Puppy food

TAIKO

Hi everyone!

As you can see i am new here. i am still trying to learn how everything on this site works. It took me about 20 mins to figure out how to post this. haha, ok well i recently brought home a new husky. He is 9 wks old and i am trying to see if i made a good or bad decision on his food. i did some research and spoke to some people about which dog food would be good for him, and i have decided on Solid Gold "wolf cub".. any idea if this is something i should keep feeding Taiko or should i gradually take him off and onto something else? thank you!

Hi everyone!

As you can see i am new here. i am still trying to learn how everything on this site works. It took me about 20 mins to figure out how to post this. haha, ok well i recently brought home a new husky. He is 9 wks old and i am trying to see if i made a good or bad decision on his food. i did some research and spoke to some people about which dog food would be good for him, and i have decided on Solid Gold "wolf cub".. any idea if this is something i should keep feeding Taiko or should i gradually take him off and onto something else? thank you!

Hi Taiko welcome to the forum!

What does your breeder recommend you feed him? They are often a good source of info for things like diet.

I feed my dogs on a raw diet (BARF) but when it comes to kibble, I prefer Artemis, Royal Canin or Eagle Pack Holistic.

The best food for your pup is the food he does best on, so I would find one good quality diet and stick to it if he does well on it.

Hey smeagle!

Well the breeder actually left that up to me. He said when they were ready to eat dry food, he will go ahead and start him out on what i wanted to feed him. ( of course not on ANY food) but he didn't disagree with Solid Gold. i figured because solid gold was high in protein, it would be good for him(this is what ppl have told me). Taiko doesnt seem to mind it and he will finish it every time i feed him. i also mix his dry with wet Natual Balance. how do i know if he is doing good on this food or not? what signs should i look for? thanks

our breeder had Blaze on large breed puppy wag biscuits which he still has but he also had him in tinned asda puppy food which we have changes for butchers he seems ok on this we did get him wainwrights as other owners have recommended it as it helps wit the runs (sorry) but he didnt touch it so its back to wag but he seems ok on this his stools r soft but not runny (sorry again) i keep him on what he is currently being fed then if u want to change it do it gradually hope this helped tho i no there are far more experienced owners on here that cud help u better than i can as i am a new husky owner myself he is now 6 months and he is our first husky

also welcome to the site! hope to c some pics taiko soon :)

our breeder had Blaze on large breed puppy wag biscuits which he still has but he also had him in tinned asda puppy food which we have changes for butchers he seems ok on this we did get him wainwrights as other owners have recommended it as it helps wit the runs (sorry) but he didnt touch it so its back to wag but he seems ok on this his stools r soft but not runny (sorry again) i keep him on what ur breeder fed him then if u want to change it do it gradually hope this helped tho i no there are far more experienced owners on here that cud help u better than i can as i am a new husky owner myself he is now 6 months and he is our first husky

also welcome to the site! hope to c some pics taiko soon :)

Hey! i just wanted to say his stools are the same "soft but not runny" haha so i guess that is a good sign... i just really want to make sure this food will give him all the nutrition he needs to be healthy.... thank you!

I agree with BB, the consistency of his poo is always a good indicator.

When I fed mine on kibble I would also make sure they got raw bones regularly, from chicken frames/necks/wings to lamb necks/shanks/forequarters etc. You can also mix in a little bit of natural yoghurt into his kibble as this helps with digestion, I also fed a can of sardines at least once a week.

When it comes to choosing kibble I always go by the grain content, you don't want a grain of any kind to be listed in the first few ingredients (i.e. maize, corn, grain etc). Grains are used in dried food as fillers so a food with a minimal grain content is always a good place to start.

Hi welcome to the site :)

A high protein kibble is always good when they're young as it will help them to grow.

Like Smeagle has said though, they can have meats / bones as well - but with the bones you will need to keep you eye on them for choking.

The stools are a good indicator of food absorption as well, if it goes straight in and out you've got a problem lol Overfeeding sibes can get very messy as can changing their diet - but as you said, done gradually, you shouldn't have a problem :)

Look forward to seeing you around the site, there are lots of experienced members but everyone learns something new everydau.....look forward to seeing some pictures on of pup - if you get stuck or need a hand with anything just give us a shout or pop a post in the help section and you'll get a reply quite quickly :)

Hi everyone!

i've never actually heard of this food not even seen it in the pet shops:confused:

anyway i feed my pup on wainwrights which he eats and seems to enjoy as only lasts him 5 mins.

before this i tried burns and james well beloved neither of which agreed with him. he constantly had the runs on both.

i feed him the salmon and potato variety of wainwrights as this combo is supposed to be good for sensitive stomach also has a low grain content.also has a very low amount of ash and is high in protien.

here is a link for the food we use http://www.petsathome.com/find/product-is-v00022

A reason you probably haven't seen Solid Gold is because it's over here in the States. Same way we don't have a lot of the foods you folks in the UK have, we don't have Wainwrights here in the US. I wouldn't highly recommend Wainwrights to folks here in the States anyway since it contains sorghum and beet pulp.

Hey! i just wanted to say his stools are the same "soft but not runny" haha so i guess that is a good sign... i just really want to make sure this food will give him all the nutrition he needs to be healthy.... thank you!

Taiko, Solid Gold Wolf Cub is an excellent food. As it was stated before, the stool is a good indicator of how well your pup is doing on it. You say his stools are soft but not runny. Truthfully his stools should not be soft at all, they should really be quite firm. However since your pup is only 9 weeks old, I would imagine you have only just started mixing in his new food with the old and it will take time for him to adjust to the new food. If after being on SG Wolf cub for several weeks and he still has soft stool I would give something else a try. If he doesn't do great on that I highly recommend Orijen puppy to most people in the states with pups that have sensitive tummies.

Hi TAIKO and welcome to the site :)

Unfortunately I can't tell you if you have your sibe on a good diet or not. As many sibes have a sensitive stomach Im sure that your pup will soon let you know if the diet is ok or not.

Every dog is different and some dogs can have a particular diet and be fine whereas another dog may not. For example: Let say you have a friend with a sibe who feeds theirs on a particular diet (lets call it Diet1) and has had no problems with Diet1 at all and so you decide to give it a try and find your sibe gets the runs from it and so you have to change the diet to something else. I think that makes sence.

You may find that many owners on here will feed their dogs on BARF (Raw food and bone diet) which seems to work really well with the sibe and it resembles the same sort of diet they would originally have. I have my boys on the BARF diet and have not had any problems and I have found it to be much cheaper. This does not mean that you should change onto this diet (for the reason explained above). I would stick to the diet you have your sibe on now and see how they go first before looking into other diets.

When I was looking into different dry foods I tried to look for the most natural dry food I could. I would always check the labels for any additives or colourings, etc that may be in the food, if there was any I wouldn't buy it.

Thank you!

Thank you very much EVERYONE! You guys have helped me a lot! i think i am going to keep him on Solid Gold for now and see where that goes... i am also planing to put raw meat into his food, im not sure if this is a good or bad idea but if u guys know, please let me know! thanks again - Tony

alot ov people fed an all raw diet so i dont c anyharm in adding raw meat into his food blaze somestimes has a little minced beef or chicken with his n he seems ok wit it u cud have a couple meals kibble and a couple meals just raw meat i think other ppl who have more experience with huskies and feed the barf diet (raw meat ect) themselves cud help u more

if anyones worrying bout bones and choking on them soak the bones in some apple cider vinegar also good for them also as it provides them with 19 of the 22 vitamins they need

oh never knew that - thanks scott - added to rep :)