Weight of your Dog

Ok been reading a few of the posts on food and diet, Max has settled in well, and eats well. (So far not left anything in his bowel.

When we got him he was 23.7 Kg, the vet said that he needed to put on some weight, yes you could feel his ribs and backbone, he is now up to 26 Kg, but I don’t want to over do it.

He gets 4 cups (like you get out of a coffee machine) of dry food a day, 2 in the morning dry, and 2 in the evening with a bit of wet mixed in, now most say that Husky’s will only eat what they need, but he still seams hungry, this may be a trick rubbing off from my older dog, who has always been a scrounge, and loves her food.

So what is the weight range of husky’s?

Shrimpo

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Height: Dogs 21-23½ inches (53-60cm.) Bitches 20-22 inches (51-56cm.)

Weight: Dogs 45-60 pounds (20½-27kg.) Bitches 35-50 pounds (16-22½kg.)

Myshka is 23kg at 4 yrs of age & Diesel is 6 yrs & weighs 40kg, but as he is a rescue, he MIGHT be x-malamute & therefore bigger.

Actual weight in pounds and ounces is less important than how the dog carries that weight. As an example, our big boy Gus weighs only 20 kilos

GusCP4.jpg

Our girl Summer, on the other hand weighs 22 Kilos

SummerRichmond4.jpg

Summer is much smaller than Gus, but Gus is lighter boned. Neither are under or over weight and both are heavily muscled.

The best way of assessing weight is very simple. You should be able to feel the dog's ribs but not see them. You should never be able to see the dog's pin bones (hip bones) even if out of coat.

Mick

Actual weight in pounds and ounces is less important than how the dog carries that weight.

That´s so true!

7032_129270463540_667903540_2519223.jpg

Ruska is now 54cm height and her weight is 22kg. (9 months old now)

Ronja is 52,5cm and 19kg. (3,5 years) Her coat is very thick. Here you can see different between without undercoat and with it. (And the weight is exactly same in both of photos)

5.jpgWith undercoat.

2.jpg And without it.

:)

EDIT: Better picture.

Ok so ive read thru this thread, and it makes sense about how they carry the weight being more important.

Chewy now weighs around 67 pounds (keep in mind he's huskamute- not full husky) He is quite tall, and does carry good weight in

the chest, shoulders, legs and hips, and hes not malnurished obviously, lol, cuz hes so spoilt. He eats what he wants and leaves the

rest. He probably takes 3.5 cups of food a day now (most of the time) I think its also because it has been chilly here instead of hot.

According to the pics people posted though, he does carry his weight like they do, he just isnt as fluffy, lmao. He has the thick under-

coat of course but the thinner summer topcoat, except the neck and tail, which are very fluffy. Looking closely at the other huskies he

actually looks pretty good...so thanks for the pics so Id have a reference to go off of.

BTW...all of you have beautiful huskies! Love the pics.

post-8209-13585945802001_thumb.jpg

Well every time i take Nanook to the vet he always calls him porky, he got up to 28kg at 1 point after he had been on a diet for 6 months bearing in mind he was 27kg before the diet started!!! I've now found out (now dad has gone R.I.P) that he was given treats all day long! No wonder Nook loved his Grand pa lol !!!! Since dads been gone 3 wks on thursday now, no extra treats have been given and we weighed him on WII Fit and hes lost 1kg Yeh!

Scooby is a small little thing always have been.

Mushu we dont bother doin yet, still just a puppy!

Reading the other post i think its just like humans, they all differ.

Ok,Good info, and yes we are all different, just wanted to get an idea of if he was in the ball park.

This is Max

med_gallery_1005_2_48168.jpg

The Vet said he was under weight at 23 Kg, and yes you can see his pins at the back a bit still, ribs yes can be felt, and has backbone, the thing is they have so much fur it's harder to tell if they are under weight, as said he is up to 26 Kg now, and I'm thinking 28 kg will be about right, but from the replies so far, that's at the top end of what most people are saying, maybe he is a big Husky then, not got a lot to judge by, and not many around my way.

Thanks for the info so far.

Shrimpo

My Diesel is 34kg, but we do wonder if he's a full sibe, or has a bit of mal in there. I have his papers from the KC, and I saw both his parents, but he's a big lad, I've always wondered and someone who has had sibes for a long time had a look at him, and is also wonderinglaugh.gif , so maybe its pointless me saying how much he weighs in this thread! At 34kg he's not overweight, you can feel his ribs, but can't see them.

Well my Nukka is just coming up to 6 months and she got weighed at the vets last week and she is 15kg which I was told was spot on for her size and age, although I think shes quite small for her age as I've seen much bigger huskies that we only slightly older than her, but then again her parents arnt BIG dogs so maybe its just her genetics, I actaully quite like her this size... I can just about still pick her up for a baby cuddle! :D

• 3 weeks later...

after reading through again the weights of the dogs around shadows age he seems to be weighing about the same as him, maybe ice was just a big girl and im expecting him to be the same as her and that is what is making me think he is a small boy? ;) although storm is 3 months old and isnt that much smaller than him :lol: