Firework Season

It's never too early to start planning for the 5th November!!

Whilst the law states that fireworks can only be retailed during the two weeks prior to 5th November, but online suppliers sell all year round, making all of the of the autumn and winter months a potential nightmare for dogs with noise phobias. But fear not! With lots of patience, foresight and planning, you should be able modify your dogs anxiety during the bangs and whizzes.

* Desensitise him by playing a fireworks cd on the lowest volume, whilst you carry on with your day to day routine. Initially, play the cd so quietly that you cant hear it he will still be able to hear it! After a week or so, turn up the volume a touch. And the week after turn it up a touch more and so on. Be sure not to fuss your dog whilst the cd is playing, this will reinforce any anxiety he feels towards the sounds and potentially make his problem worse. If you build up gradually and play the cd many times each day, you should see that he barely notices even the loudest of noises. As the cd volume increases, you can introduce a game so that he forms a positive association with happy games and loud noises. The earlier you start with this method, the more success youll have, so dont leave it until the middle of October!

* Consider his environment. Provide your dog with a bolt-hole to run to if he feels threatened by the noises. Most dogs with noise phobias will appreciate somewhere to feel safe whilst ww3 kicks off outside Does Rover use a crate? If he does you should cover it with a heavy/thick blanket which will give him that extra feeling of security and help to block out flashes and noises. If he doesnt use a crate and you dont want to introduce one, find an area in the family room where he prefers to retreat to if he is unsure of something. This may be in a corner of the room or underneath a table for eg. Now try and find a way to make that area enclosed and covered, use blankets and chairs to create a little den. Or alternatively find a sturdy cardboard box just big enough for him to curl up in and cut out one side as a door (white goods boxes work well for large breeds). Encourage your dog to use this area as his safe space and reward him with high value toys or bones when he is in there.

* Dont fuss him or try to cuddle him or offer words of sympathy or reassurance because this will only reinforce any anxiety he is feeling and potentially make his problem worse. He is looking to you to be a leader and you should demonstrate that there is nothing to be feared by remaining calm and going about your usual business. This flies in the face of everything we want to do as caring humans, but our dogs are not human and we need to be careful not to send them conflicting signals. Playing happy games is ok, but dont force him if he is struggling to deal with the noise.

* Mask the fireworks as best as possible by turning the radio or tv to the highest volume level you (or your neighbours) can tolerate. Practice this many times before the firework season so that your dog doesnt form a negative association with a loud tv and impending fireworks. If possible have a loud radio right next to your dogs crate.

* Exercise before dusk and more than usual so that Rover is tired and has toileted.

* Consider introducing herbal remedies (such as Rescue Remedy and Valerian) several weeks before firework season so that their properties can take effect.

* Try an Anxiety Wrap - Home Page (I cant recommend these enough, I had huge success with mine!). Or try a close fitting dog T-shirt instead if the Anxiety Wrap is too pricey. The idea is that this wrap offers a secure feeling and helps your dog to relax, think of it along the lines of swaddling a baby.

Please try every other alternative before accepting sedatives from the vets. I was horrified when my vet explained that the dog can still hear the fireworks and is still stressed but because he is sedated he simply cant move and express his fear

i'm so lucky,none of mine have ever been bothered by fireworks. Rudy our Ridgeback foster (he comes back now and then, lol) doesn't like them but we adhere to the strictly no fuss and no bother routine and eventually he settles and gets the idea. Leala is bombproof and will go outside with them!!!

Great post and excellent advice.

The last bit about the sedatives is very important, I only learnt that recently. I have a mal here that was taken off the streets after a few weeks straying and was very, very stressed, the lady that rescued him gave him 3 ACPs, but poor sod, he was so terrified, because obviously he now couldn't really move much, but was still absolutely petrified. Did more harm than good I think.

Val, November 5th in the UK is a celebration of the foiling of a plot to blow up parliament by Guy Fawkes and his friends. Usually there are bonfires with effigies of Guy Fawkes on them, and lots of fireworks. We obviously don't have it here in Ireland, but fireworks usually go off around halloween instead.

Val, November 5th in the UK is a celebration of the foiling of a plot to blow up parliament by Guy Fawkes and his friends. Usually there are bonfires with effigies of Guy Fawkes on them, and lots of fireworks. We obviously don't have it here in Ireland, but fireworks usually go off around halloween instead.

Thank you for the insight, that is very interesting. Learned my new fact for the day. :D

Thank you for the insight, that is very interesting. Learned my new fact for the day. :D

LOL as a kid I loved that time of year, you would go out trick or treating on 31st October and get sweets and money, then make a Guy from old clothes, stuffed with newspaper etc, and wheel that around, asking for "A penny for the Guy". We were rich just for a little while:p

Unfortunately though, there are incidents every year with dogs or cats being deliberately injured or killed by fireworks, and when we lived in London the fireworks would start a month before November 5th and go on at least a month afterwards. Murphy is petrified of them, but now that she's so old, she's totally deaf, so they don't bother her any more.;)

Great post ,Kira isnt bothered with fireworks but Tia is so scared ,they last for about 2 weeks here and its a shame for Tia as she wont even go out in the garden and follows you everywhere at night she even tries to get into the bed, so this year I wont be hanging around while they are about:)

great post saz thnx soooooooo much for this bings is petrified ov fireworks i just get him bravin goin out in the dark n then its bonfire night again - then he wont go out even when its only just gettin dark (u no dark but light enuf that the street lights ent on) poor thing sits there shakin like a leaf its soooo hard not 2 go and comfort him he h8s all loud noises sum1 slammin a garage door down he even gets petrified is sum1 pops their bubble gum - he will then refuse 2 walk anyfurther n just drag me home

tried 2 add 2 rep but cnt

• 1 month later...

I must of missed this one, good info there and a big rep. We've recently had a lot of fireworks with Eid, and Noushka couldn't care less, Barry hates them, Smithy however jumps up at the back door and wants to go out, sit on the table and watch them :P, bloomin' fireworks :D ...

Thanks for the info Sarah. Don't know how Sabre is going to be with fireworks but when we took him to a brass band march contest he absolutely hated the bass drum as it got near to him so it's not really looking good for fireworks. Will let my in-laws know about the sedatives as they give them to their dog!

• 4 weeks later...

Great information sarah, i struggled with my older dog for years with fireworks and thunder and lightning, unfortantly i even had some medication from the vets the one year and never used them again as you stated he could still hear them etc but just could not move and that was not nice to see. Over the years i have learned to carry on with what i am doing around the house and not cuddle him or show affection as i was just feeding his anxiety. I have noticed since i started getting huskies he has calmed down a lot really he has his moments and this year will be the tester really as this year i have gained 2 more huskies, im lucky as to yet they have not been affected by the fireworks so im hoping it stays that way and that the pups dont get affected by them. I have thought of trying those cd's but because my older dog is 10 this year i was not sure it could work. I have helped him through the last 10years with his fear and learnt along the way and have made mistakes eg cuddling him etc but did get him to a more calmer level in the end by ignoring the behaviour and just keeping a close eye on him. i always provide somewhere for him to go if need be, he likes it under the stairs where it is dark and i just carry on doing what ever i was doing but keep an eye on him at all times just incase as over the years he has come close to having tv's etc fall on him just because he was trying to escape the noise.. It such terrible thing to see your dog with so much fear, but fingers crossed the last few years have been easier so im hoping this year will be the same..

• 1 month later...