Help !! Husky is losing all of her fur !!

Hello new here, and I have been having a problem I need some help with -- So I decided to buy a Siberian Husky off of Kijiji. Well. When I got her she seemed healthy except two quarter size patches of fur missing. I thought nothing of it. They gave me me permission to call the vet. When I called the vet I was informed she was only dewormed and given heartguard. She had NO shots. So I took her to get up to date on ALL of her vaccines and had a culture done. Nothing came of the culture. No growth. So I thought everything was fine. She was blowing her coat as normal, then I noticed all of her guard hairs starting to come out. Took her back in and had a skin scrape. Nothing. I just took her in again two days ago because the hair loss is becoming worse. They did a blood, urine, and fecal test. Still waiting on results. She is on Blue Wilderness so it can't be because of a bad diet, also she is given no table scraps. Hoping they find something after doing this. This is becoming very costly and frustrating !! The woman is ignoring my texts and when I did talk to her said the dog was perfectly fine when she had her >:(

Has anyone ever experienced this before? Maybe someone can give me some advice or an idea. If you notice down the one side of her neck almost all of her is missing and is very thin. And patch like areas on her back from guard hair coming out. It looks awful !!

This is the day we got her.

Picture005.jpg

This is a picture about a week after having her.

Picture014.jpg

This is about 3 weeks after owing her.

Picture038-1.jpg

And these pictures were taken today. About a month and a half of owning her.

Picture379.jpg

Picture385.jpg

Picture380.jpg

Picture381.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

completely normal :) shes just shedding out her winter coat ready for summer , my girls just done the same

it will grow back dont worry :)

check out her now and then pics :) 1st pic was taken yesterday the 2nd pic was taken november 2011

post-9324-14000962013419_thumb.jpg

an hours brushing n still didnt get it all out

534409_10150624093536681_714381680_9485733_593279512_n.jpg

post-95-13586034760579_thumb.jpg

how old is she? It is hard to really see any missing patches from the pics, she just looks like she is blowing / has blown her coat. When we rescued our 3rd husky at Christmas, he had been wearing a half choker, the metal rings had pulled his fur & he had lost all the guard hairs on the left side of his neck. As he blew his coat, bare patches were starting to show on the front of his chest too, again, from the half choker. Thankfully, he is now regrowing his fur & it is all coming back in nicely, you can't see it any more (he wears no collar in the house to help the fur grow back). Kaviq looked very like your pics there. Did she wear a collar before coming to you? What kind (if she did)?

I agree, she does look lovely. And welcome!

Yeah, but, Nix...Suka doesn't look like that when he's done blowing his coat. I guess they're all individuals though...

EDIT: And Suka, my husky, has had his Martingale collar for 3 years...and he hasn't had any problems with his neck fur. Hm...

I agree, she does look lovely. And welcome!

Yeah, but, Nix...Suka doesn't look like that when he's done blowing his coat. I guess they're all individuals though...

EDIT: And Suka, my husky, has had his Martingale collar for 3 years...and he hasn't had any problems with his neck fur. Hm...

yup , Blaze has never shed out his undercoat like skyla has but when skyla blows she BLOWS lol

Thanks everyone. I have never seen a Husky with such a thin summer coat before. So I was worried. Also with the patches on her feet. The one on the top of her head had grown its fur back.. But to me her back looks un even.. Could be the coloring that may give it that look. I can see her skin on the one side of her neck and on her chest/neck. hen I got her she always wore a choke collar. I just use a plain collar I bought at petsmart.. Looks like a seatbelt. Lol. But here are the other pictures.

I hope it is only from her blowing her coat. But If it is I will feel stupid for paying so much at the vet over this !! Ugh :facepalm:

Oh by the way she is 11 months old, will be a year old may 19th (:

Picture392.jpg

Picture395.jpg

Picture394.jpg

Picture391.jpg

Picture389.jpg

Picture390.jpg

Oh and Bing,Blaze'n'Skyla, WOW. What a HUGE difference. After seeing the pictures of your girl I guess it actually was nothing to worry about :oops: !! And she has such pretty eyes (: After seeing how thin her fur was I got worried and though it could be something that could have been from those 3 missing patches on her feet and head.

Oh and Bing,Blaze'n'Skyla, WOW. What a HUGE difference. After seeing the pictures of your girl I guess it actually was nothing to worry about :oops: !! And she has such pretty eyes :) After seeing how thin her fur was I got worried and though it could be something that could have been from those 3 missing patches on her feet and head.

my girls neck goes exactly the same way so thats deffo down to her coat blow

however the feet thing isnt something ive noticed in a blow - does she chew her feet at all?

i think i have pics of her neck from her last blow when i was also worried , ill try and find the pics for you and post them up

Skylas coat looks slightly thicker than Yukis, but everything else looks the same. Did she lose anymore fur from her neck after the photo was taken? Too bad I didnt come here before taking her to the vet, could have saved some money about 300 :(

And no she doesnt chew on her feet or lick them. She had a spot like this on her head too( in the first three pictures you can maybe make it out -- it's above the eye that's brown, just it looks like a light patch in the gray fur.) She does break out of her kennel when I leave so I have to put clips on the corners of it. Could be from this I suppose.

Skylas coat looks slightly thicker than Yukis, but everything else looks the same. Did she lose anymore fur from her neck after the photo was taken? Too bad I didnt come here before taking her to the vet, could have saved some money about 300 :(

And no she doesnt chew on her feet or lick them. She had a spot like this on her head too( in the first three pictures you can maybe make it out -- it's above the eye that's brown, just it looks like a light patch in the gray fur.) She does break out of her kennel when I leave so I have to put clips on the corners of it. Could be from this I suppose.

its a bad pic but it looked really bald, ill try n get another for u but shes sleeping atm so i dont wanna disturb her lol

im no expert but the patches on her feet dont look sore so might just have been from rubbing from the clips

hopefully some1 else will have some input for you too

its a bad pic but it looked really bald, ill try n get another for u but shes sleeping atm so i dont wanna disturb her lol

im no expert but the patches on her feet dont look sore so might just have been from rubbing from the clips

hopefully some1 else will have some input for you too

Oh thanks. When she wakes up of coarse, lol. Yeah. The vet did a skin scrape and a culture around those areas and found nothing.

That's what I was thinking. She was an escape artist at her previous home. I had no idea so we put her in the kennel and came home to blinds torn up. Now we put clips on it and bought that Kong crate. Only gets out when there are no clips, which Im guessing why she was on Kijiji -- doesn't like to be alone.

When we got Eponine it had been so long since she'd had a brush or bath, she had some bald spots on her ears from an untreated tic infestation as well. She essentially went through a Wisconsin winter with NO undercoat because her skin had been so damaged/matted before she got that initial bath that Cathy gave her when she picked her up. She's had a blow this spring, a new coat is starting to finally come in, a lot healthier than the last as well.

It could be the beginnings of a hot spot or a skin infection...we've found that popping a tbsp of apple cider vinegar into the dogs water in the morning has reduced the frequency of inflamation/improved the coat. There are creams you can get....we got one for Fox when one of his elbows was looking questionable, I'd keep an eye on it and watch for signs of infection. I'm not certain whether or not this falls in line with zink deficiency but I know that not a lot of vets are familiar with such...

The other possibility is that it's just a really intense blow. Hope she feels better sooner rather than later.

When we got Eponine it had been so long since she'd had a brush or bath, she had some bald spots on her ears from an untreated tic infestation as well. She essentially went through a Wisconsin winter with NO undercoat because her skin had been so damaged/matted before she got that initial bath that
gave her when she picked her up. She's had a blow this spring, a new coat is starting to finally come in, a lot healthier than the last as well.

It could be the beginnings of a hot spot or a skin infection...we've found that popping a tbsp of apple cider vinegar into the dogs water in the morning has reduced the frequency of inflamation/improved the coat. There are creams you can get....we got one for Fox when one of his elbows was looking questionable, I'd keep an eye on it and watch for signs of infection. I'm not certain whether or not this falls in line with zink deficiency but I know that not a lot of vets are familiar with such...

The other possibility is that it's just a really intense blow. Hope she feels better sooner rather than later.

We thought it could be ringworm or demodex. But turned out it was niether. I am keeping an eye on them though. The hair is starting to grow back and she doesnt seem to bother with it at all. The vet told me to put Lamisil on her spots because she thought it could be fungal. And I was given steroids for her to take over hairloss. Which I guess none of this was needed. I am going to try that. I heard you can give them the fish oil pills too?

She sounds lucky to have found you guys. Poor girl :(

btw StarCrossed since no one has talked about this yet, I'd like to add about the small bald spots on her legs. I have just had the very same problem with my boy, and the lovely people here told me that those bald spots are caused by him sleeping on the floor. Does your dog has a dog bed? Does she like it? Encourage her to sleep on her dog bed and the fur in her bald spots will grow back :)

D had the same kinda bald patches on his left leg (not as big but still scary) The hair would come out really easily like tufts and had black 'dust' right at the end. I thought it was fleas or something.

But it was a scab that was coming off with the hair, because my little chi X is a ferral little sod when they play!

But now Ds blowing and he has a bald neck like skyla had.

Damn dogs know how to worry us lol

But it was a scab that was coming off with the hair,

I dont think it is a scab coming off. It is just pink skin. Was a little red but once I put cream on it it had gotten better.

But now Ds blowing and he has a bald neck like skyla had.

Damn dogs know how to worry us lol

Oh she does !! We just got her and I was worried someone got one over on us, and of coarse if there was something wrong with her. I wouldnt want to be uncomfortable, but turns out it is nothing anyways. Haha.

Yeah. I hope her neck comes back. I've never seen a Husky with such a thin coat. She looked much better when she had a full coat on her, that's for sure.

btw
since no one has talked about this yet, I'd like to add about the small bald spots on her legs. I have just had the very same problem with my boy, and the lovely people here told me that those bald spots are caused by him sleeping on the floor. Does your dog has a dog bed? Does she like it? Encourage her to sleep on her dog bed and the fur in her bald spots will grow back
:)

You know I think that is a good idea. We have hard wood floors. Also she does not have a crate pad anymore. I tried to give her one and it was destroyed in a week so I put her in the kennel with nothing :( ( Im horrible ) She does like the kitchen floor because it is cooler :)

Thank you for all of the replies everyone. Seeing and knowing everyones Huskies have different coat types and mine is not the only one who has suck a thin coat is nice, I was wondering if I should take her out to the dog park because I thought people might think I was bringing a sick dog in with their dogs :D

I would take her to the vet and ask, But I can look around and see what I can find for you if you want.;)

That's how I found this forum. Googling things about Huskies. But I have taken her to the vet. The first time to get her up to date on all of her vaccines and a culture. A second time for a skin scrape. And then a third for blood work, urine and fecal sample test ( still waiting for a call ) So all of this money spent later I have found out that is almost for certain it is a coat blow. Poo :( At least I know she is healthy Hahaha :D

That's how I found this forum. Googling things about Huskies. But I have taken her to the vet. The first time to get her up to date on all of her vaccines and a culture. A second time for a skin scrape. And then a third for blood work, urine and fecal sample test ( still waiting for a call ) So all of this money spent later I have found out that is almost for certain it is a coat blow. Poo :( At least I know she is healthy Hahaha :D

Well I'm soo sorry for your husky, and I hope the best for you.;)