Introducing An Older Sibe to Logan The Pup

Hello everyone, myself and partner are rehoming a 6 year old male into the home next week and was wondering if anyone had any advice on doing this in the best possible way?

Some background, basically the 6 year old is Logan (our pups) dad!! so im hoping this will go smoothly as i think they will prob know each other as it hasnt been that long since they knew each other. He doesnt have food/toy agression and has been around other male adult dogs his entire life. He hasnt been neutered and i dont plan on having him done either so i expect he will put Logan in a lower position within the pack and when hes older we will have Logan challenging him.

I have 10 days off to get them used to each other so my plan is to meet on neutral ground a couple of times beforehand and then supervise their play time when he finally comes home. Ive purchased some new toys which will be the rehomes and wont have any of Logans scent on and a new crate for him to sleep in which ive placed next to Logans, is this a good idea? Logan has settled nicely in his crate and sleeps through the night, will having another sibe right next to him ruin his routine?

Obviously the 10 days off are going to be a case of judging it myself on how they are with food/toys/play etc but any tips would be very helpful!

Thanks

Dan

Hi there,

with our new additions we have always introduced them outside the house and then taken them for a long walk to make them tired. Then we have just walked into the house and had no problems. not sure about the toys because there is a war in our house over toys so they are all kept in the garden :D

They may prefer to sleep together eventually, I would see how they get on. all 4 of ours sleep on our bedroom floor without a peep until 8am then its see who can dive on mum and dad first :lol:

expect some pack re-order in the beginning and some fights breaking out but leave them too it and they will soon be inseperable. I am sure they will be fine. Have fun over christmas :D x

Congratulation Dan. Is there a reason you don't want to have him neutered? Is Logan neutered? If one is, probably best to have both done to avoid those dominance issues. We had Andy for about 2 months when we got Jackson and allowed them an hour to play like crazy in the yard and then did not bring Jackson home until the next night. We were surprised that they both got in the back seat of the car together and were perfect, until we stopped and I got out. It was touch and go for the first month, with a couple all out fights that scared me, and even had me thinking that this was not a good match. Fast forward, they are inseparable. They do everything together and I believe they plan things together, also! I think it's a good idea to have some time at home, but also, start leaving them alone a little at a time to work up to however long they will be alone. Are you going to crate them when you are gone? Mine are not crated as Andy had destroyed the crate and let us know that he would behave as long as he was not confined. Jackson was not crate trained when he came to us and was living for four months in a house with four other dogs, at the bottom of the pack, so at first, he was kind of shy. He still is at the bottom, but we could not have found a more love starved, loving dog. Andy has learned to "tolerate" him, and is a more independent spirit, but they do get along famously. Here's a few pics...of the destroyed crate, and how they can be so loving together!:lol:

[ATTACH]7098.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7099.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7100.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7101.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7102.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7103.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7104.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-2509-13585958491981_thumb.jpg

post-2509-13585958492502_thumb.jpg

post-2509-13585958493034_thumb.jpg

post-2509-13585958493541_thumb.jpg

post-2509-13585958494013_thumb.jpg

post-2509-13585958494556_thumb.jpg

post-2509-13585958495078_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys very helpful. Nanci im not getting either neutered as its been proven that there are both positive AND negative effects from doing so and for most its more a convenience than anything. I think walking them together when i pick him up will be a good idea, and they are going to meet up a few times before he starts living with us too. Logan sleeps in his crate at night then gets the run of the kitchen and utility room during the day, after the ten days im thinking of seperating it into two areas when we go out until i know they can be trusted together.

Does anyone have any advice in regards to crating at night, as in should they be put next to each other or seperate rooms?

Thanks Nix. I was trying to think of a negative also, unless you want to breed them. You can't rehome a dog in the US without them either having already been neutered or signing a contract that you will neuter them in a certain amount of time. It doesn't really change their personalities, simply keeps the unwanted population down, and we have far too many homeless puppies around here! Everyone has their reasons, and I respect that!

well its not proven to lower testosterone or reduce the risk of prostate cancer. In some cases its been proven to increase the risk of bone cancer and hypothyroidism. Yes there are some benefits but not enough to overcome the adverse effects that it can cause again only IMO from the reading ive done. I know some of you will feel strongly against that but ive always acted on what i believe to be best for my dogs from different sources not just from a vet whose primary gain is money.

I would crate them together, so as to help build the bond between them. As for neutering, I've only had one male that wasn't easier to live with (and truthfully, I suppose that he could be worse than he is if I hadn't neutered him!) once he was neutered. I have males that absolutely hated each other when they were intact, that now get along quite well... They are also a LOT easier to live with if there are any females near that are in season - "near", by the way, can be a fair amount of distance, lol!

well its not proven to lower testosterone or reduce the risk of prostate cancer. In some cases its been proven to increase the risk of bone cancer and hypothyroidism. Yes there are some benefits but not enough to overcome the adverse effects that it can cause again only IMO from the reading ive done. I know some of you will feel strongly against that but ive always acted on what i believe to be best for my dogs from different sources not just from a vet whose primary gain is money.

thats cool i was just curious - guess we are lucky with blaze then and it has helped calm him down on the testoreone front lol

both my boys aren't neutered and get along fantastically well (touch wood) whether they're the exception to the rule i'm not sure lol but your putting all the plans in place now so i'm sure things will go well :)

With the crates, i'd crate both in the same room so they don't howl to each other :)

I'm so happy I told you about indi and so glad your rehoming him who knows what would have happened to him otherwise it's just ashame I'm not in the position right now to take her malamute girl off her :( but I guess everything happens for a reason and when the times right I'll have another :)

Good luck with him though I'm sure you'll be fine :D I mist admit her dogs are very well trained