saskia a proper introduction

well by now you all know we have 2 huskies, micha and saskia, but i am so pleased with how saskia has come along, i thought i would post a history, and a present.

my daughter was looking through the internet adds for another dog.

we knew we wanted another dog who could keep up with micha, so it looked like it would be another husky.

my daughter showed me loads of dogs she liked, but i didnt really like any of them, then just to see what there was i typed in husky.

and the first result gob smacked me.

a white husky in need of a home, because the owners could not give her the time she deserved.

she looked so much like micha, so i showed it to my wife who phoned up the owners,a nd we went to meet them.

the journey as 60 miles, micha didnt care about the journey, she is so well behaved in the car she just lays there.

when we got there saskia was up at the fence (2 foot high) and looked so happy.

we talked to the owners, and it turns out they had 6 children (1 of them a baby)

her husband was disabled, only 1 hand and the other had has arthritis.

she wasnt walked ever, and the only excercise she had was when she was taken to the park and let off.

we walked micha and saskia together and they got along well.

micha was a bit nervous, but then saskia is full grown, and micha still has some growing to do.

in the end micha started playing with saskia.

they told us they wanted saskia to go to a good home, and had turned down so many offers, because they felt people wanted her as a status symbol.

next they showed us some tricks saskia could do, by using jaffa cakes!!!!!!!

we took on saskia, and came home. we got a bit lost, and didnt get home till 1:30 am.

saskia was bursting with energy, so we decided to take her down the park.

when we let the girls off downt he park they ran around like mad and played well together.

however we did notice saskia was a bit stiff on the back end.

we took her to the vets to be checked over.

the vet said, she is lacking muscle tone and has quite a bit of fat.

we got her jabs done, she has to have a full course because she has missed some of her boosters.

her hips are good, she is just so used to being up on a fence, that her muscles in her legs have developed differently that they would if she was running.

so we started saskia on healthy food, and let her run down the park, and took her for walks in the woods.

the bonus point about saskia, is that she has recall.

regular excercise and healthy food, slimmed saskia down.

we took her back to the vets to be checked, she hadnt lost weigh, infact she had gained it,she had burnt off her fat, and gained muscle. and her stiff back end had eased off.

now micha has 2 speeds of running, her normal speed, which she can sustain for ages, and an overdrive speed, when she seems to be flying.

saskia could not keep up with micha at any running speed, when we first got her, now she can beat micha at first running speed, then micha goes into turbo mode and leaves her for dust.

there have been a few fights for dominance, and one of them micha ended up with a cut under her chin.

they are settling in together, figuring each other out.

i will try to watch them as much as possible when they play, but so far so good.

the only issue saskia has, is that she tried to dominate other dogs. as soon as she shows any signs of dominance, i put her in her place. she usually tries again, and i put her i n her place again. after all i am alpha male. after that she is fine to go and play with any dog.

micha is 100% submissive when it comes to other dogs. infact people laugh at her, because she comes running over, slows down 5 meters out, walks in then throws herself onto the floor on her back, then the other dogs let her play.

2.JPG

David, that is a great story - Saskia must feel like a new husky! It must have been hard for the previous owners to decide that giving her up was best for her, but they must be so happy where she has gone to.

All your hard work has paid off - welcome to the pack, Saskia, x