Our Beloved Akuma

Pasodaisy

I posted a picture of Akuma in my first post to say hi to the forum.

I just wanted to say a bit about him in here.

We had never had a dog before and after much research picked the husky breed. We decided to adopt an older dog as we felt we needed the experience before thinking about a puppy! We were vetted and approved by Husky Welfare and went to meet Akuma.

When we first saw him he seemed so big, he came up to me, smelt my hand then jumped up to my shoulders and licked my face. I didn't really know what to make of this. After spending some time with him we took him home that night and never looked back. He was 5 years old and had lived a very lazy lifestyle. He was overweight and his FD had him on a strict diet, he also had a very sensitive stomach so wasnt' really able to enjoy the occasional "human food" treat.

From day one the old boy weaved his way into our family and we quickly couldn't remember our lives without him. He made us laugh, we couldn't take him anywhere without people stopping to pet him, he loved us to bits and all he asked for was a bit of company (and lots of food!).

Akuma was diagnosed with degenerative myleopathy (sp) when he was 9, his back legs were growing week. We tried steriods and anti inflammatories but they upset his system so much his weight plummeted and he was so poorly he could barely exercise which made his DM worse. With our vets support we took the decision to take him for hydrotherapy/physio every week/then every fortnight and he continued that until he passed. He loved his physiotherapist and was the most chilled out dog the vets practice had ever seen, when he was there for tests he stayed iwth the nurses rather than be locked away in a crate. They all cried when he had to be PTS.

Akuma's liver packed up pretty suddenly, he spent his last few days at the vets having 24 hour care, as he'd had similar stomach issues before we all thought it was that and he'd pull through, once we could see he wasn't responding we made the decision to have him put to sleep. My hubby was away and was devastated not to be able to be with him and say goodbye but he was in such a poorly state it wasn't fair to keep him going (hubby would have hated himself for making him wait). Akuma died in my arms. We had him cremated and we scattered his ashes in the woods he so loved to amble around (i mean amble as he never was really keen on exercise).

So many happy memories, we can laugh through our tears now:

Akuma thinking it was christmas when the postman posted a package containing chocolate bars through the door whilst i was out (i didn't not know they were coming), he ate them and but left the note which said at the bottom "no chocolate for Akuma!"

Akuma looking at hubby incredulously when not only did he attach him to the bike lead but he then had the audacity to take him out in the rain, the only bright side that day was he bumped into his favourite little lady husky on the walk. I swear that dog could sulk!

Every single year at Chrismas when i had to move his basket to the other side of the room he would make a POINT of lying in it when he rarely bothered, he would then look at me as if to say "i am not amused" then he realised he could beg more efficiently cos he was nearer to where we sat :)

There are many many more, this wonderful dog truly changed our lives and we will treasure those times forever.

RIP Akuma, we will always be happy you came into our lives.