which headcollar do you use and which should I get?

Storm pulls me so much that I am now getting a very painful elbow and if it carries on I am concerned it will permanently damage my arm. I don't really like the idea if this but I have no choice. I will not use a choke chain or even a semi as I don't agree with it. (not meaning anything to anyone who does use them, It's a personal choice). He stops to sniff everything and when I pull him away from it he then runs in front of me causing a massive jarr to my arm. Thanks in advance guys. Loves ya. xx :D

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Halti - Saffi doesn't pull as much on a Halti, but they are easy for them to slip (I've had a few near misses!) and they pull up over the dogs eyes. Over time I've heard that they can cause some dogs eye problems.

The canny collar - Saffi pulls a bit more with the canny, but they are more secure than the Halti and it doesn't pull over the eyes.

I use the Canny, works really well on 2 of mine, another I have only taken for 1 walk with it and he was fighting against it, but still better than the Halti which he rolled around with until he ripped it off.

The Halti only worked well on my GSD, but they're a whole different ballpark training wise.

I use a canny, but also the semi slip. He can't get out of the semi slip, but can rip off the canny in about 4 seconds if he wants to, like he would have this morning when seeing other dogs or people. May look into another kind of no pull harness, but I do think that might give him more power. Have you looked at this? I'm considering it also...Illusion Collar I hear ya about the pulling, my arm, shoulder, and neck are killing me from my morning walk and I wasn't very nice to him about it, so I feel bad, also!

I use a canny, but also the semi slip. He can't get out of the semi slip, but can rip off the canny in about 4 seconds if he wants to, like he would have this morning when seeing other dogs or people. May look into another kind of no pull harness, but I do think that might give him more power. Have you looked at this? I'm considering it also...Illusion Collar I hear ya about the pulling, my arm, shoulder, and neck are killing me from my morning walk and I wasn't very nice to him about it, so I feel bad, also!

Looking at that illusion collar the way it fits around the dogs neck I can imagine it would do so REALLY serious damage to the kneck if the dog thrashed around as you say your Jackson does so I really wouldnt risk it.. Im not really a fan of anything Ceasar Milan says anyway, his methods are extreamly old fashioned and out of touch with real dog behaviour... everything is about dominance to him which I (and many others) seriously disagree with. Just my twopenny worth there. :)

Yu cant use a headcollar on a puppy, his bones and joints are still growing and the way the headcollar puts pressure on the neck is dangerous at his age.

Train him , it will take a lot of time, effort and consistancy,but it'll be worth it. Or invest in a walking belt so he can pull without hurting your arms

Head collars are just as aversive if not more so for many dogs than check chains/martingales and even prong collars. Don't fool yourself into thinking they are gentle, kind tools that aren't aversive to the dog.

Training loose leash walking is not about the tool you use, it's about the training you dog with it. A dog can learn to pull on any tool, whacking a head collar on it is not going to teach it LLW.

I have a Halti headcollar and I've only used it twice in all the years that I've had it but the couple of times that I did use it, it worked very well. I only use the head collar when it is absolutely vital that my husky remain completely controlled like when we're climbing down a steep rocky mountain and a crazy husky pull could kill us both. While I do have a Halti, I would recommend the Canny collar to anyone considering getting a head collar. The canny collar is IMO the best out there, unfortunately I did not know about the canny collar back when I bought my Halti.

Just remember that no matter what head collar you use, it is merely a training aid and is not the solution to problem pulling.

A dog can learn to pull on any tool, whacking a head collar on it is not going to teach it LLW.

^This is spot on and should not be taken lightly.

Head collars are great training aids in assisting you to curb pulling on the lead but serious training is a must. I understand that you have problems with your elbow which can make this harder on you so it would be wise to enlist the help of friends/family to help you with the loose leash training and impulse control. Personally I would try a no pull harness before resorting to a head collar.

My dog has a full choke collar and I would like to change it for another as I am worried it will hurt him. He had it when I got him and every time I stop him I loosen it and he shakes his body to loosen it from time to time as well. I am trying to teach him to walk calmly so every time he pulls (well almost every time) I make him sit. He is getting better and pulling less but despite that fact I'm worried he is gonna get hurt. So first of all are my concerns warranted? And if these are so bad why do the make them...Second if I buy him a new collar what would be best and how exactly would I get his old one off and new one on? Over the head? And how doi k ow what size to get? I know that's loads of questions but I want to make informed choices. Thanks.

get a semi slip, from snowpawstore.They're 10.50 with delivery and really really strong, they go over the head and tighten by 2 inches when tension is put on the lead so they cant slip them, but they dont choke.

My 2 both wear these and I wouldnt use any other :)

My dog has a full choke collar and I would like to change it for another as I am worried it will hurt him. He had it when I got him and every time I stop him I loosen it and he shakes his body to loosen it from time to time as well. I am trying to teach him to walk calmly so every time he pulls (well almost every time) I make him sit. He is getting better and pulling less but despite that fact I'm worried he is gonna get hurt. So first of all are my concerns warranted? And if these are so bad why do the make them...Second if I buy him a new collar what would be best and how exactly would I get his old one off and new one on? Over the head? And how doi k ow what size to get? I know that's loads of questions but I want to make informed choices. Thanks.

Your doing EXACTLY the right thing with the training so keep that up and he'll get there, Yes your concerns are warrented he could really hurt himself if he pulled really hard he could crush his windpipe! They still make them because missguided people still use them and where theres money to be made it will always come before welfare (sad but true!), Collars to buy yep Id go with what Sid said, a semi-slip is much better for you dog and his fur too (chokes can pull chunks out of his fur if it gets cuaght), to take the choker off just loosen it as far as it will go and slip it over his head and to put the new one on the same back over his head, for the size there should be a messureing guide on the snowpaw site this will tell you how to fit for him.

Personally I use walking harnesses so mine just have flat collars with plastic clicks just to carry their ID tags (also something you need to get him if he hasnt got one its a legal requirement it should have your name, address and telphone number and if hes microchiped I'd put that on there too) but then I use a walking belt and have my dog pull me rather than having them walk loose leash! :)

Looking at that illusion collar the way it fits around the dogs neck I can imagine it would do so REALLY serious damage to the kneck if the dog thrashed around as you say your Jackson does so I really wouldnt risk it.. Im not really a fan of anything Ceasar Milan says anyway, his methods are extreamly old fashioned and out of touch with real dog behaviour... everything is about dominance to him which I (and many others) seriously disagree with. Just my twopenny worth there. :)

Sarah, I'm at a loss, and am looking at every option. Last night there was so much distraction Jackson would have preferred to take his walk on his two back legs he was rearing up so much. It might be a good idea for us to try him in both a collar and harness. Just takes so darned long to get ready to go out when it's so cold as is, (for us) that it's a pain. My partner has put him back in the no slip, and I'm going to start using the canny again. He's such a good dog everywhere except on our walks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

we got a halti for Willow when i was sick of having my arm pulled off. At first it was great she couldnt pull at all but she really hated it. She pawed at her face and rolled on the floor to try and get it off and eventually didn't want to go for walks becuase it meant putting the head collar on. The halti was hard to put on as well it got tangled easily and left marks on her nose.

Also i found that it just masks the pulling it doesnt solve the problem she was still pulling with the head collar on but just not very hard. We have been trying to train her not pull and now we just use a normal slip collar and are making good progress.

It's better to fix the problem then cover it up.

My mum uses the halti on her border collies and my grandad used to use it on his border collie.

Lately they have been telling me that it's hurting their dogs eyes a lot.

This in my opinion is not a fault of the halti; but more that it is not being used correctly. If used correctly the halti can be very good.

However, if control from under the chin really isn't doing the job, then I would seriously suggest the canny collar which I've just advised to my mum and grandad. I've tried a fake canny collar on Aleu (one I sewed myself recently) and it works really well, so I'm planning on giving the one I made to my mum lol.

I agree with Rose_Willow about not covering up a problem though +1.

Stacey xxx

I'm not covering up the problem!!! I physically don't have the strength to walk him without the canny collar!!! :( I tried correcting him and I don't have the physical strength to do that. I really hurt my shoulder and arm doing that and my Husband can't walk him atm as he has Sciatica really badly. So it's either the canny collar or no walks at all. I really hate using it, I do but I feel like I have no choice at all.