Weight of your Dog

I can agree with micks post about how they carry the weight.

Now Bandit averages 27kgs and Marley averages 29kgs

but when they where puppies it was the other way around.

Look at them now and you would say Marley is heavier than Bandit which is true and when they were puppies you would have again said Marley was heavier than Bandit but in fact Bandit was the heavier one when they were puppies.

A few months ago I started to get worried about Bandit as you could see his hip and rib bones quite clearly, but he ate the same as Marley and Gizmo however he was alot more active than Marley and Gizmo. Fortunately he has started to fill out now and his rib bones can be felt but not noticed now and his hip bones are covering over nicely :)

I think its not just the weight of a dog that needs to be taken into account, to an extent, but also how physically and mentally active they are and like Mick said how they carry their weight.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ummm... I would think that a thin layer of fat covering the ribs would be a good protective barrier when playing and running around.

It says "Mildly Overweight

Your dog is at the upper end of the ideal range with a small amount of excess body fat. Recommendation: Seek veterinary advice to ensure your dog is offered the appropriate amount of food and consider increasing activity levels. Avoid excessive treats and monitor monthly using the S.H.A.P.E. TM chart."

Gotta love the internet :lol:

lol mine says for kaiser :

Lean

Your dog is at the low end of the ideal range with less than normal body fat. Recommendation: Increase food offered by a small amount. Monitor monthly using the S.H.A.P.E. TM chart and seek veterinary advice if no change

hence why i'm feeding more - but will he eat it - NO sad.gifangry.gif