ello

hello and welcome to the pack

your poor dog has been in the wars.

how did he manage to hit by a car?

In the wars? I don't understand what you mean. Well he got ahold of some raw chicken and made it out the door. tried going afterhim. Figured I could catch him. Everyone has very open yards. But eventually he decided he'd head towards the street and ran directly into a passing car(thankfully the car didnt hit HIM) He just ran full force into a car going about 40. I'm aware it could have still been pretty tragic. Thankully he's intact. Just a couple scuffs and he has a limp. I've inspected all his limbs and nothing seems broken. Not to mention his limp has definitely improved since just last night when he got hit. I'm positive he'll be ok. Still sad though =/ He got to sleep on the couch last night =P

is this ur first husky? alot ov sibes will do anything for a treat so thats a good way 2 train them tho u will no that if they dont wanna do summin they wont lol ur sibe is gorgeous :)

welcome to the pack

Thank you. Indeed he's a bit unlucky yet incredibally lucky at the same time. He's my first dog EVER so no no other huskies. All he knows how to do is sit and give me his paw. Another concern of mine is separation anxiety. At first he would not eat and would whine if I ever left him. Though he's been doing a bit better and him and blue(the pit bull that bit him) actually get along now and they even play together(don't worry I watch them like a hawk and stop them if they get too rough). He doesn't seem interested in playing with me though. I got him in a playful mood once the other day but doesn't seem interested in toys. Also I understand that huskies are incredibally stoic but he doesn't lick(kiss) anyone. Is that a trust issue or are huskies just like that? On occasion he'll sneak a little one in but only if he's trying to get my attention like when I'm still in bed.

Awww...sounds as though hes had it rough before you and just needs some time to calm down. I bet that soon when he realizes hes staying with you he settles in and

wont be a cling-on, lol. You might try making him earn everything you give him so he knows he cant "just have it," and that you can be trusted to give him what he needs

so long as hes willing to do something for you to get it.

(ie) have him sit or lay down...before giving treats, food, patting, etc. i wouldnt be surprised if this helped him calm down alot.

Hi and welcome to the pack.

Glad he's ok after his run in with the car! Have you done any research on the breed before you adopted him - a good fenced area is highly recommended as is on leash walking only. They have very high prey drives and will do anything to run off.

Have a mooch about the forum i'm sure you'll find loads of helpful information here, if not please post and ask away :)

Looking forward to seeing you around

Hi and welcome to the pack.

Glad he's ok after his run in with the car! Have you done any research on the breed before you adopted him - a good fenced area is highly recommended as is on leash walking only. They have very high prey drives and will do anything to run off.

Have a mooch about the forum i'm sure you'll find loads of helpful information here, if not please post and ask away :)

Looking forward to seeing you around

I did of course research the breed before picking him up. I read that it was recomended to have a high fence or a chain. We have a huge yard and he has plenty of room to run around when hes on his chain. However as soon as I'm out of sight he whines. I've done plenty of research however I thought it'd be more helpful to find a message board like this.

Hiya, Jeff, welcome to the form, :wave:

Sibes are not loyal like other breeds, so will not come back to you if it's not in their interest ... they are very stubborn! :P Do you know anything about his background? It may be he was never left alone or what he's been through, he needs to feel secure that he's not going to be left again. Try leaving him for short periods, only a few minutes & returning to him when you say & praising him, keep repeating it, gradually leaving it longer & longer till you return. Huskies are very clever & should soon learn that you'll come back without fretting & whining. This may take a while as he is 4 yrs old.

Good luck with him, he's a lucky lad to have you, let us know how you get on, xx

Try one of these

http://www.dog-online.co.uk/Dog_Toys-Tough_Toys/c79_160/p7180/Extreme_Kong_Black/product_info.html

You fill it with food, and it takes ages for them to get it all out, it keeps them amused and stops the worry.

Husky's also like to be in a pack, be it human or dog, that just them, so they will worry if you leave them, and can also become distructive then, so take care.

Quiet new to Husky's but been a trainer for a good few years, good luck with him, plenty of walks to use up his energy as well.

Shrimpo

• 3 weeks later...