Rehoming a sibe

Heya i want to rehome a sibe as a friend for shura i think she could benifit from the company and the wisdom of a slightly older dog. I'm not sure if it should be a male or female.Anyone who knows of a sibe in need of a home am willing to consider the possiblity but they have to be good with children as a must xxx :D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd still be very careful with letting any husky off the lead...i've heard so many pplsay theirs have been fine off the lead but is it really worth the risk, one day their natural instinct to run will over ride their obedience and you just have to hope and prey that run doesnt end up with them meeting the front of a car!

still, why would you take that risk. i know someone who's boy was excellent off lead i mean almost labrador like, then one day (after about 7 years of this excellence) he decided to go for a run...he ended up being hit by a car a few miles down the road...

I'd still be very careful with letting any husky off the lead...i've heard so many pplsay theirs have been fine off the lead but is it really worth the risk, one day their natural instinct to run will over ride their obedience and you just have to hope and prey that run doesnt end up with them meeting the front of a car!

Actually the Chukchis used to let all their sibes off and let them go and hunt >> they would all return, they have a natural instinct to run and be challenged >> which is what i believe they seek the most. The challenge of running for miles and miles and needing that all important stamia, i dont think im risking anything at all >> Alaska gets challenged when she's off-lead, she can sprint around like a nutter in this HUGE park/feilds/woods and she has no desire to run out into the road >> it's the lats place youd find her!!

She gets soo much exercise and because i dont keep her leashed all the time when i do let her off she doen't sprint away from me for dear freedom:p

still, why would you take that risk. i know someone who's boy was excellent off lead i mean almost labrador like, then one day (after about 7 years of this excellence) he decided to go for a run...he ended up being hit by a car a few miles down the road...

"labrador like" >>>> Alaska's better than any lab!!! In fact in her whole life going to my local park she's met about 10 labs >> all naughtyer than the other >> they were awful:rolleyes: I dont know why people keep refering to them, if you ask someone you want a dog and you ask them their top 5 breeds for first time dog owners gauranteed a lab would be in there >> ever read Marley and Me ?? I think thousands of lab owners would disagree of this ideaolodgy that their some sort of 'golden dogs'

You see here's the problem, sibes have such a bad rep >>> people think their stunning but all those 'proffessionals' out there say things like:

"they will never be tame"

"they are always so domminant, so you can forget being the pack leader if you get one of those"

"awful dogs, just want to escape from you all the time"

"terrible off lead, wouldnt trust one as far as i could throw them!"

A very respectable woman who recues and trains dogs for nothing >> she has a pack of 8 and works for the rspca >> she said although she finds them magical she can respect anyone who wouldn't touch them with a barge poll >> she said she likes a challenge but she finds them (and i quote) "ignorant and arrogant":eek:

I know which one i'd prefer, the sibe all the time, poor first time owners are told NEVER let your sibe off the lead, unaware that it is also in their heritage to go off and come back, it's very simple...train them from the get go..like i did with Alaski, sibes that are kept on the lead all the time are not going to be good when you do let them off. I think people confuse it >> it's not that their *bad* off-lead, it's that their stubborn, challenge seeking and need to respect you before they listen >>me and Alaska go on hikes up hills in the woods, she gets so challenged, i bring ham and we do training, she jumps on tree's now to get rewarded lol:rolleyes: >>> there's no way she's bad off-lead and there's no way i would put her on a lead 24'7 her whole life because a book has forwarned me >>> and running out into the road can happen to any breed, i can say off the top of my head 5 people who this has happened to and their breeds >> none of which are sibes:

An Airedale >>she broke her hip

A staffy mix >> he was just fine

A Lab >> had to have stitches

My grans Dashund >> the car stopped luckily

and a Rotti who was very closely missed by a car and a very angry-horn blowing driver

It's all in the training, but of course i care about her safety >> the park we go to 2 secs from my road which is a dead end close of houses >>and by the time we are there its all trees and feilds >> and if she did run off- it would be near the forest were it's interesting >> full of dogs and small animals, she wouldn't run a mile back to a plain road with no cars and little people!

Generally I always tell people who own sibes (and hounds like beagles) not to trust them off leash, because the amount of people who would put the effort into learning (and who would care enough to do so) HOW to let them off leash and get reliable recall is very small.

For this reason I always advise the average owner against it, because it's the people who get complacent about letting their sibe off leash who run into trouble. It's the people who think they can overpower the dog's drive and think they've trained it out of them who will have the sibe that one day decides to run away and not come back until it's good and ready.

But when discussions like this come up I will never say it's impossible, because I don't believe it is :) I have seen sibes with bomb proof recall. I understand the basics when it comes to training it, it's the same sort of stuff I do with my scent hound now. As it stands Micha has great recall but not what I would describe as perfect or bombproof. If I had the time to train both of them to the standard I want with my beagle, I would have him working a lot better, but I'm restricted by time and Mishy's dog aggression, which takes up a lot of our training time.

ETA: Ice a large part of it is also their prey drive, how many people here could put their hands up and say yep, I could call my sibe back when it was mid-chase after a rabbit? You can't train a sibe to have reliable recall with conventional, traditional training methods. I think they are quite trainable BUT they are very different to labs, labs are a gun dog, bred to be biddable and to work for people without question, Sibes are bred to be stubborn, high drive dogs that are independent thinkers.

I love spitz breeds because they are so different to gun dogs, I wouldn't compare the two IMO. There is a reason why you see so many gundogs and herding breeds in dog sports compared to very very few spitz breeds.

I know which one i'd prefer, the sibe all the time, poor first time owners are told NEVER let your sibe off the lead, unaware that it is also in their heritage to go off and come back, it's very simple...train them from the get go..like i did with Alaski, sibes that are kept on the lead all the time are not going to be good when you do let them off.

Most Sibes aren't naturally good off leash though :) It's in their nature to run and you can't deny it.

And sure they might come back - but when it suits them.

Like I've said in other threads, I train for the ultimate distraction, like the old training question 'if a rabbit run past when your dog was in a stay, what would it do?'

I train for 'the rabbit', if I know I don't have unconditional focus then I don't do off leash work. If there is a chance my dog will go after the figurative rabbit, then I keep proofing and working until I know the rabbit doesn't hold as much interest as what I offer and I can control that drive - and the dog knows that obeying me will equate drive satisfaction.

ETA: And just in case it sounds like I am saying otherwise, I totally 100% believe that sibes if trained the right way can have great recall. Just like I believe any dog has the potential to have great recall. I don't look at training as breed specific but individual dog specific as you will get variance even between 10 dogs of the same breed.

Actually the Chukchis used to let all their sibes off and let them go and hunt >> they would all return

You see here's the problem, sibes have such a bad rep >>> people think their stunning but all those 'proffessionals' out there say things like:

"they are always so domminant, so you can forget being the pack leader if you get one of those"

poor first time owners are told NEVER let your sibe off the lead, unaware that it is also in their heritage to go off and come back, it's very simple...train them from the get go..like i did with Alaski, sibes that are kept on the lead all the time are not going to be good when you do let them off.

To be honest, I would never trust any dog of any breed/cross to be 100% reliable off lead. Why? Because they are dogs not humans and although we can learn a whole lot about what we think is going on in their heads, there is no way we will ever know it exactly. We cannot predict human behaviour and we are humans - how on earth can we accurately predict dog behaviour?

The reason every single Siberian Husky organisation IN THE WORLD recommends that sibes are kept on-lead except in enclosed areas is not based on theory, or arrogance or ignorance or anything other than bitter experience over many many years from many thousands of owners. Yes, you may find 1 out of 100 dogs may be very reliable off-lead 99% of the time, but it is that 1% which can, will and has in the past, get a dog killed. Also, we all know that, as puppies, Sibes will lull you into a false sense of security by displaying wonderful recall only to change completely when adolescence hits. We have lost count of the number of people who have lost dogs on the road, shot by farmers or just plain disappeared who all say the same thing, "He'd always come back when we called him before!" - It only takes one incident to kill your dog - not a risk we would be prepared to take.

Yes the Chukchi let them loose during the summer, but the dogs weren't daft, they stayed round the village where food was plentiful and there were no roads for them to cross and no flocks of sheep for them to savage. Also, they would be very likely to stay together in a pack and only roam in their own territory. Very few of us live in similar conditions nowadays (not even the remaining Chukchi). If I let our 11 loose around the town during the summer I hate to imagine the chaos and the killing spree.

Yes training is important and can increase the likelihood of your dog coming back when called from 50% to 80%, but that is not enough for me and I would never knowingly put my dogs lives at risk by letting them off lead in an unenclosed area. Several of our dogs have excellent recall and they have been used in TV, advertising and video work because of their excellent behaviour. Even with these extremely well-trained and obedient dogs recall will never be 100% and we would never put them in a position where we had to test their recall in a potentially dangerous situation. One bitch we bred some 13 years ago was the most highly trained and obedient sibe we have ever come across. Her owner was into competitive obedience and agility and the dog excelled at both. She was rarely on lead and incredibly bonded to her owner. Then one day, despite her owner calling her to come back, she saw something she wanted, escaped from the garden, ran into the road and was killed instantly by a car............................ http://www.dreamcatcher.org.uk/quilla.htm

Incidentally, SHWA(UK) would not knowingly rehome a dog to someone who intended to let it off lead. I think the same would apply to the other main Sibe rescue groups (SHCGB and SSHC) as well.

Mick

"labrador like" >>>> Alaska's better than any lab!!! In fact in her whole life going to my local park she's met about 10 labs >> all naughtyer than the other >> they were awful:rolleyes: I dont know why people keep refering to them, if you ask someone you want a dog and you ask them their top 5 breeds for first time dog owners gauranteed a lab would be in there >> ever read Marley and Me ?? I think thousands of lab owners would disagree of this ideaolodgy that their some sort of 'golden dogs'

I know which one i'd prefer, the sibe all the time, poor first time owners are told NEVER let your sibe off the lead, unaware that it is also in their heritage to go off and come back, it's very simple...train them from the get go..like i did with Alaski, sibes that are kept on the lead all the time are not going to be good when you do let them off. I think people confuse it >> it's not that their *bad* off-lead, it's that their stubborn, challenge seeking and need to respect you before they listen >>me and Alaska go on hikes up hills in the woods, she gets so challenged, i bring ham and we do training, she jumps on tree's now to get rewarded lol:rolleyes: >>> there's no way she's bad off-lead and there's no way i would put her on a lead 24'7 her whole life because a book has forwarned me >>> and running out into the road can happen to any breed, i can say off the top of my head 5 people who this has happened to and their breeds >> none of which are sibes:

An Airedale >>she broke her hip

A staffy mix >> he was just fine

A Lab >> had to have stitches

My grans Dashund >> the car stopped luckily

and a Rotti who was very closely missed by a car and a very angry-horn blowing driver

At the end of the day its your choice, but like i said this dog was reliable, ok fine, not labrador like...what dog is 100% reliable according to you?!, for 7 years, so not just as a puppy as an adult as well...he was allowed to run, he ran and he came back, there was just one time he ran and ran and ran and then didn't come back.

Its a personal decision and personally i wouldn't take the chance.

Back to the subject

please everyone, can get back onto subject, we seem to wondering into an off lead debate.

Crissy - have you looked in the section we have for sibes looking for homes? Maybe an idea to check out who's in there, you may find one which is still available and you may make the perfect home :)

If you contact the SHWA (Siberian Husky Welfare Association) as Terry suggested I know they will more than likely have loads of sibes in shelter and in foster homes desperarate for a forever home and you may find a great match for your, your family and Shura :)

keep us updated

What sex should i put with shura if we rehome a male or female? I know there will most likly be scraps over domination but i know most people on here have 2 or more huskies so what would you all recomend xxx

Well it can be any sex really >> i know there are loads of horror stories about same-sex aggression but Shura is so young i doubt there would be many problems >> i think temperament is more important than sex right now, i have boy and girl, my friend has mother/daughter and the get on just fine:p

Most Sibes aren't naturally good off leash though :) It's in their nature to run and you can't deny it.

And sure they might come back - but when it suits them.

Like I've said in other threads, I train for the ultimate distraction, like the old training question 'if a rabbit run past when your dog was in a stay, what would it do?'

I train for 'the rabbit', if I know I don't have unconditional focus then I don't do off leash work. If there is a chance my dog will go after the figurative rabbit, then I keep proofing and working until I know the rabbit doesn't hold as much interest as what I offer and I can control that drive - and the dog knows that obeying me will equate drive satisfaction.

ETA: And just in case it sounds like I am saying otherwise, I totally 100% believe that sibes if trained the right way can have great recall. Just like I believe any dog has the potential to have great recall. I don't look at training as breed specific but individual dog specific as you will get variance even between 10 dogs of the same breed.

Soz amz justa quick reply and then i'll stop driverling on:rolleyes:

You wouldn't believe Alaska saw a cat and darted after it and i called her and she spun right back round >> i didn't have any treats or anything >>> i agree Balto's prey drive is so domminant in his personality!! But i cant deny i am not 100% sure Alaska would do that every time >> my local park is pretty secure and secluded from all main roads

And Mick thanks for all that info, every sibe ive met in my local park and other parks >> they have all be successfully off-lead >> no dog is bombproof and there are always setbacks

Sara >> no dog is fool-proof off-lead, ask any dog owners if their dog has ever lost concentration whilst off-lead >>> so by this logic no dog should be let off-lead, but yes it mine and others personal decisions and it has been working for us anyway lol;)

btw Shuru >>> what sex is your sibe...boy?

so maby 2 females would be good together i gess being young and the first here but there still could be a scrap. Do you think that she could get jelous of another sibe in the house xx

You know what i think she may get jelous >> but thats nothing to do with sex, Alaska was dead put-out when Balto came >> but after a while they appreciate the company, it's the new dog you must make feel at home, they will be nervous in their strange new territory, but i know many people who have 2 girls and are fine:p >> I sent you an e-mail btw...did you get it?

What is Shuru's personality like...hyper...domminant......calm???

I also wanted to add >> how old is she?

there was a little scrap between my two >> in fact because Balto was such a valid contester they had 3 weeks of tug-of-war to the death >> fighting to see who wins the battles >>> sometimes it's only 1 weeks, 3 days or 3 weeks >> it's normal, domminance must be established >> it might be good for Shuru to be domminanted by the new dog >> it may teach her some manners..espec if the other dog is an olders, good, polite example of a good sibe:

Heres what i found out

6 months they can start fighting again

8months is when domminace is established

18 months >> one last kick of being alpha

Alaska won the fued >> and she gets on just fone with Baltz >> i know she'd miss him if he went lool