Hello & some advice Please!!

Hello,

I have ahave just joinedthis group as I have two lovely Huskies!!

Blitz (6) is my husband's baby and Shadow (1) who is mine.

Shadow however, is a tad bit crazy and we have been advised that getting a rig may help. We really don;t have loads of money to spend on one and need to find out about training them on it but we thought it would be fun for us and for them!

Can anyone give me some advice on where to get a good second hand Rig for not much money and also the best way to train my babies??

Look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,

Vikki

are u just tryin 2 tire him out abit? if u r n cnt afford 2 rig what about getting a long lead if u have a feild near u? i take my boy blaze to a big field occassionally n i have a 100ft lead for him so he can run n roam as he pleases it tires him out a treat :) if u r deffo wanting a rig tho then theres a few ppl on here who run their dogs who will b able 2 help u out

welcome to the pack cnt w8 2 c sum pics ov ur furbabies :)

Hi Vikki and welcome to the site :) I will keep a look out for you and PM you with any info if i see anything that comes up!

SHCGB website is onje of the good places to watch, but be warned they do go pretty quickly so if you see something thats suitable and in your price range jump at it!!!

Running the dogs in harness is a fabulous experience for both the dogs and yourself.....try and get along to some rallies, you will get to meet some great people and most are more than happy to talk huskies all day! Just bare in mind you'll be better to approach people after they have finished running! ;)

Where are you based? You are more than welcome to come along some time when we're training and you can see what its all about :) We will be more than willing to point you in the right direction! That is if your not hundreds of miles away ;)

There are a number of things you will need to run your dogs in harness on a rig, 3rd party insurance, permits etc....I am more than happy to have a chat with you about it all at some point!

If your not that close to us I will take a look at our diary and let you know which rallies we will be at nearish you, we will be happy to introduce you to our pack and chat all day long! That is once we've run as its a little crazy before hand! Lyn another member on here, and my partner in crime I'm sure will also be happy to help! :) If your hubby isnt as into as you he can join with our respective OHs and sit saying that we're all mental!!!!!

Hi Vikki, I'm not the best person to answer your Q but what we do (not me bad back i'm afraid) is to get the oldest two to pull my other half on his skateboard. Me and pup walk normally and he skates up and down til we get to the pond and they get tired which is good cos come 4pm on a sunday afternoon all three are sparked out on the front room floor.... bliss xx

Hey Vikkie and welcome.

I love the name Blitz but not as much as shadow lol All of my little pets when I was younger was called shadow lol

Im no help with the question I'm afraid as I have no clue about rigs, I'm sure there's plenty of others who can help you or send you in the right direction though :D

I can't wait to see some picci's of your two.

welcome to the pack :D

You don't HAVE to have a rig - have you thought about a bike or scooter?

I would strongly advise though before you get them on a rig/bike/scooter teach them the basic commands - gee, haw, hike on, woahhhh - start whilst out walking on a leash, when you feel comfortable that they are ok with these, then get them hooked up :)

Can't wait to see some pics of them :)

Hey Vikki and fmaily welcome to the pack :D

brilliant advise on here already! Like sarah says you dont have to fork out alot of money getting a rig, you can go for a scooter or even use your own bike :)

Ive been teaching mine by giving them the commands on a walk. The cammands I use are:

Gee - Right

Haw - Left

On By - Carry on (I use this when going past anything that could cause my boys to change direction when I dont want them too, like gateways/driveways/paths or roads turning off/even when people, dogs, animals cross our pathway etc etc)

Hike - Go/Run

Whoa - Stop (Very vital lol)

Wow thanks for all the advice guys may well look into the bike thing!

Shadow is not very good on a lead but to fair tohi I need to sepnd more time training him one to one, to gert him up to scratch!

I will practice the comands as well. We thouh it would be fun to get a rig but might test and see how they go on bikes!

Mine come of the lead and run miles when they we take them out but I feel he needs bit more!

I'll put some photo on now for everyoneto see and thank you very much again!

Viks