which headcollar do you use and which should I get?

D= Im sorry I didn't mean to upset you, what I meant is that it's great to use something as a tool now, but for the future, it would be better for you and your dog if you gradually get them off the face harness'. Please don't feel bad for using a face harness because loads do, it's just better to gradually get them off it, like weaning a baby off milk.

Stacey xxx

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Louise I agree with you I used a halti on all mine with the padding on the nose as the normal one was just marking there faces I now only but it on when I go somewhere where other dogs are as ice is a lil shit he goes at other dogs so use it so I can control his head lol my mum use it on are malamute as a 55kg dog could cause a lot of problem if he see something he wants lol I would put it on him and take it off when he stops pulling use a training lead so u don't have to worry about him doing a runner when u take it off I tryed everything with ice from chicken to his favorite toy to stop the pulling but he aint intrested in anything when he on a walk.

I am impressed with anyone who has been able to train their husky to walk calmly without any special collar. I've read that it's possible,and I've invested a lot of time and effort into it. I've walked back and forth on the block, saying "Uh uh!" when Max gets to the end of the leash and turning him around in the other direction, and I've tried using treats to reward him walking by my side. Unfortunately, he isn't very treat motivated and won't be bothered if I stop giving them, and he's easy going enough that he doesn't seem to mind being turned around and around and around. The only thing I really accomplished was teaching myself to hate walking him (and probably making the neighbors think I was crazy). I know it's possible theoretically, but it's the one thing that I have felt at a loss with from day 1.

We got him a gentle leader. I know it's a band-aid for the problem, but it made things a lot easier on everyone. I won't use it in situations where he'll get super excited (i.e. going to the dog park), as I'm worried about him hurting his neck, but it works very well for a general walk around the block.

Ozzy act like a different dog with his Gentle Leader on. I will say that it doesn't seem to be the best built piece I've seen and it tends to leave marks in his fur where it wraps around his snout after a long walk.

i use the gentle leader, it leaves marks under the eyes though, but it does stop the pulling

We had that problem, until Andy took some plush fabric and sewed it around the muzzle strap. It made a world of difference, and we no longer worry about his muzzle getting marked up.

We have always been 100% against the prong collar, but we just tried someone else's for the heck of it, and it made a world of difference. It doesn't seem to hurt him unless he lunges after a rabbit, and he doesn't seem to mind it (except that it won't allow him to pull). My concern with using it is that it may mean we've given up on training polite leash-walking. *sigh*

^What she said, lol. We have honestly tried everything we could think of to get him to walk politely without pulling and nothing except the prong collar has worked. I am not a fan of it, in general, but he isn't choking himself with it and he doesn't get many corrections with it, he knows when it's on and he knows what happens if he doesn't leave the leash slack. It's honestly the only thing we've found to get him to stop pulling on walks. That said, maybe once I get him out bike-joring, he'll stay tired enough to not need it on walks...