How can I stop mu Huskys jumping on people

I took my dogs to Petsmart trainging classes and the trainer to told me to turn around thing and ignore will work but it does not work at alll. They still jump on people all the time and i tell them no and they still don't listen and i getting tire them jumping on people. What you guys thing i should to to stop that behavior?

You can try leaving a very short lead on them all the time. when they go to jump up, it gives you something to grab on to quickly making a quick correction while giving the "off" command.

edit: additionally i should add, take everything i say in terms of training with a grain of salt. i'm new myself and learning as i go.

I dont know but if you find out let me know - kobi jumps up all the time - not good when people are in nice clothes and they end up being kobified - he just cannot understand why people dont like his mud on their clothes lol - seriously though its very annoying - kobi even jumps when he is on the lead just to try and get a few steps in front god love him - let me know if you find the answer please

I would get a friend to help you. Let the friend come in the room and the moment the dog jumps on him/her, remove the dog from the room... sort of a "time-out"... wait for few seconds until the dog is calm and quiet, and bring him/her back in... repeat and repeat the excercise until the dog gets it... he/she jumps on a human and he/she will be removed from the room. Specially with huskies that are so family and pack oriented, they will get it fast as they don't like to be separated from humans... now, one thing to keep in mind is that during the whole excercise, I wouldn't talk much... actually it might even be better if the whole thing is done without any sounds or words... and only when the dog finally understands and lets your friend come in the room or house without jumping, you would do a lot of praise and rewards!.. lots of "GOOOOOD DOGGIE" praises!!!!

Hope this helps!!! (let me know if it does!... it worked like a charm with us and Shiloh who would get so excited when anyone came home, he would jump on the person... and we wanted to nip that behavior on the bud before he grew stronger)

Pawhugs!

Sandy

Guest snowdog

tie bricks to their feet, lol,

of course im only joking and i dont condone tying things to any animals feet, so use glue instead!

sorry, i use the treat method, jump no treat, sit get a treat, just keep repeating until the dog automatically sits, when greating anyone, works for mine, hope it helps xx

just found this on the internet and its something id heard about before ,its an idea and could be used along side other methods as a deterrent to jumping

Another method is to raise your knee as the dog begins his jump. Do not kick or knee your dog, just raise your knee to lift your foot a couple of inches off the ground. Instead of jumping on your body, your dog will come up against your raised knee and return to the ground. This method is not abusive or cruel if done correctly and will not physically harm your dog.

havent yet tried this on my boy but ill be trying all the methods hope this help

Teach them an alternative behaviour. They jump up to get attention, and they've learned at some point that they can win by doing so even if the attention is negative. Instead, teach them that they will not get attention until they sit. As soon as their bums hit the ground give lots of attention and praise. It's about retraining them so they learn a new way to get attention instead.

I agree with Sandy but I also would like to add 2 things. First use leash training and teach them to relax to get attention. do not pat, play or look at them unless they are sitting or laying down. The leash gives you control over the situation and should be very helpful. Also, feel free to use strong body language. When they come at you, bring your arms up to your chest, and bring a knee up as well. It seems mean, but once or twice of jumping up and right into your knee they will start to think twice about clobbering you. Use your hands as well...turn your palms out toward them as a sort of stop signal/sign, if they slow and wait, then command them to sit or lay down...when they follow directions pat them as a reward. Do Not use food treats for this, only patting and attention. It may help to have your spouse or freinds to walk them to you on leash so you can help your dogs practice greeting you calmly and sitting or laying down for attention. You can also do this for your friends by having them on leash and having the friend command the dog to sit and then having the friend reward them with patting. Basically, your pooches have become attention hogs and thing that its ok to greet you by jumping all over you and forcing you to pay them attention...lol...so now you will have to take the next 2 to 3 weeks to teach them how you, your family, and your friends should be greeted (and that if they want attention they must earn it).

• 1 month later...

Here is what i was told by a CGC (Canine Good Citizen) Trainer, she told me that when you puppy/dog tends to jump on people out of excitement put a leash on them when expecting company and have then sit by you while you talk or greet them, after about 5 to 10 min of sitting you can remove the leash but if they try and jump put it back on. What this teaches the dog is to sit or relax when others are arround and eventually they will stop jumping.

We used a training collar for this and got one of us really excited to entice Pongo to jump up, gave a quick correction with the "off" command and after 2 times, he's stopped doing this. We also try to make him sit before guests pet him. This way he knows if I don't sit I don't get petsbiggrin.gif

We taught Eika not to jump from the second she arrived in our house. We have a 2 year old son, so i had to make sure she wouldn't jump on him. And for the most part she is VERY good and will not jump on people, unless allowed!

We made her realise that unless that bum is on the floor sitting she will not get fuss or a treat. We would push/move away or use her collar to get her off us and as her feet touched the ground, say "off" - don't just stand there saying off off off off as they will learn that off means jump up.

get her into a controlledish sit and give fuss and treats!

A dog of any breed jumping up on people isn't just a sign of wanting attention. It also means they don't respect you as the alpha. Not correcting it right away is taken as a sign of weakness from the dog. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

I have to disagree with you on that one :) jumping up is often a learned behaviour i.e the dog has learnt that's how they get attention. Not really any different to a dog who learns to sit to get attention. I see my dogs jump up and rough house each other, it's certainly not always a sign of disrespect. A young pup who jumps up for attention does so because they simply haven't leant otherwise. I certainly don't think that any of the pups I've taught to sit instead of jumping up have seen learnng an alternative behaviour instead of "being corrected right away" as a sign of weakness. JMO :)