Tamaskan dog

Heard of them and have two that go regularly to my dog park :) They are awesome dogs pretty much a GSD in wolf's clothing LOL. Very trainable and very friendly but very hard to come by. There's a huge controversy over the breed because of some very bad breeding decisions from someone on the east coast (sorry you can google the details it's a very heated subject or you can pm me and I can further explain) and so if you want a TRUE Tamaskan pretty much the best option is to get one overseas in the UK. I have a wonderful forum that is dedicated to the true nature of the breed and have set the inital breed standard if your interested. Like most new breeds you want to wait some years before diving in to one so they can hammer out the genetic issues and get a good solid line going. They are really amazing dogs though it's the next breed I want to get when I get settled :)

I met one at a dog show (he was an ambassador for the breed) and I wasn't very impressed. Looked too shepherd like to me and it was afraid of strangers. I'm sure they're not all like that, but that's the only one I've met.

oh, I don't want one, my next dog will be another husky. I just saw them and thought they were a beautiful breed and had interesting characteristics. I do agree that it would be a good idea for someone to wait a while to see how they progress, being such a new breed and all. either way, beautiful dogs.

LOL ah I see. They really are amazing dogs unfortunately a few bad decisions have already been made here in the US that has set this breed on a very rocky slope and I honestly wouldn't get one unless it was from over seas which is beyond expensive :confused: They don't have much if any husky in them it's primarily a mix of GSD, Mal, and I think Inuit or Sarloos depending on the line they are from. There's not even any wolf in the genes like alot of people are led to believe based on their looks LOL. They are pretty much selectively bred to resemble a wolf like appearance but have all the temperament and train ability of a GSD. From the other owners I've talked to on my forum they don't have any aggressive or bad temperament characteristics as of yet and they are hoping to keep it that way. They don't make very good guard dogs but decent watch dogs. I'm very excited about this breed lol they are well on their way to be a great new breed I think :)

we have one in oiur village very slim, wolflike. shes very friendly but not had firm enough training as gets out of control when prople try to fuss her & jumps/claws at you. They are a lovely looking dog but like all dogs need a firm handler to give them manners, train correctly.

So oddly enough, earlier today I was reading another site that I frequent and came across a post where someone mentioned these dogs. I hadn't heard of them before, they are a fairly new breed. anyone else heard of them or had any experience with them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamaskan_Dog

front1.jpg

yes we did look into the tamaskan breed ...they are a lovley dog we met someone with one when going on hols with marley to scotland ...he was lovley ..said he could let him off lead ...

• 2 weeks later...

Now I am confused my cousin has a dog like this though he said it was called a Utonagan or something like that. Not sure of the spelling? I will have to google it. He's beautiful, though very timid. Only interacted with him once. He recieved it from a guy he was in the service with overseas or something.