new husky owner question

Nathan

Hey,

I have a question for the more experienced husky owners out there...

I adopted a husky around 2.5 months ago and His coat was pretty beat up (because he was an outside dog) when I first got him. I bathed him and started brushing him daily. I expected the first couple of weeks to be crazy shedding because of the regrowth of the missing hair and I knew the brush was going to pretty much look like unraveled mittens caught up in the wires... but it has been well over 8 weeks and his coat is still falling out and getting all over. I don't mind cleaning it up, but I researched a little bit on huskies shedding and blowing their coats and I think he already blew his coat prior to me adopting him.

Is it because I live in NW Ohio and the warm temperature is making him lose his fur? I am just concerned a little.

-nathan

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he could possibly b blowing his coat (do u have any pics?) my boy is nearly 11 months old n started blowing his coat about a month ago n hes still loosin fur pics ov him and his coat wud help - has he bin 2 the vet 2 b checked out?

update - i just read ur other post at around 2 yrs old he cud possibly b blowing him coat - specially if its warm where u r

Maybe you should go to the vets, and ask there opinion, im sure its nothing to worry about and probably does have a lot to do with the heat where you are but to be on the safe side and for you own piece of mind maybe yo should seek advice from a vet.

Because he was a bit beat up when you got him does that mean he has a bit of a crappy life befor hand? if so it could be stress, dogs are know to suffer with it and lose hair thru it.

Like i said seek advice but in the mean time just give him loads of love which im sure you are, he prob needs time to settle it has only been 8 weeks and if he has had 2 years of hell he will need more than 8 weeks to feel loved and comfortable again...

Hey ya,

Im not really sure but my guess is that your Sibe is still blowing his coat and if this is the case its norm so dont worrie!!! :rolleyes: Our Grey has been blowing his coat for a while now and we get balls of fur all over the house!!

I cant find the Link so you might want to PM sarah and she will be able to telll you about a special Fur brush that pulls up all the loose hair from the under coat and gets alot more fur off then a norm brush so it might be somthing you want to look into.... :D

Untill then just keeping brushing and what ever you do never shave your Husky!!!

Hope I have been some help :D

Myshka has only blown her coat twice big time in 3 1/2 yrs, in between was a few weeks of light moulting, but the biggies lasted about 10 weeks in all! There's a lot of fur to come off!! :eek:

We've just rehomed Diesel who looks like he's just started a mammoth shed! It's everywhere, bless him! I expect a good few weeks of this, too - picking fur off clothes, sweeping 10 times a day .... good job I've got nothing better to do!! :P

If you're really concerned, have a chat with the vet or get him a health check & make sure there are no skin problems causing it - at least it will put your mind at rest, but I'm sure he'll be fine :151:

hi Nathan,welcome to the pack - can't really add more than what's put lol i use the furninator on my boys and it works wonders with their coat. You won't see a change over night, don't get me wrong, but keep persevering.

I would suggest taking a picture of him every week and then you can look back and see the difference in him - if you do this though, don't forget to upload them so we can have a nosey lol

Hello.

Yes all the above are same with our sibe. We had him shedding when we first adopted Zeus - can be normal blow and also through stress. Only other thing i've picked up from your initial question is how often do you bathe your dog and do you use shampoo? Some dogs react badly to dog shampoo so make sure it's not irritating his skin. Huskies are closet cats and tend to give themselves a good clean with their tongues so not always neccesarry to clean them often!!

Good luck

x

He could of been loosing hair due to stress or fleas before, now he may shedding properly. Balto has been shedding since April:o The text book told me 1 month lol Alaska's a good girl and has only shed for 1 month and 1 week..pheewww.

There's a text book?? You mean they aren't supposed to shed 24/7?? That's it, I'm finding Micha's receipt and taking him back to the store :mad: :P

There's a text book?? You mean they aren't supposed to shed 24/7?? That's it, I'm finding Micha's receipt and taking him back to the store :mad: :P

Yes, i bought several...4 weeks they told me:eek: NO WAY!!! Micha sheds all year round....gosh i cant wait for winter so the bastards finally give it a rest lol...i breath, eat, sleep dog hair......:rolleyes:

ROFL....

Nathan, you may want to take into consideration the food that you're feeding (or what has been fed prior to your rescue) The quality of the coat is, in MHO, directly related to the quality of the food being provided. If in fact you're feeding a quality kibble, (or raw, or barf), it's quite possible that your pets coat is still in need of improvement as the quality food (and therefore the proper nutrition) takes time to make its way through the body and to the coat.

At least this is what I found as I learned more about my boys nutrition and how it relates to his coat, skin, eyes, and more.....

Just something to consider.

(Can anyone translate this into english? I seem to be having a difficult time putting my thoughts into understandable words today....)

Yes, i bought several...4 weeks they told me:eek: NO WAY!!! Micha sheds all year round....gosh i cant wait for winter so the bastards finally give it a rest lol...i breath, eat, sleep dog hair......:rolleyes:

ROFLMAO!!!!!! you and smeagle really make me laugh!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl: I cant wait till Grey stops blowing his coat :rolleyes: Thank God we have white carpet the fur dont show up as much LOL he he ha ha ;):P

Wow everyone is sooo friendly here. I didn't expect so many replies. I'll upload some pics once I find my cameria's USB plug... I always misplace it.

I think i'm going to buy the furminator since you guys recommend it so much. If heavy shedding still occurs i'll just assume it's Ohio's climate that causes the constant shedding.

:)

Wow everyone is sooo friendly here. I didn't expect so many replies. I'll upload some pics once I find my cameria's USB plug... I always misplace it.

I think i'm going to buy the furminator since you guys recommend it so much. If heavy shedding still occurs i'll just assume it's Ohio's climate that causes the constant shedding.

Aww thats ok!! Us Husky owners always help each other out with tips & advice so never feel like you are asking a question to silly. :)

Im also doing potty training at the mo.

You're a bit old to be using a potty now aren't you??????? lmao

Oh we're very friendly here :) Even more so if you upload pics lol lol:wave: