Puppy Growth: QUINN

MyMukki

Just had a look at NEO `S growth compared to QUINN`S pleased its similar . First time Husky owner so nothing to gauge him by.

WEEK 9 - 18

WEEK 12 - 24

WEEK 17 - 34

WEEK 22 - 41

week 24- 44

HAD NEO AT THE VETS TODAY FOR HIS 6 MONTH CHECK UP, GIRLS WERE IMPRESSED HOW MUCH HE`S GROWN.

Just had a look at NEO `S growth compared to QUINN`S pleased its similar . First time Husky owner so nothing to gauge him by.

WEEK 9 - 18

WEEK 12 - 24

WEEK 17 - 34

WEEK 22 - 41

These are approx not dead on to the weeks.

Glad he`s doing ok.

I saw that also, -cool! It was good to see. Knowing if a pups weight and growth isn't always easy to determine, Quinn was a surprise pup from a foster dog -his Mother was seriously malnurished and I was concerned about his size.

At Christmas a friend showed up with a new puppy that was a week older than Quinn -she was half the size of Quinn and my friend immediately realized there was a problem -the poor baby had Giardia and needed lots of medical care! The breeder got an earful!

We can help each other with pups if we post growth rates. Just to know if we are in the right range or just because we are curious!

There are a few pups near to where i live, but don``t know there owners or dogs ages, so its good to have someone to gauge NEO against. His dads a big dog and looking at NEO`S paws he will be too. NEO was born 13 november 2008, so about a month younger than QUINN. Will try to get my son to put some photos on soon.

no i wouldn't worry, females are lighter than males, this may help you :)

Male

Height: 21 to 23.5 inches (53 to 60 cm) at the withers.

Weight: 45 to 60 pounds (20 to 27 kg)

Female

Height: 20 to 22 inches (51 to 56 cm) at the withers.

Weight: 35 to 50 pounds (16 to 23 kg)

Naa ney is much lighter is it cuz she is female?

9 weeks she was 11 lbs

12 weeks she was 17lbs

15 weeks she is 21lbs

This worries me..Should I be?

As mentioned by Sarah - Females are meant to be lighter and slightly smaller than Males so I shouldn't worry - she looks like she is growing up very well at a nice pace :)

Would anyone be interested in a program for tracking your dogs weight and general health? Been doing development lately and would be some good practice for me to get into something like this. If so gimme some suggestions on what you would like to see it record

Naa ney is much lighter is it cuz she is female?

This worries me..Should I be?

I'm sure she's fine. Has she been in for her puppy checks at the vet?

Quinn was absolutely loaded with round worms! The vet told me that these worms go into an egg stage dormancy in the mother's body and then come through the mother's milk! I'm not surprised, when I took parasitology I couldn't sleep some nights thinking of how successful these little buggers are! Quinn's mother was a rescue from a terrible situation, she was loaded with worms and we had treated her but no one knew she was pregnant, so when Quinn arrived the vet said to get him in at two weeks for a puppy worming -he actually needed two! I had him in every 3 weeks for boosters and checkups. He was pretty healthy and didn't get Giardia when exposed.

It's not always easy to know. When my friend showed up with her puppy, she was shocked to see the difference in sizes -but hers was from a racing breeder and was supposed to be a larger female. SHe immediately went to the vet and discovered her pup had Giardia and full of worms -lots of drama with breeder after that! Apparently the breeder was trying to 'expand' her program and had gone from reputable to puppy farmer :-(

Basically, the vet told me that many parasites are capable of "hiding" from worming treatments but 'rest' in the breast tissue and wake up when milk is produced. My friend who runs Southern Siberian Rescue told me that when they rescue puppies and bring them in for worming -some are so bad that they poop spaghetti! YUCK!

The weight charts are just a casual comparison among friends but can also be a heads-up. If your puppy passes the vet exams and is eating well, then you you can assume you have a perfectly normal petite female :-)

• 6 months later...