Backpacks

Sarah

I think every Siberian should have some kind of "job". Bo used to have a little pouch and would carry my water bottle on walks. Now that he can't really take those long walks (arthritis) he doesn't have a job, per say, but he still enjoys having it on, even if it's empty and we're not going far.

its a great idea.... i use one on Tikaani ... i walk on short leads till in fields... but hey why should i carry the flexi leads .. when Tikaani can... i doesnt seem to bother her if anything she seems to love it... it helps build them up.. if not with weight in there at least your dog can carry your phone , car keys, or even emergency first aid kit ..etc... leaving your hands free..

Kimba's only 9 months at the moment so could i use it with nothing in for no so he gets used it it?

I would be careful doing too much exercise with any larger breed under the age of 12 months.

Here in Australia you cannot put a Sibe to a sled that is under 12 months because they don't want you to over exercise any dog that has joints that are still developing.

No, i understand that, what i was asking was could he carry the backpack empty or is it too heave? Come to think of it - how much do they weigh with nothing in them?

On its own I am sure the back pack would be ok, it would depend how far you intend to walk him with it (IMO).

What reason do you want to use the backpack? To build muscle or tire him out more etc?

I would be inclined to think an hour a day walking is more than enough for a nine month old, I don't think the empty back pack would tire him out or make too much of a difference for him.

If you do want to use it I would also work him up to it, by letting him wear it around the house and then walking him with it on in small increments.

What reason do you want to use the backpack? To build muscle or tire him out more etc?

I would be inclined to think an hour a day walking is more than enough for a nine month old, I don't think the empty back pack would tire him out or make too much of a difference for him.

If you do want to use it I would also work him up to it, by letting him wear it around the house and then walking him with it on in small increments.

mainly to allow him to have a purpose and if it can tire him out all the better lol. Tired well excercised dog is a happy dog lol

2 hours a day wouldn't tire him out he seems to have an endless supply of energy lol

mainly to allow him to have a purpose and if it can tire him out all the better lol. Tired well excercised dog is a happy dog lol

2 hours a day wouldn't tire him out he seems to have an endless supply of energy lol

Oh I know what it's like with the endless supply of energy and stuff! I am just very, very careful when it comes to larger breeds and growing joints, especially Sibes as they are prone to HD and ligament damage.

It was terrible waiting for my beagle to be old enough to walk further distances, but it pays to be careful when they are still growing. You don't want to do damage that can affect them for the next ten years or more.

To be honest I haven't really heard much about these. Usually Gizmo may find a stick whilst we are on our walk and I will let him carry that if he want too and he does walk a little calmer on the lead (as in pulling).

This may sound like a silly question but are the backpacks well ventilated? Im thinking about when we get warmer weather as Gizmo isn't fond of heat