Sorry bit of a nasty subject...

mbb23

Sorry guys but Im going to ask a bit of nasty Question...

Has or does your sibe eat there poo?? :confused:

Grey is 10 months now and over the past couple of weeks we have caught him going to eat his poo....YUK!! I stop him straight away but on the odd time have got there a bit late to stop him.

Could it be a bad stage he is going through?

Is there anything I could do to stop him?

(oh forgot to say he is well fed and not hungry LOL :D:D)

Never had that happen... but Bo tends to think many things are beneath him. (like getting dirty, being wet, getting brushed, sharing the couch, and most other dogs)

We had another dog who did that, and the vet suggested that giving a vitamin supplement might help. It seemed to work for that particular dog anyway. Something to consider.

the vet suggested that giving a vitamin supplement might help. It seemed to work for that particular dog anyway. Something to consider.

This is a good point. It may also explain part of the reason the dog does this. Back when Sheba used to do it, I had other people living with me. They were not too good at listenening to me when I said not to give her anything to eat, whatever it was. I also had neighbors who would give her treats all the time. She would miss many of her regular meals back then. Since I've had her by myself for the last year, she very rarely misses a meal and she doesn't bother eating the nasty. Her overall health improved once I was removed from people who would give her stuff all the time. The nutritional health of a dog may play a part in why they do this. Just my thoughts on the matter.

hi, isha used to eat other dogs poo when she was young and the vet told me its just something they do, keira on the other hand keeps raiding my bin for dirty nappies and eating the poo out of them, it makes me feel sick when im chasing her round the garden to get it back (like i really want it) yuk

It can be nasty. We had a Cairn Terrier that did that. The breeder told us to sprinkle some meat tenderizer on the food, that it was a lack of some enzyme. So we did, and the Cairn gave up the poop eating. Of course, this is anecdotal evidence, and is isolated to just our situation. There is more than one potential cause for this. I saw some supplement in the pet store last week to put on their food, but I think it just makes their poo taste bad (as if it didn't already).

Thanks guys for all your replies! I think its just one of those things that Dogs do....:rolleyes: will try a few things tho but if it dont work then I will just have to be careful when Grey jumps up for a kiss when he has just come in from outside. Grey also has a way of telling me that reece needs a bum change cause he follows him around everywhere sniffing his Nappy> if given half the chance would raid it out of the bin to play with it and pull apart and eat the poo :confused:

Grey also loves Horse Poo aswel LOL :D

To my knowledge my dogs have never eaten their poo. but when we lived at my in laws house her moms dogs would eat poo. sometimes cause the dominant one wouldn't let the other eat food. and mostly cause that was a very stressful environment. and they would always get treats... treats, treats, treats!! and no excersize but when your dog eats its just like us.. our body takes the nutrience it needs and disposes of the rest. so their poo has nutrience in it. its just not in a desirable for to us. And who knows it could not be a desirable form to them either. but they smell what is in it. and that might be why they tell you to feed them something else or add a spice to their food cause it will counter act with what they are already eating. That is why i never feed my dogs people food aswell. they could smell it in their poo cause their body doesnt need anything from it.. and it could start a very nasty habbit.

Hi there Mary, boy do i know what u talking about. When Skylah first came home, and as i've mentioned i have 5 cats, we thought she was so cute digging around like a mad thing. Next thing she's chomping down on cats poo that she dug up. Well i thought i was gona have a hernia, more cos i thought she would get sick. Next day, on the internet i went, and lo and behold, guess wot, they love cats poop especially. When i told my vet that we were thinking of building them a dig patch, he told me that 2 encourage them using that instead of our lawn, was 2 bury cats poop in their sand pit.:o According to my vet, it is not harmful 2 them at all. U must know, 4 about the 1st month, every time we saw them eating poop, we would run out like lunatics trying 2 stop them, then i would brush their teeth.:) I must say we've given up on that. We've actually caught them standing by the cats waiting 4 them 2 finish their business. We've also learnt the hard way, not 2 let them kiss us hello 1st thing in the morning.:o

Hi there Mary, boy do i know what u talking about. When Skylah first came home, and as i've mentioned i have 5 cats, we thought she was so cute digging around like a mad thing. Next thing she's chomping down on cats poo that she dug up. Well i thought i was gona have a hernia, more cos i thought she would get sick. Next day, on the internet i went, and lo and behold, guess wot, they love cats poop especially. When i told my vet that we were thinking of building them a dig patch, he told me that 2 encourage them using that instead of our lawn, was 2 bury cats poop in their sand pit.:o According to my vet, it is not harmful 2 them at all. U must know, 4 about the 1st month, every time we saw them eating poop, we would run out like lunatics trying 2 stop them, then i would brush their teeth.:) I must say we've given up on that. We've actually caught them standing by the cats waiting 4 them 2 finish their business. We've also learnt the hard way, not 2 let them kiss us hello 1st thing in the morning.:o

LOL... :biggerGrin: Waiting for the cats to finish their business.

Sorry guys but Im going to ask a bit of nasty Question...

Has or does your sibe eat there poo?? :confused:

Grey is 10 months now and over the past couple of weeks we have caught him going to eat his poo....YUK!! I stop him straight away but on the odd time have got there a bit late to stop him.

Could it be a bad stage he is going through?

Is there anything I could do to stop him?

(oh forgot to say he is well fed and not hungry LOL :D:D)

I knew as soon as I read the title what you were going to ask... Keisha use to eat hers all the time when she was a puppy. She was well fed and even had some powder from the vet to go over her food to make sure she was getting enough of the things she needed. She would leap at it before I could even pick it up. She stopped this when she was just over a year old almost over night. Keisha use to even try to eat my Lab's as she was doing it! (I know sooo icky!) Hopefully it is a phase for Grey as it seemed to have been for Keisha!