Youngest age to buy a pup?

disciplined

Hi everyone!

I am on the hunt for a husky puppy. I live in los angeles, california and have been looking for a breeder to buy a husky from. I have done a lot of research but one question still remains unanswered:

What is the youngest age I should look for when buying a pup?

I want it as young as possible, but I also don't want to take the pup away from it's mother to early. I have heard 8 weeks is the safest age for the puppy development to take them away, but some are saying that 5 weeks is fine too. It seems 5 weeks is too young and even illegal in some states? Another number thrown out there is 12 weeks. That seems a little late.

My concern would be for the pup's nutrition and mental development when separated from the mother's milk and the rest of the litter.

While I am eager to get a puppy, I want to do the right thing so your advice is appreciated!

8 weeks is the best, sometimes, if the pups have been eating on their own and doing well, they can leave their mum at 7 weeks but it depends on the breeder.

At 5 weeks, they haven't developed enough, mentally or physically to be able to "go it alone"

What research have you been doing, is it on the right age to buy a puppy or about the breed? You need to know what you're letting yourself in for if you've not had a husky before lol

I got Isis at 7 weeks old, the bredder wasnt to keen on though as he wanted them collected at 6 weeks!

I would have preferred 8 weeks even better though - as thats the age ive had all of my other dogs at!

Research into the breed is the key for this type of dog - I done plnty of that before getting our first husky. But the guys here are great!

I would say 7 week is th absolute minimum.

We got Gizmo at 8 weeks as the breeder had that as her minimum age to let them go.

We got Marley and Bandit at 7 weeks as we were going to have their 1st injection with the breeders vet but it made it easier and cheaper if we had both injections at our vets so she allowed us to have them at 7 weeks instead of 8 weeks.

Let me try to clear a few thing up here...

1st, plz do- not to buy from a puppy farm or kennels they into breeding for the and nothing else, they will try to get you to take the pups asap as they are just a turnover for them.

2nd, The puppys need the 1st 4 weeks on the mothers milk weaning onto puppy milk 4-5 weeks 5th week they should be on soilds e.g puppy bisucts soaked in water maybe a little milk if you think they need it,6th,7,th and 8th week puppy bisucts soaked in water with water given inbetween.

3rd time to leave home ? anytime after 7 weeks never before and only the breeder should make the decision on this e.g our pups are dew to go on the 17th jan but come that date if we feel they need more time they will be getting more time ( the pups are more important than the new owners waiting for them )

4th 1st injection should not be given before the pups are 8 weeks old I know some vets will do it before this but I cant see the point as no pup should go outside till its 10 weeks and you cant take then out till 2 weeks after there 1st injection.

5th when you go to pick a puppy plz use your eyes ears nose, look around is the place full of dogs that are being looked over buys staff, do the dogs sound stressed, does the place stink as thou its unclean ?

If any of the apply then walk away and dont buy.

Wow thanks everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome.

I am going to stick with eight weeks. I have been reading up a lot about the breed and know about their mischievous/destructive/easily bored/stubborn/energetic tendencies (not to mention shedding!).

I have owned dogs before so I have some idea of training and maintenance. A friend who has had huskies for over 20 years is also helping me out.

I had another question regarding crating. This area has also been confusing with lots of sources saying different things. First is 8 weeks too early to crate? Some say that 8 weeks is too early to crate while others say to only keep them in there 30 minutes at a time, but all night is fine provided that you are near by. Does this make sense? If I shouldn't crate at 8 weeks then where should I keep him? At what age do I start crating over night?

I have already learned so much from these boards! Rock on!

Oh and I would never buy from a pet store or puppy mill. I'm looking for reputable breeders that only produce a few pups at a time and have been doing it for a while.

Sounds like you're ready to be owned by a husky then lol

With regards to crating, have a look at this thread http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37&page=2

I would crate him from the first night, I did with Kimba, yes he howled and cried but you have to ignore it, it's not cruel, it's safe for them, it's a new place and they're away from their mum nad siblings for the first time. Make sure you have a hot water bottle (not boiling water thought) and maybe a teddy he can cuddle upto with blankets, if possible, rub the blankets on the mum before you leave that way he will have a familiar scent and won't be as scared.

Sounds like you're ready to be owned by a husky then lol

With regards to crating, have a look at this thread http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37&page=2

I would crate him from the first night, I did with Kimba, yes he howled and cried but you have to ignore it, it's not cruel, it's safe for them, it's a new place and they're away from their mum nad siblings for the first time. Make sure you have a hot water bottle (not boiling water thought) and maybe a teddy he can cuddle upto with blankets, if possible, rub the blankets on the mum before you leave that way he will have a familiar scent and won't be as scared.

Great advice Sarah :)

thanks for pointing out the thread. I hope it wont be as bad as you had it, but at this point I am as prepared as I could possibly be (as far as I know). I don't know what else to do to prepare.

I'm going to use a big rabbit cage i have and section off parts of it until he gets bigger. I am free for a little while so I will be home to take care of him. I have heard lots of horror stories, but I haven't been deterred yet.

We shall see what happens.

Along with the great advice from Dunc, another reason to wait until eight weeks (or even ten if your breeder will allow) is the lessons the pup learns from his littermates and mom. It's during this impressionable time that the pups learn the base of their socialization skills with other dogs AND are taught to control their biting.

Pups taken before eight weeks are often those found to have problems with mouthing later. Pups need to learn never to put their mouth on a person. It's best for them to learn from their mom and mates from the very beginning and their best teacher is mom and litter mates, who will discipline the pup on biting.

Hope you find the perfect pup! Do your research and keep asking questions!