Yet another issue with Jelly's behavior D:.

It seems like every time I fix one problem with her, another pops up.

From food possession to socializing better, I can say she's been doing better in both those fields and now she has uh toy possession? I'm not sure if that's the term but she always had it when she was little but most of the time she wouldn't unless we were playing rope with her. So I thought everything was fine but now -- every toy she plays with, if I try to give her affection, she'll growl at me D: and then if I don't move my hand, she'll scrunch her nose and bare her teeth x: . I've never taken away a toy and not given it back to her and when I tell her to leave it, she'll give it back so I don't know why she's growling at me D: . It's really scary because one time she did bite me before I said the give it command :\ .

I don't know what to do.. she won't even let me pet her while she's chewing on a water bottle D: . Once the toy is gone though she'll go back to the affectionate dog and give kisses o_o so I don't really know what's up with her x;.

Yup at this age they like to push your buttons.

When they understand that you don't like them doing X/Y or Z.

they simply jump to A/B or C and start up trying something else.

Yep- she's testing her boundaries... Don't get frustrated, the easiest way is just re direct and use positive rewards. Have treats in your pocket when you go up to her and when you take the toy, give a treat and heavily praise, do this like 4 or 5 times each taking the toy,reward,praise, give it back. I did this around 4x a day.

sounds like my 5 month old Terra.. just being a puppy thats all...

all you can do is stay calm enjoy and use positive encouragment with some treats to gain what you want oh and be a master at catching when she launches herself at you when your on the sofa.

but any sign of growling when taking a toy or even food away.. sternly but calmly say " NO " dont then back off .. she needs to know that your in charge and if you want you will have..but make sure you always give a command to leave or give etc before taking.. i have had occasions with my older ones that at feeding time i will say the dogs name and throw a carcass to that one and another has snatched it but a strong stern " NO " and they soon drop it and realise that they have done wrong. no matter what mine have toy / food or anything they will give it up for me and will let me take it from there mouths.... and with training and patience there is no reason why you cant get this aswell.

Thanks guys lol. I honestly did not know this was part of the "teenage stage" ;-;.

And [MENTION=7252]Christine0925[/MENTION]: She's already been doing that for the past few weeks :P. She jumps everywhere now and even sometimes stand on me while I'm lying down on the couch, then I'd have to push her to get her off or else she'd probably ignore me and do her thing and sniff the cracks in the couch. D:.

But thank you for the advice! I guess I should re-read my husky books because I didn't expect this +_+ Was so not prepared for the teenage stage.

Oh boy I remember that stage >_< LOL Kiana was bear with water, toys, heck anything she thought should be hers she tried that with. Between being firm and showing her in no uncertain terms I was NOT happy with that behavior she eventually learned. If she is flattening her head and growling or showing teeth I would use a tone that shows you are very unhappy with that and use a treat as a trade to begin with. For me it was HEY or NU UH when she stopped the obvious signs of argument I pulled out a treat and said leave it and when she backed off the toy or water just a smidge she got rewarded then I took the toy or water. Rinse and repeat. Depending on how easily she gives up this may take some time. With the water only took about an hour. With her toys a couple weeks. Now I'm working on raw bones and THIS is a nightmare lol. She'll give it for a treat but she still is very unpleased with it. She's 3 btw now haha. It's just a way of them trying to see if they can weasel their way higher in the pecking order I wouldn't be afraid of it use is as a good training and learning tool. You can learn so much about her at this stage: how far to push, how far she'll push back, how to get on her good side, how to show she has seriously displeased you, and so on. It's a great time to be with her if you let it be :) Good luck deary keep us updated :D

just keep doing what you're doing. Be firm, consistent and try your best not to be scared. I wonder if telling her "no" while she's growling would help? But don't take the toy away as a punishment for growling at you. That'll teach her that there actually IS a reason to protect her toys

[MENTION=3404]SolitaryHowl[/MENTION]:

So growling is ok? I'ma bit confused on your post lol.

Or because I say growling is bad she goes to the next step> Bite?

[MENTION=8643]Sequoia[/MENTION]:

I'm pretty sure it is that. Starting yesterday she started growling at me when I put my hand on her back while she was eating and this morning it got even worse that I just squatted down to look at her (She was eating in her kennel) and her ears went flat and she started growling. I'm not sure how to react to that but every time I said no growling she'd growl even louder and basically put her nose in the bowl and not eat even though there was NO way I could take her food since my hand wouldn't fit in the kennel holes.

It used to be I could leave my hand in the bowl and play with the food and she would just ignore me and continue eating or I could put my hand on her cheek and she would still eat.

1 thing she does do is she doesn't growl when I put the food outside the cage and in my lap and make her eat. She seems completely fine and does no growling when that is the case.

It's just in her kennel she is very very protective x: .

@SolitaryHowl:

So growling is ok? I'ma bit confused on your post lol.

Or because I say growling is bad she goes to the next step> Bite?

@Sequoia:

I'm pretty sure it is that. Starting yesterday she started growling at me when I put my hand on her back while she was eating and this morning it got even worse that I just squatted down to look at her (She was eating in her kennel) and her ears went flat and she started growling. I'm not sure how to react to that but every time I said no growling she'd growl even louder and basically put her nose in the bowl and not eat even though there was NO way I could take her food since my hand wouldn't fit in the kennel holes.

It used to be I could leave my hand in the bowl and play with the food and she would just ignore me and continue eating or I could put my hand on her cheek and she would still eat.

1 thing she does do is she doesn't growl when I put the food outside the cage and in my lap and make her eat. She seems completely fine and does no growling when that is the case.

It's just in her kennel she is very very protective x: .

I've seen dogs end up at the shelter, then being put down (not adoptable), because they would bite before they would growl. (They wouldn't growl before they'd bite...if that's a better way to say it) There was a pattern - almost all of the owners corrected their dog for growling instead of the bad behaviour (ie: guarding).

Growling is okay... because it warns people the dog doesn't like something. If you correct for growling, the dog learns that growling is 'not okay', then it has no choice but to nip or bite to show how it feels.

I don't have any actual experience, as I've never had to deal with guarding before...but I've learned this off of the forums:

- To correct resource guarding, 'trade' the item the dog is protecting with a higher value item.

- Praise the dog when you successfully take the item away (and give them the higher valued treat or whatever)

- Do not give the item you 'took' from them back right away...I heard that will teach them: when they give you a thing , and you trade with another thing, afterwards they will immediately get the original thing back.

Which isn't the case when you have to take something away from them they aren't allowed to have (if they steal people food), or etc.

- To correct resource guarding, 'trade' the item the dog is protecting with a higher value item.

- Praise the dog when you successfully take the item away (and give them the higher valued treat or whatever)

- Do not give the item you 'took' from them back right away...I heard that will teach them: when they give you a thing , and you trade with another thing, afterwards they will immediately get the original thing back.

Which isn't the case when you have to take something away from them they aren't allowed to have (if they steal people food), or etc.

I get it when she's guarding her toys but when it comes to food I don't know what she would want better than her food o-o. Sure, she'll accept food from me but does that mean when she growls when I'm near her food, offer her more food and when she takes it take away her bowl? Then hold the bowl for awhile then a few minutes give her her bowl back?

It seems more understandable for toy guarding since there are other toys you can trade for and not have to give it back since there are so many other toys but should I do the same for food? o_o.

For food, I'd start small.

Ex: If she's guarding a milkbone...trade her with something she sees as 'better' than the milkbone...like another treat she likes better.

If she's guarding her kibble, trade her with a treat she may like better (I find packaged liver treats work very well)

If she's guarding a raw bone...well...good luck cause I haven't figured out a way to top that. Suka sees the raw bone/meat as the ultimate treat and he runs away if I even go close. LOL

I started doing this today but I find it kind of weird...

Usually I'm always with her when she eats so I can watch her and attempt to not have her growl at me when I touch her but today at dinner, I had to warm up food for my parents so I put the food in her kennel and left and she didn't eat her food until I came back out in her view.

Probably going to see what happens tomorrow since I haven't made much progress ):.

Still have the growling/teeth issue when the bowl is in her kennel. Did have a little growling when the bowl was in my possession and I let her eat it but not nearly as bad as when it's in her kennel. It's non-stop growling when I'm near + not eating versus growl every 20-30 sec but continuing to eat a little here and there.

Thanks for the response though!

im going through the teenage syage with loki aswell, he is fine with food tous etc, he is only testing me at dog class with the lie down command haha, i didnt know about this either, it was my tutor that informed me, but they will soon grow out of it, just takes time, hope she grows out of it soon xx