Terrapins???

Sarah

I used to have Mississippi Map turtles and they were great!  Terrapins are water dwellers only aren't they?   I know my turtles were half and half.  They liked to swim but needed somewhere on dry land too.  Have heard that terrapins can be a bit snappy but if you annoy me off enough then so can I!  lmao.

I may have it wrong then he said they have water but they have a bank to bask as well?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I was just guessing from memory.   If that's what he said then I'm guessing he knows his own pets better than I do, listen to him and ignore me!  lol.

I'd be honest I don't know what in the world "Terrapins" are. And my internet is messing with me atm so can't have a look grrrr :angry:  But, I do know turtles I grow up with them :)

First thing you need to know about any kind of turtle is: those children bedtime stories LIE. Turtles are not slow. Turtles are not shy. Or at least, my pet turtle Ricky was a feisty, grumpy, super fast little fellow. They grow up really quickly. I only had Ricky a little over a year but he managed to grow (at least) triple the size when I got him. Since they live a long life, they grow quick but they don't stop growing that quick. If terrapins are (probably are?) relative to turtles, make sure you know what breed you're getting and how big is their maximum size. Jaimie is right they do need a large tank. And yes they're messy. But Ricky lived in a tank with some fishes (obviously not small fishes) and they clean up after him so it wasn't that bad :) he shared food with the fishes too

Every once in a while I take Ricky out of the fish tank and "bathed" him. Bathing only includes cleaning his shell with a toothbrush, but he needs that because that shell get dirty quick. You'll know the shell needs cleaning when you touch them and they feel kinda soft. Not soft like a sponge, more like... it almost feels like there is mold growing there. Now a little bit about turtle behavior: turtles also let you know if they're not happy by letting out this weird blowing sound. It sounds like a healthy person blowing his nose  :huh: like I said Ricky is a grumpy one so he "hissed" like this at least 15 times a day. Even if so, he never snaps. Almost anything makes him "hiss". A person walking too loudly too close to him, a stranger picking him up (he'd actually kick the stranger's hand with his "flippers"), me offering him cheese... Anything. But I love him no matter what  ^_^ unfortunately one day when Ricky was running loose in the house (once a week we do this.. our house was small at that time and there were no other pets beside fishes) he found a way out and never looked back. My mom said he made his way to a rice field and got reunited with his turtle family, but who knows. 

EDIT: my internet is back! And gosh RICKY IS A TERRAPIN. He's an "American red-eared slider, the most commonly traded turtle in the world". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eared_slider