Crating the sibes

jade789

I would just like to know how you all feel about crating your dogs? I have one that we used when they were 12 weeks, but would like to start crating them at 5 months. Is that going to be hard to start now? I had both of mine eat drywall today. That freaked me out! I thought they would be much safer in crates when I can't be there to watch them, that way they can't hurt themselves or ruin my place..well when I'm not around anyway.

My dogs are 2, 15 mons, and 6 mons. None of them mind being crated. My 2 girls actually won't give up their crates. 5 months isn't too late to start crating again. Start off slowly and progress to longer time in the crate. I used to hate them, think they were mean and only for "lazy" people. I don't know what I would do without them now... or what my Huskies would do without them! They really learn to love them. It took Cheyenne a bit to warm up to the idea, about 4-5 months before she loved it. Mishka it was almost immediate. Mickey never really cared either way. Every dog is different. But if they're getting into dangerous stuff like that, it's better to have them crated.

Guest snowdog

all my three sleep in their crates and love them, shadow is only 9 wks so still a work in progress, but yep i say bed now n they go off to bed lol, shadow takes a bit of convincing with a treat strategically placed in there lol. 5 mnths is fine ppl have to start at all ages when they arnt used to crates, they soon get used to their little den xsmile.gif

All our dogs have crates (beds) when we had star she was 5 months old and never been in a crate before and yana was just over 1years of age and never been in a crate before and they both took to it great, just take your time and make the crate experience a pleasant one never do anything to scare them when introducing them to there bed. Most of our dogs all have their food in their crates too... Best of luck :D

My Nukka is 5 nearly 6months and she has always had her crate but isnt OVERLY fond of it, she knows its her bed as when I say bed time she will eventually get there after acting like gravity has defeated her and her legs dont work for abit! But she absolutley hates being shut in!

Before we got her I pretty sure the breeder would shut her in and leave her quite abit and just left to do her business in there and consequently when she came to us she would sometimes go into the crate to 'go' if the garden door wasnt open so the very first night we had her we didnt shut her in and she was good as gold quiet as a mouse and did her business on the training pad so the next night I thought I'll just shut her in and see if shes ok.... evrey 2 hours through out the night she would howl and whine and bark so I thought OK wont shut her in over night but I really would like to crate train her so I've tried feeding her in there and shutting her in for short periods but nothing seems to work to stop her going nuts!

I know some of this is that I havnt set a routine and trained consistantly enough but she really does HATE being shut in! Any suggestions on this anyone? Maybe it'd help Jade aswell?

Oh and before anyone asks yes the crate is big enough for her to lie down comfortabley and has a nice crate pillow and a blanket over the top to make it inviting and I give her treats in there when she is being good and quiet so have tried all of that and she still hates it in there!

My Nukka is 5 nearly 6months and she has always had her crate but isnt OVERLY fond of it, she knows its her bed as when I say bed time she will eventually get there after acting like gravity has defeated her and her legs dont work for abit! But she absolutley hates being shut in!

Before we got her I pretty sure the breeder would shut her in and leave her quite abit and just left to do her business in there and consequently when she came to us she would sometimes go into the crate to 'go' if the garden door wasnt open so the very first night we had her we didnt shut her in and she was good as gold quiet as a mouse and did her business on the training pad so the next night I thought I'll just shut her in and see if shes ok.... evrey 2 hours through out the night she would howl and whine and bark so I thought OK wont shut her in over night but I really would like to crate train her so I've tried feeding her in there and shutting her in for short periods but nothing seems to work to stop her going nuts!

I know some of this is that I havnt set a routine and trained consistantly enough but she really does HATE being shut in! Any suggestions on this anyone? Maybe it'd help Jade aswell?

Oh and before anyone asks yes the crate is big enough for her to lie down comfortabley and has a nice crate pillow and a blanket over the top to make it inviting and I give her treats in there when she is being good and quiet so have tried all of that and she still hates it in there!

I used the crates for the first time today while I was at work. I came home at lunch and let them out and had them run around a bit. They did great! I dont think it is their favorite place yet, but they dont seem to mind it. I put rubber chew toys in there but no beds (they chew them up and try to eat them). What I have done so far is cox them in with a treat and praise them. Any time they go in there voluntarily I say good girl. Then I started using myself as the door and making them stay in a few min by putting my hand in the doorway of the crate and praise them. After they seemed comfortable with this I would put them in if I had to run to the store. Normally I would take them on a car ride (cuz they love it) but I was trying to get them used to it. Then I increased the amount of time they were in there. They seem to be ok with it now. They are always crazy when I get home and want to run and play, but that's expected.

Ive been crating chewy since his first night home. Hes not technically fond of the crate but sleeps in it everynight without too much complaining, lol.

He has now come to the point that if I wanted I fully trust him to be out all day and all night roaming the house, but with solo being new here and

solo backtracking on his potty training, I decided to wait a bit so that maybe they both can be out. I have left chewy out a couple of times at night

or when I left the house for an hour or less and he has done just fine but I still prefer to put him in his crate for safety and peace of mind.

You are right though its quite normal that the second they get let out of the crate they go buck wild and horse around. If mine didnt go wild in the

mornings after being let out I'd think something was wrong with them, lmao.