What would you do? would you ring the RSPCA or not?

Hi all,

I am in a bit of a dilema, this time its not husky related but horse related. You all know how much I love all my furbabies horses included. Well my dilema is whether or not to report someone to the RSPCA for neglect of their horse, here is the reason why?

The horse is a lovely gelding when we were able to turn them out in the summer field, the owner had him clipped and let him go out without a rug on, this was ok as it was when we had the nice warm sunny days. A few days later we see them chasing him around the field to try to catch him to no avail, when asked how come as he is normally one that bugs you to come in, they told me he had sunburn all down his neck. When they went he came over to say hi and pinch a polo, from their description it was a small bit, but on closer inspection its from the top of his neck down to his shoulders all cracked and scabby. Then they went away for a week and left him out, asking a non-horsey friend to catch him and put cream on, but again he wasn't that lucky so the horse stayed out no cream to releve the pain and discomfort and no summer sheet to keep the sun off.

On Thursday last they brought him in out of the field and the sunburn is still really raw, but this time he was very lame, they asked me to tell them if he was just stiff, on closer inspection saw a huge gash down his back leg from his hock to his fetlock it was covered in cream, when I asked about it they just replied aw he did it in the field he will be fine. He clearly wasn't fine, so on Friday we were supposed to be riding out so I brought him into his stable as it was the only way I could catch my boy, he could hardly bend his back leg so I felt really bad for him. When the arrived they said that they wern't riding and that they were going away for a long weekend, when queried who was looking after him they just replied he will be ok out grazing while we are away.

Over the weekend we went to see our 2 and noticed that his leg was swollen and covered in fly's and his neck it still scabby in places and there were bits where the skin was raw! They are back now and he is still being left in the field. Surely this horse is in pain and needs to have a vet check him over but they think he will sort himself out, they are going to leave him out and just wait for him to get better??

I want to ring the RSPCA under neglect to care, but as I am the only welshy on the yard if something is mentioned they will know its me and make my life difficult! Aaarrgghhh what to do!

if you feel the horse is in pain or not fully getting the care he needs and deserves you should definatley ring the rspca not to get the owners into trouble but to get them the help and education they clearly need to care for him properly just think how you would feel if the worse happens to the horse and you know you could have done something to maybe stop it from happening. you can ring the rspca anonmously so no one would know it was you.

The RSPCA can't give any details as to who reported them, so they wont have any description of who had reported them.

It sounds to me like someone is trying to avoid vet bills, but if they don't get some proper stuff for that leg, the flies will probably lay eggs in the wound, developing fly strike.

I would contact the RSCPA to ask for their advice at least.

Stacey xxx

you definitely need to report this for the well-being of the poor horse.

i saw fly strike on a little bunny once and it was so awful and happens so quickly too!

i think if something further happened to the horse you would regret not doing this now,and that would be awful for you,because i'm sure you'd then be ''if only''....sorry not wishing to put you on a guilt trip,but if they wont help him,at least you know you tried.

This is a predicament your in isn't it. If it were me I'd call the RSPCA, they don't seem to care much for the poor horse and you seem to think it's in pain, if it's a confidential phone call they won't know, it could have easy been a passer by or something like that as far as their concerned. If you don't feel comfortable calling them then maybe you could talk to the owners and maybe suggest to take the horse to the vet? Is the paddock yours, theirs or someone else? if it's someone else's maybe you could talk to them about it??

That horse will lose it's leg if something isn't done soon hun! It has got to be reported asap! The RSPCA won't give out any details about who called them. If this horse has fly-strike, there are going to be maggots eating and pushing their way through the flesh and will practically eat the poor thing alive!

Get the horse some help immediately! you won't regret it! :(

cheers for the graphic explanations of fly strike lol, happy to say I have never experienced this ever.

Oh god. When I worked at the vets we had to get cats and rabbits in to remove the maggots. We always used put them in a dish for disposal. So gross!!!

Stacey xxx