Kiana walking off lead

Her recall is 100 times better than Ozzy, she brings him back and he's two and a half.

She did go 'missing' for about 10 minutes yesterday, purely because Ozzy took her off the path into the woods and I thought I'd see what they did. Ozzy and her must have got separated, we found Ozzy first and thought we'd lost Kiana completely. She then appeared soaking wet because she'd decided to have a dip in the pond. She then just stayed by our sides for the rest of the walk and had a play with a few staffies and a weimaraner.

I know it's been said that as they get older their recall becomes less and less, but I really hope that it's in her breeding to have good recall. The breeder we got her from shows her dogs and her dogs have good recall even as adults.

I should also mention that on lead she doesn't pull at all and walks by my side with a relaxed lead, maybe some time I could get a little video clip of that, but usually I have Ozzy's lead in the other hand.

well done Kiana then! Suka walks lovely to heel he only ever pulls to get out the front door lol, i would normally say he also has a fantastic recall but the last training session he had he didn't go back to andy when called, he decided to run over to the receptionist and hide lol...maybe its just andy, but i dont feel he is ready to be lead free lol!

aww she looks like she is having loads of fun! At least she wasn't a dot in the distance lol! :)

Sammie, no she's definitely not a dot in the distance, she holds back a bit having a forage and a sniff then catches us up, runs ahead has another sniff around then either walks along when we catch her up or lets us pass then catches us up again.

The only issue she has is with birds, especially ducks, but she's really only interested because Ozzy loves to chase the birds.

well done Kiana then! Suka walks lovely to heel he only ever pulls to get out the front door lol, i would normally say he also has a fantastic recall but the last training session he had he didn't go back to andy when called, he decided to run over to the receptionist and hide lol...maybe its just andy, but i dont feel he is ready to be lead free lol!

Kiana and Ozzy always have to sit before I even open the front door, and I always go through the door first, never them.

I also believe if you exude panic whilst they are off lead they sense it and play on it, you have to show lots of confidence, i suppose in yourself and the dogs. Maybe it's easier because we have two dogs, they tend to have a distraction in each other as opposed to what adventure is in the bigger world. Ozzy certainly is the one who leads Kiana astray though, she is the always the one keeping an eye on us and bites him so he chases her back to where we are.

brilliant videos, she certainly follows Ozzy alot or should I say Ozzy follows her alot as looks like she can already outrun him, lol

I would have been terrified when she followed Ozzy into the woods though! Just a word of advice, my 3 used to be brilliant off lead but no I wouldnt have them off lead as their prey drive is far too strong to trust them off a lead

great vids Steve :)

I always find running in the opposite direction and calling them works for me they think i'm running off or it's a game ?? dunno - works for me though if they don't come first time when called lol

great vids Steve :)

I always find running in the opposite direction and calling them works for me they think i'm running off or it's a game ?? dunno - works for me though if they don't come first time when called lol

I was told that by Gizmo's breeder when we first got him. She said if he was to get off the lead or slip his collar and run off then running in the opposite way is usually the best way to get them back rather than running towards them as they will think you are playing chase with them and so will carry on to run!

At first I though WTF but after a while started to realise that it does make sence, in a way

yes, I guess running after them does give them the opinion you're playing 'their' game.

Maybe I'm just lucky with her, not really had to tell her off properly for anything, so I'm definitely someone she looks up to and adores 110%, just hope it all lasts, would love her to be this good into adulthood.