Hello from Alberta!

Hi everyone. Thank you Siberian_wolf, PeiperSky7, and Sarah for your welcome notes. The first thing I did yesterday when I joined was to pin our location on the Google Map. I am quite surprised there arent more of us from Canada. I found this Husky member site quite easily on the net.

My husband surprised me with dog-ownership a couple days before Valentines day and his birthday Feb. 19th, 2009. He was working out of the province at the time and was home for a weekend visit. He sat our 15 yr old son and me down on the sofa and pulled up a breeders website and announced that he would like to get a Husky for his birthday. I was a little stunned but I could tell and he explained that hes wanted a Husky since he was a child. He showed us a picture of Ariel when she was only a couple weeks old. He had already been out to the breeders farm to check out the litter and chose her. I consented outlining the rules I would not be taking care of the dog on my own! (like I did previously with a cat to MUCH to my chagrin.) Our son Aaron would have to be fully on board to help. He was totally game and as excited as Bill, my husband. I still cant believe it myself but by the end of the weekend we decided it would be best to have TWO as they would keep each other company.

There was one puppy left available and she was the runt of the litter. An email was sent to express our interest in the last puppy and we were told that they had decided to keep her for themselves, as there wasnt much interest in her I suppose because she was the runt and her markings are quite unique. They had started to call her Munchkin. In the end they agreed to sell her to us knowing she was going to be much loved and well taken care of. I was preparing dinner and her name came to me. A nice strong name: Aurora.

In ancient Roman mythology Aurora, was the goddess of the dawn. She renews herself every morning and flies across the sky, announcing the arrival of the sun. Her parentage was flexible: for Ovid she could equally be Pallantis, signifying the daughter of Pallas,[1] or the daughter of Hyperion.[2] She has two siblings, a brother (Sol, the sun) and a sister (Luna, the moon), and four children (the Anemoi, or Winds.) Our Husky was also named after the Aurora Borealis, or Northern Lights.

Doreen Virtue (an American author who writes about Angels, Fairies and Spirits) says Archangel Ariel is the angel of the fairies and to call on her if one desires to connect with the fairies as well. connect with the sacred feminine energies of Ariel, the nature archangel who enables us to connect with fairies and other elementals, as well as to manifest our earthly needs.

But really most people, or mothers of young girls, would recognize their names as Disney Princesses. Princess Ariel was the Little Mermaid and Aurora was Sleeping Beauty.

We have many nicknames for them. We call Ariel the Destroyer because she loves to chew. She has ruined her nice bed mattress in her crate and many other things. But we do know she is not as bad as some other owners have described. She doesnt go after furniture or the tv remote and things like that. We keep them well equipped with chew toys and so far the Extreme Kong has been her match. We call Aurora the Scavenger as she jumps up to the counter on her front paws in search of any food that might be in her reach. Ariel is happy to let Aurora do the dirty work but will gladly reap the rewards when a score is made.

They were born January 2, 2009, in the dead of winter. We picked them up at 7 weeks old. Last winter we had temps ranging from -12 degrees C and -23 C. We certainly have the winter weather for this breed. Its a good thing we have an air-conditioned house for the summer though, as they dont tolerate the + 25 to +30 degrees very well!

We exercise the girls 3 times a day. Bill takes them out for a 45 minute to an hour walk in the morning. I take them for a walk/run in the afternoon and in the evening our son takes them out on his mountain bike and lets them run and pull him along with harnesses.

We aspire to join a mushing club and get these puppies really working and pulling. I guess that is how I stumbled upon this site looking for a Husky club in our area.

Im having trouble posting pictures right now. The file size is too large. I will have to edit and save to a new folder but I dont like the tedious work involved. Also, can someone please advise how I post video? Or perhaps that is something that requires a membership upgrade?

Thank you for the warm welcome!

- Jennifer, Ariel and Aurora (and Bill and Aaron)

Welcome. Ah, beautiful Alberta. Been a long time since I was there. Used to back pack around Banff. Yes, would love to see pics of your two. Our Zoya came from a breeder in Wisconsin, and her lines came out of Canada. It's nice to have you join the forum and looking forward to your input.

Hi, Jennifer, welcome to our pack! :wave:

What a lovely story, how you chose their names, can't wait to see pics of them!

There is no membership upgrade needed, just upload your video to youtube then copy the link & paste it into the message box - hope that helps :D

Look forward to chatting with you around the forum & seeing loads of pics of your furbabies!!! :byebye: