Raised hackles while playing

Cathy

Hello all. I have a question I need help with.

Dakota is 20 months old and pushing 60 lbs. He is exercised on leash with me anywhere from 3 to 6 miles per day, and I take him to the dog park for off-leash play maybe every 3 weeks (several days in a row).

Question: What exactly are raised hackles a sign of? Aggression? Insecurity? Dakota often raises his in the dog park while playing and even while playing in the back yard with my friend's two dogs that he sees and plays with every week. He has never been agressive or snappy, and he does his share of being both the chasee and the chaser during play with other dogs (he didn't even mind getting his back humped by a 6-month old retriever while both wallowed in a mud pit, grinning like fools). He has played well with everything from dachshunds to pit bulls to rotweillers, and he seems to quickly pick out one favorite buddy or two in the dog park and stick with them the whole time.

Should I be concerned about him raising his hackels? Is there anything I can do to help the situation?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Smithy's hackles raise up when he's playing and no, there's no sign of aggression at all. Found this on t'web...

Raised hackles do not always indicate aggression. The hackles are the fur along a dog’s back. When these hairs stand on end, it is called piloerection. Often when the thick ruff of fur around the dog’s neck and shoulder area stands on end, it is assumed that the dog is going to attack. It is true that when a dog is acting aggressively, or wants to show another dog that he is dominant, the hackles may be raised. This makes sense, as raised hackles make a dog look bigger, and therefore more of a threat. But hackles may also be raised, sometimes all the way from the neck to the tail, when a dog is simply excited or aroused. Even the “omega†or bottom-ranking dog in a pack, may show piloerection when playing with dogs of higher rank.

Courtesy of My link

Chewy raises his hackles too when he plays, and has never shown aggression when he does it.

I think it can also happen when they are excited. He will be smiling away and playing chase with

other dogs and his hackles at the top of his shoulders will be raised.

I wouldnt worry unless he's baring his teeth and growling.

Myshka's hackles always rise when she's in play mode, it's nothing to be concerned with unless, as others say, it is accompanied by teeth baring, growling, etc ..........

Its the same with Maia she only raises her hackles in play, rough play I might at. But again no concerns unless it accompanied with the grumpy growl :D xxx

I think it has somthing to do with the amount of adrenalin in the systems so it can happen if they're really excited and playing as they have adrenalin to run and play and it can happen when they are in fight or flight mode because they need the adrenalin then too. Nukka definatly does it when shes pulling me over to meet and play with a new dog. biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the responses, everybody! This gave me enough confidence to take Dakota to the dog park when it was packed (20 dogs, at least), and he had a wonderful time, hackles and all, and I didn't have to stress about it. The only time I had to distract him away was when he was woooooing at a big, shy GSD that all the dogs were ganging up on. I won't worry about his hackles any more -- I'm not sure if he even knows how to growl or show his teeth!