James Wellbeloved Pouches

Hiya

Well Eika is not been on her food for a while now, some days she'll eat it, some days she won't. I think she's getting a bit skinny, especially her back end, haven't had her weighed for a while but anyway, i digress. I was wondering what the James Wellbeloved pouches were like, if they're any good for them etc...

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/dog-supplies/dog-food/canned-dog-food/james-wellbeloved-pouches/james-wellbeloved-pouch-turkey-adult-150gm.html

the ingredients are listed there...but anyway

Adult Pouch Ingredients and analysis: Turkey meat, rice, peas, carrots, sunflower oil, sugar beet pulp, linseed oil, calcium carbonate, seaweed, alfalfa, potassium chloride, tomatoes.

Contains: Turkey meat (min 26%), rice (min 4%), peas (min 4%), carrots (min 4%).

Typical analysis: Protein 6.5%, oil 4.0%, ash 1.5%, fibre 0.5%, moisture 81%.

She normally has nature diet in the morning and burns kibble at night (altho she hasn't been eating the kibble at all, even if mixed with nature diet).

Any help will be greatly accepted.

I know of a few peeps that feed James.W and it's definately one of the better brands :)

I wouldn't feed it instead of her kibble but would add it to - moisture 81% is high but then most wet foods are predominantly moisure.

I add the nature diet with the kibble and mix it in - maybe try that ?

right well, tried water in the kibble...and also included some nature diet...again, she just picked the nature diet out. Maybe it's the dry food i should be changing:rolleyes: (so glad i didn't buy a HUGE bag like i was gonna!)

Right then....what dry food?!!?!?

Now this is an interesting question actually... Do we need to be feeding dry food? So far the dry ones Iv tried dont agree with Nukka's tummy, I know Ive heard it said alot that dry kibble is better for them but why? Ive heard that its better for their teeth to crunch things but Nukka has some raw veggies and the occasional bones to crunch so doesnt that cover that? Any other reasons anyone know of why kibble is recommended over wet food? Is it just for ease of feeding?

Basically at the moment I'm struggling to get Nukka to eat the kibble for the 2 meals a day I feed it her and then when she goes its obvious that its not doing her stomach much good so am thinking of just switching her completely to BARF and maybe the natures diet wet food that she loves and keeps her solid just to make sure am not missing any nutrients... Sorry to have hijacked the thread abit but what do we think of that? and Sqwidge have you thought about doing something like that? Just dropping the dry completely if she doesnt wanna eat it!? Alternativly I know their are doggy gravey sauces you can buy to make kibble smell and taste better should we maybe try that first????

i have considered dropping it...but for the same reason you probably are still feeding is that's what i've always heard is good for them!!!!! i don't know abour BARF...

what are good veggies that they can eat raw, that are good for their teeth? oh and when you feed raw bones (like big ones, not just chicken wings) do you give them inside or outside? oh and with chicken wings, where do you get them from? and are they like the ones we would eat??

oh and don't worry about hijacking...the input is v helpful.

Oh good to get an answer on the dry Vs wet issue then!

The BARF thread is really helpfull on all questions but I personally do the same as Sid, I buy the prize choice blocks from pets at home and get my chicken wings from the Adsa's best range I got about 8 for £1.89 at the weekend and freeze them just defrosting them as needed. Veggies I feed raw are usually Carrots as they are nice a chomppy for her but I also give her peas and brockoli steamed so they still have bite and cooked potatoes or a handful of cooked brown rice to make sure she has carbs. Bones we give her a mouton or beef rib once a week usually on a sunday to keep her busy while we have us time and this will take her all day just to get anywhere near through it! Lol! I give it her in the kitchen so I can still keep and eye on her and the floor is cleanable, although she has a fondness for trying to hide it behind the big comfy chair in the living room or burry it at the back of her crate so I have to watch what shes doing! Lol! biggrin.gif

we get our chicken from iceland its £3 for a bag what we do is we split the bag up into days so each bag has a day of food in then we put them into the freezer and 1 in the fridge then what we do is when the dogs have the chicken out the fridge we take one out of the freezer for the next day.

yes it is the same chicken we eat, as for the veg mine love carrots and it cleans the teeth to as well

i hope this helps abit

good luck sarah - let us know what you decide and how you get on.

I get my boys their wings / bones etc from the butchers - might be worth pricing it up as for me it's cheaper to get chixken wings from butchers than asda andthey also give me free bones - bonus :D

bleurgh pig's feet...and heart...oh god...no i couldn't do it. chicken wings/bones i could do....but offal i don't do good with...or bits of animals (pigs ears i can cope with, they are dried!)

maybe a good wet food (maybe stick with nature diet) but introduce some veg and raw bones/chicken wings for teeth....