Snake shedding

Now, I know snakes are not everyone's cup of tea (!) but I have 3 & love 'em! I have 2 large male corns, about 5.5' long and a baby female, 27" long.

The female shed today & I had the bright idea (!) of posting a few pics for you to see! I have photo'd her looking out of her hide, a close up of her, a pic of the whole snake skin & a close up of the head of the shed skin. Many non-snake people don't realise snakes should shed all in one piece, it shows a healthy snake. Also, did you know they shed out of the mouth of the skin, so you end up with what looks like a hollow snake! When they shed, they also get the eyes covered with skin, which sheds too (see close up against my finger).

So, I'm happy to declare my little girl is a healthy as can be, eats fuzzies (baby mice that have a coating of fur (dead ones!)) and is doing very nicely in her new temporary home.

Baby_corn_shed_009_copy.jpg Baby_corn_shed_008_copy.jpg Baby_corn_shed_001_copy.jpg Baby_corn_shed_004.jpg

nice pics val i used to have 2 boa constrictors rastas a boy was 10 ft long and fat lol rastella was only 8ft and slim they started on mice then rats then baby rabbits and finished on adult rabbits i loved them when i was home i used to let them just roam the house but had to keep toilet door shut lol, my son had all their skins hanging on his bedroom wall so he could see how they had grown xxx

we have snakes aswell, 2 corns and a royal python :D aswell as 7 leopard geckos, a beardie, an asian sun skink and a chili rose trantula

wooahhhh!!!! I was just beginning to like you then until you mentioned Tarantula - arrgghhhhhhhh

:running: run away!!!!!

Question for you all - what are your dogs like around them, I know they don't dart about like rabbit or anything so maybe the instinct to kill them isn't as great but just tonight, Kaiser was trying to chase a worm - don't laugh - it was in the gravel in the back garden and was determined to get it so with snakes etc, i'm presuming you let them out to have a wander / slither - do you have to keep your dogs away?

we can have any of ours out with kira in the room, we just keep a close eye on her. its not something we had to train her to do tho, she came running into the room once when 5 of the geckos were on the bed and she looked over and sat down, didnt wanna come any closer lol. maybe shes scared lol

we've never had Myshka in the room when the snakes or dragons are out, likewise now with Diesel, we put the dogs in the garden when the others come out. The snakes are in a viv Steve built & is on the wall above the pc, about 5' by 4.5', well out of the way - the dragons are in a converted tallboy, Steve took the doors off & made the body into 2 vivs with a drawer in between. The dogs can see the females in the bottom viv, Myshka's never bothered but Diesel was fascinated the first few days with us, but ignores them now!

Will hunt out a few pics of the vivs & beardies

Here is the viv Steve made for the snakes - we bought a pine panelled door from B&Q, Steve cut it around the 4 panels, the 2 long panels make the top & bottom & the 2 smaller panels make the sides. Then get heavy, toughened glass for sliding doors & a wooden back & Hey Presto! One viv!

That's the baby female in the plastic tub, she'd get eaten by the other 2 cos she's tiny!

snake_viv_copy.jpg

wkd pics val :) we had few corns at college. We had two really tiny females and two big males.

Talking of shedding I have a shed somewhere from George, the carpet python, from college and also one of the everglades rat snakes too :) will see if I can find them and will get some pics :) I know the python one aint a perfect shed as in sections but the main body is in one piece :) Think its only the tail end and lower jaw that's not attached.