Hello from Bahrain

Hi Everyone,

I an new here and I am from Bahrain.I am looking forward to buy a Husky, the only problem is that we don't have breeders for them here and little people have experience with the huskies.Today I found someone who have two puppies and they are around 6 months old and noth of them are all white and he wanted them for 1100 $,and I found a one year old husky Grey/White for the same price but he wasn't well trained but I LOVED him he wanted to play with me and he wasn't afraid from me.Is it better to buy the older one or the puppy if you have a child in the house(4 years old) ?? Is it hard to train a one year old husky??

I looking forward for your opinion and I want to learn from you guys before doing something that I will regret in the future.

Thank you

hi welcome to the site - its not hard to train a year old husky but it will be slightly harder than training a puppy as you will have to be so consistant and patient as he will take a little longer to learn then a pup will - also a year old husky MIGHT be better for you and you child as older dogs dont nip - puppies nip and their teeth are like needles - if your child and your puppy are playing and play gets abit rough the puppy could nip your child (like he/she would if he/she was with their litter mates) hope this helps - good luck in your search for finding your new pack member smile.gif

also have you done any other research in the breed like not being able to be let off lead? and the fact they are high energy dogs? their high prey drive? their sensitive stomachs ect? if not have a read around the forum theres alot of information about sibes also try and get your hands on a book called 'siberian huskies for dummies' its a really good book full of information :)

and on top of training your new Husky keeping it cool in such a hot climate will also be a major challenge.

Keeping your dog well exercised AND cool, maybe some of our folks in Florida or California might be able to offer some advice.

Good luck

huskies coats are very good for keeping them cool in the warm weather and warm in sub-zero tempratures however you will need to add extra things 2 keep them cool - when it was hot in the summer here we got a paddling pool out for blaze 2 lie down in he was also given ice cubes in his water and had somewhere shaded and cool 2 chill in when it got TOO hot for him

whatever you do NEVER shave your husky thinkin this will help in the warm weather as u will ruin their coat and when it gets really cold ect u may find you have a sibe who cant keep regulated his bodyheat properly and could get ill from the cold or get heat exhaustion (sp?) in rly warm weather

we have a few members from california i think i no we have a couple from australia aswell