Advocate Q

I've used Advocate for 2 months now. Its the combined flea and worming treatment placed on the skin. Although it is quite effective on fleas i still find the odd one on Elka. I use Frontline on the cat which seems to do the job.

Whats peoples experiences/opinions on Advocate please?

Always used Frontline for fleas and Drontal for worming of Polee but Deifen was given Advocate which I'd never used before and I was impressed as it's far easier than trying to get a puppy to swallow a tablet.  I was concerned that Advocate wasn't doing a good job with the worms as I hadn't seen many although Deifens siblings had quite a few but the vet explained that Advocate disolves the worms.  Not noticed any fleas so can't comment how effective Advocate is for fleas

Thanks. The fleas are from the cat so may be eggs in the house (treated with Frontline now not shop bought). I'm seeing the vet tomorrow for Elka see if they sell or can recommend a treatment for the house. I also keep Tarantulas so air born treatments would harm them.

Thanks. The fleas are from the cat so may be eggs in the house (treated with Frontline now not shop bought). I'm seeing the vet tomorrow for Elka see if they sell or can recommend a treatment for the house. I also keep Tarantulas so air born treatments would harm them.

Could u put them in a different room whilst you spray the room n then after a while put them back to spray other room? Not sure if that's doable for u not really sure if u could move them if they are in a tank or something?

Could u put them in a different room whilst you spray the room n then after a while put them back to spray other room? Not sure if that's doable for u not really sure if u could move them if they are in a tank or something?

Yes all in tanks and i have cut down now so not so many tanks to move. 

Jackie, since you say that you only occasionally see a flea, it might just be that it's one that Elka brought in with her from outside.  Most flea meds will kill them - but it still takes some time.

Since you have the T's there, you might want to consider boric acid powder - I've never used it as I've never had a major flea problem but I've heard it works. Check out this thread.

We've used Advocate on Kodiak since he was a baby. We get a lot of slugs and snails in the garden if it rains and this protects against lungworm among other things. He is so big now they have to use two tubes on him! 

Would you reccomend it over others then?? What flea treatment do you use?

Ah thanks for clearing that up. I was almost positive it did both but you never know. I think it is just as effective as separate treatments but we've only ever had to use it on Kodiak as our last 2 dogs were grown up and never bothered about the slugs and snails in the garden when we moved in. Our boys were only wormed, we've been really lucky with fleas :)

I may switch the cat to Advocate actually. She is murder to get a tablet down or should i say murderer! But will just about tolerate having something put on her neck while being restrained with a towel lol and a second pair of hands

Ah thanks for clearing that up. I was almost positive it did both but you never know. I think it is just as effective as separate treatments but we've only ever had to use it on Kodiak as our last 2 dogs were grown up and never bothered about the slugs and snails in the garden when we moved in. Our boys were only wormed, we've been really lucky with fleas :)

I wont lie i have not done mine for well over a year... but i will give this one a go :) i just feel they dont need it quite as much with being fed raw now 

I have never heard of advocate but I use frontline on each of my pets and they both came to me flea infested and that is what we used. We also went to my vet who gave us a spray and something to put on carpets and furniture for a few hours and then vacuum it up and we have not had fleas since. However, I will say do NOT use Hartz dog flea or tick or shampoo anything. It is proven to be deadly to animals (why it is still on the market no one knows)