Advice on micro-chipping

Hi all, hope you are all well. I have a question about micro-chipping. How old was your husky when you had him/her micro-chipped? My husky, Hiko, is 6 months old now and i've been told by a friend to get him done now. My concern though is that he is already the size of many fully grown huskies and still has a lot to go and if i have him micro-chipped now it will move around before he is fully grown. Any advice or thoughts are welcomed. Thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with both the above. However, You dont have to have your dog micro chipped. They can be tatooed in their ear. My last rescue was done like this. It was in green ink, and you had to look carefully to see it. Some breeders prefer not to chip their dogs

Mine were chipped at 12 weeks. Whenever we go to the vet to have the huskies weighed, they do a check to see that the chip is still where it is suposed to be.

I do the same and even have there passports amended if the chip has moved a bit further then I would like..

Mine was chipped at 6 months. But regardless of when you chip him, it will still move around, you might as well have him chipped now.

Here they are eliminating the tattoos as form of identifying the dog and if you want to travel, the dog has to be chipped.

diva was chipped at 10 weeks and i had her scanned saturday make sure it was still where they put it and it is and she is now 10months

I agree with both the above. However, You dont have to have your dog micro chipped. They can be tatooed in their ear. My last rescue was done like this. It was in green ink, and you had to look carefully to see it. Some breeders prefer not to chip their dogs

Not being funny (I'm fairly new to this!) but:

what are the pros / cons of chipping / not chipping? I have only been a dog owner (keeper? food provider?) for about 7 months now, and the last dog I had in the family was when I was a kid, so a) I had no say in these things and B) may not have understood anyway.

The chipping process only took a couple of seconds compared to *a bit longer* for a tattoo - is there any advantage for a tattoo other than it is visible to those without a scanner thingy?

Who do some breeders prefer not to chip?

If you do however want to travel to mainland Europe he needs to be chipped....

Can you expand on this please? I am in the UK, which is not *strictly speaking* 'mainland' Europe (not for the last 6000 or so years, when the 'land bridge' became flooded), or are you referring to people from outside Europe? We may at some point want to take our two to other parts of Europe

Mine was chipped at 6 months. But regardless of when you chip him, it will still move around, you might as well have him chipped now.

Here they are eliminating the tattoos as form of identifying the dog and if you want to travel, the dog has to be chipped.

Where is 'here' for you? Do you know why they are stopping the tattoos in favour of the chips? Both of our two are chipped not tattooed just curious...

Can you expand on this please? I am in the UK, which is not *strictly speaking* 'mainland' Europe (not for the last 6000 or so years, when the 'land bridge' became flooded), or are you referring to people from outside Europe? We may at some point want to take our two to other parts of Europe

ok I mean for instance France, Belgium Netherlands etc...you dogs need to be chipped, travel with European passports and vaccinated against rabies...

Echo was chipped around 7 months old, when she was spayed. As for it moving, I don't know the answer to that, but I can tell you that I work at a shelter and when we get a stray dog, when we're checking for a chip, we scan all around the dog's body, just in case! Hopefully other places do the same. :)

we take our dogs to france every year, and for them to confirm your dog is actually who you say it is you have to have them chipped.

the chip can move, one of mine has his chip at the top of his left leg, but we have stated this in his passport.

doesnt really matter when you get them chipped, but the main benifits of a chip is if the dog get off his lead, and their tag goes missing there is still a chip in their neck which can identify them. further to this most pounds/kennels that pick dogs up charge more to release the dog to you if they are not chipped, as they will chip them before you can get your dog back.