Computers Are Great! Not

Marc

So had a great night tonight. Sat with my comp last night and I've known that the barings on one of my large fans has been going for a fair while now. Only last night it gets extremely loud to the extent I had enough of it and switched my computer off it was that loud.

So figures I will change over the fan. This should be simple, only the case I bought (which was not a cheap case either) has the fan in a completely sealed unit. Basically my only option is to get a new case.

I'm quite picky when it comes to putting my computers together these days. I used to suffer with one particular computer I built with heat, and therefore ever since then I have bought cases with full cable management areas within them so I can get decent airflow.  Its taken me 4 and a half hours tonight to reset up my computer :(

Anyways, quite happy with it. This is the case I bought.

http://www.techfresh.net/aerocool-xpredator-white-edition-full-tower-pc-case/

Nice looking case!

It must be the time of year that fans decide to die - I just replaced my laptop's fan yesterday because it was not only making a lot of noise, but the rpms were WAY lower than what they should have been.

Laptops suck a load of crap in and usually there's nowhere for it to got other than clogging every thing up.

Laptops suck a load of crap in and usually there's nowhere for it to got other than clogging every thing up.

True. When I opened 'er up, dust was caked on everything. It was kinda gross. Thank god for compressed air and spludgers!

True. When I opened 'er up, dust was caked on everything. It was kinda gross. Thank god for compressed air and spludgers!

yeah, make sure you're wearing a surgical type mask before blowing that crap out, and. . . do it outside. too.

full towers have always been too big for my tastes but they do allow for great air flow. Usually when i clean my computer it hit it with a can of compressed air and a vacuum cleaner.

I heard a vacuum cleaner can actually short circuit the parts - something to do with how it creates the friction in the air.

I heard a vacuum cleaner can actually short circuit the parts - something to do with how it creates the friction in the air.

Correct. My dad found that out the hard way  :rolleyes: He was dusting of his fans and noticed that if he held the vacuum near the blades, it would spin and loads of dust would come of. What he didn't know was that these fans would also generate electricity causing his power supply to blow up. Needles to say, his computer was dead after that procedure.

Vacuum cleaning the other parts is fine though (on lowest power), as long as you make sure the fans don't spin.

Wedge the fan with something - pencil / finger etc when blasting it with a hoover as it could force the fan to spin too fast and damage it. Not sure if a compressed air can would be powerful enough to be a problem, but probably best to wedge the fan anyway

What are spludgers?

They're little nylon sticks you can use to poke and prod things. You can also use the flat end to scrape off dust on your fans (if you don't have any compressed air) or when compressed air otherwise won't work (ie: if the dust is caked on and the air won't blow it off.)

Wedge the fan with something - pencil / finger etc when blasting it with a hoover as it could force the fan to spin too fast and damage it. Not sure if a compressed air can would be powerful enough to be a problem, but probably best to wedge the fan anyway

Canned air will definitely burn out bearings if you don't have the fan blocked!

My next case is going to be one that has the board rotated 90 so that the ports are all on top!  I've seen a couple of them - a bit pricey - but I'm getting tired of having to move things to get to the "back side".

Correct. My dad found that out the hard way  :rolleyes: He was dusting of his fans and noticed that if he held the vacuum near the blades, it would spin and loads of dust would come of. What he didn't know was that these fans would also generate electricity causing his power supply to blow up. Needles to say, his computer was dead after that procedure.

Vacuum cleaning the other parts is fine though (on lowest power), as long as you make sure the fans don't spin.

I was beaten to the punch but the compressed air will do the same thing. The key is to make sure everything (including me) is grounded/psu is unplugged. Fans hold on to disgusting amount of dust so i usually tape them so they can't move. I used painter's tape as it is static resistant so dust does stick to it and accidentally get on to paint brushes/rollers but works equally well for fans. It also doesn't leave sticky residue, another plus.

just take a bit of tape, roll it up and wedge it in there, then use a second piece of tape to hold to the wedge in place.