Cabbie prosecuted over dog snub

Dunc

A private hire driver has been ordered to pay 2,175 after he refused to let a partially sighted woman and her assistance dog into his vehicle.

Jarnail Singh, of Slough, was booked by a hotel but when he arrived he said he was not allowed to take the dog.

Slough council was contacted last July and prosecuted the 45-year-old under the Disability Discrimination Act.

He was found to have committed an offence at Bracknell Magistrates Court on Friday and fined a maximum 1,000.

Singh, who failed to attend court, was also ordered to pay 1,175 in costs.

'Serious offence'

Under the act, drivers cannot refuse to carry registered assistance dogs unless they have applied for and been granted an exemption certificate on medical grounds.

Singh, of Goodman Park, had neither applied for, nor been granted, this exemption, the court was told.

Mick Sims, licensing manager for Slough Borough Council, said: "This is a very serious offence and breach of the act that we will not tolerate.

"We're extremely pleased with the result as it's our first prosecution of this type.

"We hope the case serves as a warning to all other licensed drivers to ensure they operate fairly and within the law."

Councillor Shafiq Chaudhry, commissioner for community and leisure, said: "Disability discrimination is an extremely serious matter.

"It's important residents feel confident that the council is doing everything it can to ensure drivers who breach the act are prosecuted."

good post Dunc...

i would like to add a few points to this post.. i am in no way defending anyone for refusing a guide into their licenced private hire or hackney carriage ... but the above post will make people think that the cabbie was inconsiderate...

however i do beleive that a driver should have the right after spending 10/15 thousand on a car paying out for a the compliance testing ..and struggling to keep it clean .. for the next person..

hotels are notoriuos for not telling the office that they book with all info about journey.. not all but most hotel staff treat taxi company staff as low forms of life.. im not saying this is the case but on many occasions it is... had they told the controller that there was a dog. then suitable vehichle would have been sent ie Hackney or mini bus or purpose built motor..

many people are to quick to blame the " stupid " cabbie.. as a dog lover and owner myself i would not let a dog into my taxi... i know age of taxis vary from town to town etc but in Kent there is strict rules ...

the last thing anyone wants to do when going out of a night in new ballgown or suit is to get covered in dog hair...

know im sure some one is reading my reply.. and poss thinking what is he talking about.. so ill leave you with some of my credentials..

upto about 8 years ago and for the previous 15 years i have worked in the taxi trade in Kent... as a controller / driver / then manager ... when the company i worked for started ( before computers ) it had approx 4 of us and i have lived breathed and cried over the firm to make it the most succesfull and largest fleet of taxis / coaches and executive limo's in the south east.. currently in excess of 500 motors..

and due to current climate and unemployment i have found myself returning to the trade...

so please any one reading ... dont judge us.. its not allways the cab drivers fault....

i appologise if i have sounded abrupt or rude... but once again the council penalize the driver... they do enough of that with what they charge for testing and checks etc..

y dnt they have special taxis for people with guide dogs/dogs in general so when they ring up they can say oh btw i have a guide dog/dog and they can send a taxi that can carry the guide dog/dog and use other taxis for people like rich says who dnt rly wanna get covered in dog hair then there wud b no trouble and no hassle and no discrimination thats my point ov veiw anyway :)