls other functions and that one is fine.

So pc world are going to solder on a new chip for £35, which I thought was very reasonable. So including their analysing and labour it works out about £85 in total. Still considerably cheaper than I was expecting. :)

Oh and I don't get to keep the laptop I'm using now. Dad wants to keep that one for himself, lol. We'll swap over when mine is back from the workshop, :)

Thought I'd give you the outcome of this.

My dad sent it off to pc world to be analysed and the problem was on the motherboard, the "north board"? chip had blown, dad said there is also a south board? chip that controls other functions and that one is fine.

So pc world are going to solder on a new chip for £35, which I thought was very reasonable. So including their analysing and labour it works out about £85 in total. Still considerably cheaper than I was expecting. :)

Oh and I don't get to keep the laptop I'm using now. Dad wants to keep that one for himself, lol. We'll swap over when mine is back from the workshop, :)

as long as your happy with the price thats all that matters

Thats actually not bad for what they are doing. Not so much because of whats involved or the cost, but more for the fact that they are replacing the chip at all as a lot of places will just say "new motherboard time"

Thats actually not bad for what they are doing. Not so much because of whats involved or the cost, but more for the fact that they are replacing the chip at all as a lot of places will just say "new motherboard time"

that's exactly what dad said, funnily enough.