Silent Whistle

lol yesterday whilst in a pet shop i bought a silent whistle, just one of them silly things you do.

Dave thought i was crazy as they don't really work, well sat at my desk i opened it, blew it and wow Odin yes Odin came straight to me.

well thinking this was just a one off as Odin's so stuborn he never comes, i left it for a few hours then did again and all three came to me.

Is loving this but NO this is not going to last, last thing at nite we can not get Odin in without giving him cheese, so last nite Dave took the whistle and guess what, no cheese needed they all came in even Odin.

Going to try this out on the field today whilst dogs are off lead lol, takes us half hour to catch Odin, so hope this works out doors as well as indoor.

whish me luck lol

It may just be a fluke, the dogs may just be curious as to what's that high pitched noise I've never heard of before? I wouldn't depend on it for recall without any training.

I've been training Polar recall with a (rather low quality) silent whistle. I train her with a regular voice recall for little things like come here for petting, for a brushing session, to move away from rude guests, to put on the leash, etc. So it's ok with me if she obeys the voice command sometimes unwillingly. I also train her with the whistle for what I consider "emergency recall" to keep her safe or out of trouble, and I'd only use the whistle during training or in an emergency, like when she got out of the back door or if her leash broke and she got away, so I want her to have a very high degree of obedience with the whistle.

Oh wow thats wkd Linda hun! biggrin.gif i was looking at them in pets at home but didnt bother getting one cause i didnt think it would really work or that Grey would just ignor it lol...rolleyes.gif If its working for you with Odin then im going to defo give it a try! Il let you Guys know how I get on biggrin.gif x x x x x x

I just bought a dog whistle this last week myself. Tank does respond faster, but chewy responds better.

So far it is very successful as a training aid though. I just trained them with it the same way I trained Tank

on the clickers again. I had them responding to different whistle patterns pretty quick and that was fun.

So far I like the cheaper one that I bought but I might spring for the $30 whistle later.

Boar i would never use it for total recall as Odin is so bad but if it get's him close so i can grab him it will do me lol xxxx

But I think it's still a worthwhile training, even if you don't get 100%. I don't think I'll get Polar to 100% reliable recall, but every little bit of increase helps. God forbid if Polar ever got lost one day, it's easier to walk around blowing on the whistle, rather than to walk around yelling out her name aloud.

so true Boer i wont give up on it end of the day at least he comes in sight of me so i know where he is xxxx

Yes, I always have the whistle with me when I walk Polar, and even in the guesthouse I keep the whistle on me. Polar sometimes like to get into some really dark tight spaces to explore, one day I couldn't find her anywhere in the guesthouse, so I blew on the whistle and heard some rustling behind one of the walls, and she crawled out from the tight space behind our washing machine looking really happy. rolleyes.gif