play fighting?

i got another sibe 2 weeks ago to keep my boy Raiden company while im away at work. well they did have a few serious fights the first few days but that was over pretty quick and Raiden gave up his dominant position to Geneva.

now that they are good friends they like to play fight and at first it seems funny but it gets pretty violent and they bite and nip at eachother, but it seems to be all in good fun.

could they hurt eachother doing this? because sometimes they get really into it and im afraid one of them might hurt the other one.

Hi congrats on your second sibe :)

They will play fight like that and will probably draw blood at some point, I wouldn't worry too much about it but make sure you know the difference between playing and fighting. Keep and eye on their body language, tails down, ears back indicates a fighting stance.

End of the day, only you know your dogs and how they interact with each other, same as i know mine, i would keep and eye on the body language and intervene if necessary :)

Hi congrats on your second sibe :)

They will play fight like that and will probably draw blood at some point, I wouldn't worry too much about it but make sure you know the difference between playing and fighting. Keep and eye on their body language, tails down, ears back indicates a fighting stance.

End of the day, only you know your dogs and how they interact with each other, same as i know mine, i would keep and eye on the body language and intervene if necessary :)

thanks for the useful info! they dont display that type of body language so im sure they mean eachother no harm. i was just concerned as it gets real intense sometimes

Great advise Sarah! Can't think of anything else to put there.

My 3 boys play fight all the time (unless food is involved in which case it does turn aggressive) and I sometimes get down on the floor and join in with them, its all good fun and great for bonding with them. Usually if they do bite/nip then it is only softly and they dont draw blood intentionally either. But as Sarah said, if there is a little blood drawn make sure you keep an eye on it and clean it if necessary.

my two dogs fight all the time aswell 9yr old staffie cross 5 month old husky and if i think it looks agressive i seperate them but they still do it all the time its alot ov teeth and a few growls but nuffin serious n they have never drawn blood on each other like sarah says i wud just keep an eye on them and if you feel its gettin too rough seperate them and give them a firm no i do that tho i find they just go back to play fightin agen no matter wot i say oh n also they do nip at each other aswell bings (the staffie) will grab blazes (the husky) leg and pull it and grab hold ov his cheek or his throat but dont hurt him n blaze will do the same and he grabs his scruff and his ears aswell n they have never hurt eachother hope this helps

Our dogs fight all of the time usually because our GSD torments Isis with her toys and they end up running all round the house chasing each other!

Growling/ barking/ biting all involved - but language is always friendly!

same wit my two but its blaze tormenting bing wit toys lol

I've noticed the difference between dog play & husky play, huskies tend to try & bite the ears & scruff of the other dog and rear up & "box" which, when you get 2 huskies "boxing" is funny to watch, when they get tired, they end up hugging instead! I've noticed other non-huskies (!) view this as aggressive, but it's just husky play. All part of being a husky!! This is Myshka on the left with a "friend" Diesel in the park, boxing & hugging! All good fun!!

phonejan09045.jpg

phonejan09046.jpg

phonejan09047.jpg

c with my two they dont do this only have the 1 husky u see and with mine its alot ov teeth and it looks agressive but they have never hurt each other and they punch each other (well thats wot it looks like) heres a few pics u can c y it can look agressive but its not its all play

picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=599

picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=730

picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=731

picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=732

picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=733

GSD = german shepherd dog!

thanks, thats what i thought. ive been wanting to get a GSD myself for a good guard dog

I've noticed the difference between dog play & husky play, huskies tend to try & bite the ears & scruff of the other dog and rear up & "box" which, when you get 2 huskies "boxing" is funny to watch, when they get tired, they end up hugging instead! I've noticed other non-huskies (!) view this as aggressive, but it's just husky play. All part of being a husky!! This is Myshka on the left with a "friend" Diesel in the park, boxing & hugging! All good fun!!

mine havent done the "boxing" thing yet, but that looks pretty niffty lol

c with my two they dont do this only have the 1 husky u see and with mine its alot ov teeth and it looks agressive but they have never hurt each other and they punch each other (well thats wot it looks like) heres a few pics u can c y it can look agressive but its not its all play

:eek: wow thats looks more violent then when mine fight haha

great pix guys

:eek: wow thats looks more violent then when mine fight haha

lol yeah it does look violent but they've never hurt each other and they have never drawn blood (think thats 1st pic was just good timing lol) and they play like this for the vast majority ov the day probs apart frm meal times bed times and on sum walks - they do it on walks aswell lol