Anti barking Products

I know that most huskies and husky mixes arent big barkers.

Before i ask about products...

I personally dont really mind Chewbacca barking when strangers get too close to the house. As safety precautions go, a barking growling, fierce looking dog is a very good intruder detterant. Not only that but with children in the home this is something i appreciate as someday chewys protective nature could actually give me a head start to protecting my family in the event that some idiot decides they want to try and get past chewy and to the door.

However my neighbor has brought it to my attention that when he sometimes gets to barking at night when we go out for the last time before bed or we go out first thing in the morning he has of course woken her children before it was time for them to get up. This still happens sometimes even if he is on his leash and Im attempting to calm him down and stop him.

I have looked around at the most popular anti bark products and so far there are shock collars, chemical spray collars and a decoy birdhouse that emits ultrasonic sounds when the dog starts barking. Has anyone used any of these things and if you have would you recommend any one in particular. i dont feel comfortable with the chemical spray collars, and even less comfortable with shock collars, but since he'd only be using it late at night or very early in the morning, while people are sleeping...I was considering trying something.

I wouldnt be tempted to use the shock collars /; sprays at the moment, why not try having a empty bottle with a few pebbles in - when he makes a noise rattle it - so it startles him and makes him stop - oh teach him to "speak" on command and reward him but only when you ASK him to speak - if he does it when you haven't asked him to tell him to SHHHHHHHHHH

i have the ultra sonic collars. where if they bark it vibrates the collar and it emits a very short sound only a dog can hear and it distracts them from what they are barking at. the only problem is that if your dog is really set on barking at something if they feel their in trouble or if they just see a squirrel or something it wont stop them.

Well Nukka has recently started to have a little husky paddy if we're on the bus too long and shes getting bored but if I grab hold of her snout and tell her NO sternly it tends to shut her up and then when shes quiet again for a minute I praise her and give her a treat so she knows quiet is good! biggrin.gif Although it is totally thwarting my efforts to try to get her to speak on command.... (Yes I'm very sad and really want her to say I love you like in the youtube videos!) but I'd rather have her quiet on the bus as I dont want to be chucked off! huh.gif