Older Sibe Question

Austinville

As most of you know, my boy is 14 years. Here's the background for my question: Within the past three months, he's been started on Previcox for his arthritis. I give him 1/2 dosage in the a.m. and 1/2 in the p.m. He also gets glucosamine. He gets VERY SHORT walks - approx. 1/3 to 1/2 mile. Any longer and we have to stop for him to rest as he gets very tired and begins stumbling.

Recently he's become very vocal during the evening. This is usually after his food has been offered and while we're watching the television. He knows I am there (in the next room - open floorplan)...

This is a typical Siberian "woooo" crossed with a bark. (A totally new sound for him) He will quiet down if I go and sit by him. I just can't seem to decipher what he's trying to tell me and it's frustrating for both of us.

I've tried food, water, treats, conversation, companionship and nothing seems to ease him. (When not making this new sound, he's often 'huffing' which he does when he's nervous.) He typically stops anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes after he's begun.

I spoke with my vet because I wondered if the pain meds weren't enough. (They can't be increased as he's at the max dosage for his weight.)

Anyone with some ideas for me?

Our 14 year border collie would do this every evening , roughly @ same time. we couldn't understand why she did this either, didn't want to go out, want a biscuit, be fussed, it was strange when she did it as it too was a wooowoooo, like a sibe. she stood in front of us doing this , she did it for about 20 minutes then we told her to go & lay down & sometimes she would , not always though, in the end she wandered off & lay down as we ignored this behaviour but it carried on for months.

oh give Bo some hugs from me. It must be awful not knowing what they want. And hugs to you as well xxx

Did the vet check his blood pressure, temp etc? Are his eyes still like they were? Has his coat changed at all, these are all signs that something's not quite right?

No changes in his eyes or fur...... I'm friends with the vet tech and she doesn't have an idea either. I haven't taken him in yet as I don't want to put him through a lot of tests as it's plain too hard on him anymore. The last time he was put out for testing, it took three days for his liver to work through the anesthesia. (He had a bloody growth on his anus - removed, tested, and non-cancerous).

I know we're nearing the end of our time together and I just want to make his last months/years comforatable. It breaks my heart to have had him so long and to not understand what he's telling me.

Oh austinville......my heart is aching now, I can't even begin to understand what you must be going through.

having gotten to know you through your posts on here, I can guarantee you though that he knows how much you love him.

xx

Going to stop writing now as have tears in my eyes hugs to you both xxx

We have an eleven year old ex breeding bitch Noushka (had her from aged 8) and she does most of the things that you have posted, the woo,woo followed by a bark, (with this she will be lying there and then just lift her head and bark then woo,woo quite a few times a day) the huffing, not wanting to go out (even with the snow that we've had in Britain she just turned round and laid on her bed, didn't want to know). She does go out when she wants, toiletries or a little wander. I think it is just old age, but there is one thing that you can be sure of and that's that he knows he's loved and very much cared for. Don't think about the end, just keep living the days you have, (that's what we do) and enjoy every second...

Thanks Smithy (and everyone else) I just don't want to be missing something silly that will ease him. The huffing has always indicated his anxiety before and this new expression just has me worried. It's helpful to know that another older Sibe is acting similarly.

I hope it's just as you say, just the old age (combined with an overreactive owner!) I appreciate everyone's responses and concerns. Bo and I are far from giving in to his age - we do have time left and will enjoy every moment!