Had Enough......

Sarah

Of being dragged everywhere i go with my boys so am from NOW walking them on a half check collar they WILL walk by my side :mad:

I've bought them one each today and am off out now to try them out have no idea how to stop them pulling - i can't take one out without the other as they scream and cry - ffn babies i know and Marc isn't here to help plus when i take them in a morning he's getting ready for work so we only really walk the boys together at weekends.

Wish me luck will report back later if i'm still in one piece!

My plan of action is to have kaiser on my left and kimba on my right as my right arm is stronger lol short leads, shoulders back, head up pack leader mode - this will prob last about 30 seconds until a cat runs past me but hey ho - i'm going to put my mind to it and i WILL stop them pulling :D:D

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ah, okay. i've seen those. hope it works out for you. we'll be trying a few different ones with Kaiya as soon as she is around the size she will be as an adult. right now she is growing so fast we are just trying to keep it simple and cheap. looking forward to hearing your results.

Sarah something i do when kavik see's something he wants to get to & starts to try to dragh me along is to put his collar high up[ on his neck close behind the ears & it stops him pulling instantly, just watch the half chack collars don't come over the ears though, this works on my dogs. Mishka is no problem as she dosen't pull hardly, heaven to walk her.

Sarah something i do when kavik see's something he wants to get to & starts to try to drag me along is to put his collar high up on his neck close behind the ears & it stops him pulling instantly, just watch the half chack collars don't come over the ears though, this works on my dogs. Mishka is no problem as she dosen't pull hardly, heaven to walk her.

ooopppssss posted it twice somehow.

ohhh i'm back!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!

Kaiser spun and did a bit of a dance :confused: at first but the ended up with Kimba on my left and Kaiser on my right - hmmm wanted it the other way around but hey ho - anyhow, off we go, my friend came with her rottie so we had a bit of a bouncing session when they met but then i walked ahead and they stayed behind, kaiser was PERFECT!!! 10/10 Kimba well - 8/10 he still pulled but didn't drag me half as much as he normally does when on a walk RESULT :up:

Will definitely use these again! Had to tighten the collar a bit though whilst out as was a bit worried of them slipping them.

Had them on a short leash as well and when we got nearer to the field, Kimba started to tug so i slipped the collar under his ears and it worked like a dream!

Added to rep - always good to have the good and bits on to get a better idea - looks like they had the plastic clip bits on those - luckily, these aren't the plastic clippy thingies so am hoping they don't loosen over time - seems to be the ones bought from pets at home as well - glad i didn't get them from there

oh these look better - no clips or alterations needed http://www.annrees.co.uk/dogs/collars/dog_collars_padded.htm

The only issue with those ones is that they can be hard to get the right fit.

I have one similar to the one you bought - you won't have a problem with it going over their heads if you fit it properly.

Martingales/limited slip collars should be fitted at the top of the dog's neck, behind his ears. See how I have Mishy's here?

IMG_1931.jpg

I fit it so the two sides of the collar will never touch, that way you know that it won't slip over their heads and it gives you much more control especially compared to a flat collar or harness!

Having said that I just had a custom designed leather martingale made for Micha - it should arrive today!!! It was hand made, cut and hand stitched. I chose the design. I am anxious to see if our measurements were precise enough that the collar will fit properly!

I must admit Sarah, I was always flumoxed as to why you walked them on a belt and harness, surely all that does is encourage them to pull.

I always walk my dogs on a conventional lead as I get better control when i need to and find it easier to train them. Ozzy and Kiana both walk to heel, but Ozzy can be a pain and pull to start.

Keep it up and you'll have them walking to heel in no time.

Steve

yeah short lead and harness works to an extent for me too but i like them to have a bit of freedom as well when they're sniffing about.

on our way to the field tonight, kaiser was sniffing and trotting along side and bit by bit i made his lead a bit longer and it still worked ok :)

Yeah that's what Kaiser was like tonight - i was so impressed :D he just needs to tell his brother how to do it now and i'm laughing!

Marc's home tomorrow night so going to get him to walk kaiser and i'll walk kimba and get some one on one with him, that should help

Don't forget to reward them when they do the right thing. The more you reinforce the behaviour the more consistent they will be. Take some treats with you or if they are toy driven, a tug or ball and reward them when they are walking nicely.

I also work on getting Micha's focus on a walk by using the look command, I'll ask him to look and I'll give him a treat when he complies. If you are going to walk them on a longer leash you can also incorporate the recall command too, if you don't already.

With Kimba, try this in combination to the martingale collar you are walking him on - as soon as he surges ahead and the leash goes tight, do a quick, sharp 180 degree turn.When he catches up to you treat and praise him. As soon as he does it again and the leash goes tight, do it again - a quick sharp turn on your heel. Teach him that as soon as he pulls and the leash goes tight, he loses the opportunity to walk where he wants to go.

Don't forget to reward them when they do the right thing. The more you reinforce the behaviour the more consistent they will be. Take some treats with you or if they are toy driven, a tug or ball and reward them when they are walking nicely.

I also work on getting Micha's focus on a walk by using the look command, I'll ask him to look and I'll give him a treat when he complies. If you are going to walk them on a longer leash you can also incorporate the recall command too, if you don't already.

With Kimba, try this in combination to the martingale collar you are walking him on - as soon as he surges ahead and the leash goes tight, do a quick, sharp 180 degree turn.When he catches up to you treat and praise him. As soon as he does it again and the leash goes tight, do it again - a quick sharp turn on your heel. Teach him that as soon as he pulls and the leash goes tight, he loses the opportunity to walk where he wants to go.

lol. do you live down the street from us and did you teach our beginner obedience course? same advice we received!. added to rep