What to feed, how much to feed, and how to feed

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feed Kiska Whites Premium Puppy Food and only have good things to say about it. I also had a professional dog trainer recommend it to me before I explained my dog was already on it :P I'm definately sticking with this brand and moving her onto their adult food once she's old enough. They often have promotions on so you get anything from 10-30% off.

This is a great post. I now feel very guilty as when we got Sabien he had always been fed Wagg, as a novice dog owner, let alone Husky owner, I thought this must be ok as he had always been fed this with he lived with my OH's parents. I have said to my OH over and over again that I am not happy with his poos as they are more often then not runny (I have become obsessed with his poo). I have spent this afternoon reading through the diet section for advice and now realise what an awful and crappy food he has been eating. Have also been looking at the dog food analysis site and googling other brands for prices etc. I personally think it is the wheat etc in the food he has been eating and this has been a suspicion for a while. I would love to try Orijen or TOTW, but my budget at the moment wont allow for this, but hopefully in the future. I have ordered samples from CSJ, but I am still concerned about the maize etc in some of their foods. I have also looked at Quest, but I am concerned that this may be more suitable for a working Sibe which Sabien is not. Can anyone advise me about these brands, any good or bad experiences? I am also quite interested in introducing some raw meats, but in conjunction with his kibble. Can anyone advise what are the best raw meats to give him and any recommendations as to how often and would I replace kibble with raw meat one day and feed kibble the next or would this upset his stomach further? Help and advice much appreciated so I can get Sabien's diet improved and help his tummy.

@Sabien&Abs

Quest is very good, i feed it all year round, and although mine work, they only do very light work and only in the winter, they are fine, tho you do have to watch the amount you feed as it is high protein, my adults are fed 1cup a day, spread over 2 meals, the pup (nearly a year) is on almost 2 cups a day, but she needs to gain weight.

1 15kg bag lasts us around a month

you could try skinners salmon and rice, i fed that before moving to quest and my guys done well on it, its hypoallergenic so no wheat, corn etc or additives :) but a lower protein than the quest and slightly cheaper

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently brought my 4 month male Casper onto Taste Of The Wilds Pacific Stream as its 25% protein. I have slowly introduced him onto the kibble but his stools have not been as firm as they were previously. He has been on this kibble for approx 2 weeks. Should I continue with it? TOTW recommend 2 -3 cups for his age/weight and I have been giving him 2 cups which equates to 452g a day but Casper weighing in at 15kg looks a little underweight to me but can i afford to give him more with his stools being loose.

4 months, 1 cup. doesnt sound bad at all. Husky puppies are skinny by nature, so as long as he doesnt show ribs he will gain weight at his own pace. never follow bag directions, as they lead you to overfeed a husky. When I switched my boy to TOTW, it took him a whole month of irregular soft tool. have you tried giving him plain cooked rice? if so, I would suggest start at 1 -3/4 cups a day, fed over three meals, with some cooked rice (make sure it is not overcooked otherwise it wont help) and see how he improves. Also, after 2 weeks, you should have him only on the new food.

• 1 month later...

Just reading through this thread again as i have recently changed my puppies food on advice from a local-ish breeder and am now feeding my puppies Royal Canin dry food and changing tem over slowly worked without any "runny" mishaps... but i was just wondering what else (if anything) i should/could be feeding them or if i should just keep them on the dry food only.

Maya is 25 weeks old and Togo is 17 weeks old.. i dont have an up to date weight for them at the moment which i will have to have a walk into town and use the vets (they are nice like that)

Ive recently changed Kara from Pedigree Chum puppy to Wainwrights Salmon and Potatoe Puppy. I did it really slowly over a 2 week period. We are still getting random squits though. Spoke to Pets At Home today who felt it may be all the oils in the fish version. So have now bought a Turkey and Rice bag to try her with.

We have been feeding her raw minced chicken too. Could this be the reason? So complicating. :confused:

• 4 months later...

Hi all, Juneau's been eating Life's Abundance during her stay with the breeder, and I also have another month or two's supply of it as well. The breeder seemed to really endorse the stuff; does anybody have experience with it?

It is quite expensive compared to some of the other good dry food brands mentioned earlier, esp. if I get it on amazon w/ free shipping. On that note, any recommendations for food from amazon for a puppy?

Also, would it be alright if I felt like making her a meal like choice C on any given day? Or would it just upset her stomach unless prepared regularly? Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, Juneau's been eating Life's Abundance during her stay with the breeder, and I also have another month or two's supply of it as well. The breeder seemed to really endorse the stuff; does anybody have experience with it?

It is quite expensive compared to some of the other good dry food brands mentioned earlier, esp. if I get it on amazon w/ free shipping. On that note, any recommendations for food from amazon for a puppy?

Also, would it be alright if I felt like making her a meal like choice C on any given day? Or would it just upset her stomach unless prepared regularly? Thanks!

Puppy food from amazon

Autarky is very good high protein we have our husky aurora on that and she is coming on really well.

Is strange but it's actually cheaper on chemist direct.co.uk postage on amazon for the autarky puppy was very high.

Orijen you can get on amazon which is good, our pup aurora is on a mix of the two.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Dear all, rwe have an new member added to our family little Kira our rescued husky from a local shelter. I have read alot of people saying Earthborn- Ocean Catch and Grain free is a quality dry food product I did read teh packaging no by products at all, and I wanted to know if anyone given to their husky... I bought a sample pack for KIRA. We only got Kira on Saturday past so all we know about her is that she eats a bit of dry and wet so i want to ensure I give her the best start in life. I have read the above posts but wanted to know about EARTHBORN. I have also gone to look at the Dog Food analyis it was rated 5 out of 5 for quality product but any one with experience and knowledgeable feedback would be great.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious what everyone's opinion is on the amount of feelings. My two are not working dogs and get about 3 miles of walks per day on average plus play time inside. Nikko is 1 year and 55lbs and Yukon is 5 months and 30lbs. I have them on TOTW high prairie all life stages. They get 2 cups of food per day. Nikko's gets split into 2 meals, 6am and 6pm and Yukon's gets split to 4 meals, 6am, 12pm, 6pm, 8pm.

They do seem hungry a lot but both look healthy. I want to make sure they are getting enough to eat. I do give them some treats such as dried liver, chicken, and carrots

I'm curious what everyone's opinion is on the amount of feelings. My two are not working dogs and get about 3 miles of walks per day on average plus play time inside. Nikko is 1 year and 55lbs and Yukon is 5 months and 30lbs. I have them on TOTW high prairie all life stages. They get 2 cups of food per day. Nikko's gets split into 2 meals, 6am and 6pm and Yukon's gets split to 4 meals, 6am, 12pm, 6pm, 8pm.

They do seem hungry a lot but both look healthy. I want to make sure they are getting enough to eat. I do give them some treats such as dried liver, chicken, and carrots

It wouldn't matter how much i feed mine they still act like i starve them lol

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I am going back through the formulas to make sure I am feeding the correct amounts, and if anyone has some spare time and wouldn’t mind helping me out a bit it would be greatly appreciated :)

Nikko: 13 ½ months old 55lbs

Yukon: 7 months old 35lbs

Food: Taste of the Wild High Prairie (all life stage).

Per cup: 370 calories, 32% protein, 18% Fat

I calculated that Nikko would need 1200 calories, 25% protein and 20% fat. Just on calorie calculation he needs 3 ½ cups per day, however the food is already over on protein by 7% and 2% on fat

I calculated that Yukon would need 800 calories, 28% protein and 17% fat. Just on the calorie calculation he needs just over 2 cups per day.

Feeding Schedule:

Nikko: 1 cup @ 6am; 1 cup @ 5pm = 2 cups

Yukon: ¾ cup @ 6am; ¼ cup @ noon; ¾ cup @ 5pm; ¼ cup 8pm = 2 cups

It seems I am feeding Yukon a good amount, but just need to cut down to 2-3 times per day, but it looks like I need to increase Nikko’s feeding by another 1 ¼ cup per day. He does not act hungry and his stool is normal, and his ribcage does not show. Although his weight has stayed at 55lbs since he was 10 months old.

They do get treats, such as carrots, boiled chicken, dried liver.

I want to make sure I am feeding them the correct amount.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning!  We just brought our new baby home on Saturday, and I am wondering if I am feeding her enough ?? Any advice would be appreciated.  She is 8 weeks old and about 8.5 pounds.  she is lean, but you cannot see her ribs or bones (although I can feel them).  She is very active and alert.  Her breeder weaned her to Eukanuba medium breed puppy and had been feeding her 1/2 c in the a.m. and 1/2 c in the p.m.  I have always prefered to feed a puppy 3 x's per day, so we are giving her three 1/3rds per day.  Is this enough???  She is a bit of a food nut, so I am not sure if that is a husky thing or if she is truly still hungry ?? Breeder seems to like to keep her dogs more on the lean side, but she has championed several dogs, so I would like to follow her advice.  Thanks for your help! 

PS:  I am not familiar with the metric system..so with any advice, please keep that in mind! LOL!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Hoping for some more help here.

I am a little overwhelmed with all the different formulas and als the fact you all measure in cups!. what size of cup lol

I have a 16 week old husky bitch that weighs 13kg looks fine and the vet says she is fine.

I feed her Purina beta puppy as she seems to like it and it agrees with her (apart from the incredible smells her rear can produce).

She gets about 330 to 350 grams of this a day bit always wants more.

Am I feeding her enough do you think ?