total loss of appetite

jaime

Okay so this is the 2nd full day now that Nanook has not touched a bit of his food :(

Usually he goes at his feeds like a pig in a troff

gave him his breakfast yesterday morning with his fresh water usually he would take the arm off ya to get the bowl but he just stood and looked at it, never even went over for a sniff

lunchtime he still hadn't touched it even after his 4 mile trek so changed it for another flavour, still no joy

(though in himself he is grand still bouncing off the walls as active as ever and drinking/weeing plenty)

checked late last night still hadn't touched it so gave him a chicken out of the fridge

he took it off me dropped it on the floor and gave me a look of disgust as if to say "ya think i'm eating that crap?"

The chicken had gone this morning....it was under the car.....the cat had nicked it!

And today again he's not touched his food bowl

I haven't changed his food or routine

Any advice? :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually just going to put up a post with a question similar to this. Kaya's appetite has seemed to drop by half of what she usually eats, but she's not losing weight or seeming sick at all. She is still very active and her stools are normal. I was wondering if during the winter time huskies have the tendency to not eat as much as during the summertime.

She seems to bury more than she eats.

Any idea if that thought is accurate at all?? With huskies in general eating less in the winter than the summer?

thanks.

I was actually just going to put up a post with a question similar to this. Kaya's appetite has seemed to drop by half of what she usually eats, but she's not losing weight or seeming sick at all. She is still very active and her stools are normal. I was wondering if during the winter time huskies have the tendency to not eat as much as during the summertime.

She seems to bury more than she eats.

Any idea if that thought is accurate at all?? With huskies in general eating less in the winter than the summer?

thanks.

Hi my current husky and my last one both lost there appetites when they moult

i would expect huskies to eat more in the winter as it is colder, and they will need to grow more fur and generate more heat.

micha is quite a small eater, but she is a good weight, and the vet says shes healthy, so we dont worry, but since the start of the cold wether, she is eating better.

some dogs also loose appetite when going into heat also ....

my kira hasnt been eating much lost all appetite also now she eats here and there since i have gotten koda

but she seems to be eating a bit more each day but she isnt putting any weight on ...

vet said there s nothing he can see wrong with her ( he said we can do a blood test $200+) but he said theres nothing probably wrong with her cause

she s bouncing around fine weeing n pooing fine wormed up to date .....

but hopefully she starts putting weight on soon...

Pongo has had a couple of days like this recently also. I think it's because it's colder out. I also heard that huskies can change their metabolisms which might be what's happening. He's much more active in the summertime. Right now he's just content playing in the snow a bit and then cuddling up with his bonetongue.gif

my 2 are doing this again, not eaten properly in 3 days now they're fine in themselves running bouncing pulling drinking etc fussy buggers if i gave them wings they demolish them in seconds lol

Switching to Barf soon so shouldn't have that problem soon (fingers crossed)

Noushka is the same, hardly eats but is healthy.

Her food has always been down 24/7 and topped up when needed but now we have the puppy we have to lift her food otherwise Falkor just eats hers too. Now Falkor has some chub meat with his food and Noushka is refusing to eat her food, even if I put some meat in she will eat the meat and then just dig in her bowl spreading dry food all other the floor.

I wondered if this will pass as she is refusing to eat dry food and it is since the puppy came home, she has always been a temperental female :P .

As anyone else suffered an older dog losing the appetite when a new pup is added to the household

Switching to Barf soon so shouldn't have that problem soon (fingers crossed)

I wouldnt count on it, my 3 still go off their food now.

It seems to be a common thing with huskies going off their food. One day they will eat like vultures and the next day they wont want to eat at all! I used to get very worried when any of my boys went off their food and used to always think they had a medical problem rolleyes.gif so was calling the vet every five minutes lol I think it was mainly because before I had sibes I had a rottie who never turned his nose up at food until he got septecemia and was PTS sad.gif Since then Ive learned that sibes were bred to run for miles and miles on a small amount of scraps and I would guess its that reason why sibes today are not big eaters (or some of them anyway)

Her food has always been down 24/7 and topped up when needed

If she's used to eating when she wants only having the food down at mealtimes may nudge her out of her routine a bit but i'm sure soon, she will realise that if she doesn't eat it when it's down then she won't get any till next feed time :)

• 4 weeks later...

Polar also lost her appetite a few days ago. She used to breath down her food, but a couple days ago she suddenly lost interest in her kibbles. She would still eat it (slowly) if I mix in a spoonful of yogurt with her kibbles, but she treats it like a chore now. Other than that, everything else about her is the same, stool is the same, she still has the same amount of energy, so I couldn't figure out what's wrong.

A couple of ours are occasionally picky and don't eat.

given that a healthy dog wil not starve themselves, we follow the '10 minute rule':

Food goes down, if they don't eat it after 10 minutes, we take it up and nothing offered till next feed. The picky ones never miss more than a couple of feeds before they eat the next one.

None of this pandering to them either. What we feed is all good quality. We never offer an alternative to a healthy dog who refuses what they are given. They take or leave what they are given. Start pandering to faddiness and your dog has you wrapped around their little finger and you'll be doing it forever ;)

Healthy dog = No underlying health problems, not pregnant or feeding pups and not a very elderly dog. We will make exceptions in those cases as there is a good reason to. If food refusal is out of character for your dog, get them checked over by a vet to rule out any underlying issue.

Its quite common and not unusual in huskies at all! Ronan won't eat if there is a female in standing heat nearby. I have to be careful cause OC will be more than happy to help himself to Ronan's portion and turn himself into quite the lil porker! OC used to go off his food for a couple days at a time too up until I started having more dogs on the property and had to pick up his food after 15-20mins (I used to just put his ration out and leave it till it was gone or the following day throw out the food and give a fresh ration). Now he is very opportunistic and will eat anything and everything! He's almost as bad as a Lab! Jill is quite the ravenous eater too! Tundra on the other hand frequently turns her nose up at eating. I suppose she is more concerned about keeping her girlish figure LOL

• 10 years later...

Our husky (Roxanne) is 4 years old and for the last 2 days, she has turned her nose up at her food. She will just look at it and then walk off. She has lost some weight (not LOADS, she is still healthy) but it's very out of character for her. Would the best bet be to take her to the vets?