Should we or shouldn’t we

simplysie

Hi all.

First a big thanks for an awesome place. 

My wife and I are now in a position where we could give a forever home to a Husky. The wife works shifts (NHS) but I am lucky to work from home with occasional visits to the office which normally require an over nighter but is commutable in a day. We do have a local kennels that does day/overnight boarding. 

Researching the breed tells me that they are a nightmare. They wreck your house, they talk 24/7, they only do what they want, they need horrendous amounts of exercise and we need to turn our garden into a maximum security prison exercise yard, and yes we still want one. 

Does anyone know of breeders, groups or owners around the Hull (UK) area that we could meet and chat about the breed.

Thanks in advance. 

Sie and Sam

Google your local rescue centre. as there are lots of huskys that have been dumped because people thought the cute litte puppy fluff ball

would be the oerfect dog for them. a short time later they are dumped on gumtree pets4home with the same over used stories

We are having a baby

we suddenly moving house and cant take  dog with us

we now work different hours

to name a few

4 hours ago, simplysie said:

Researching the breed tells me that they are a nightmare. They wreck your house, they talk 24/7, they only do what they want, they need horrendous amounts of exercise and we need to turn our garden into a maximum security prison exercise yard, and yes we still want one. 

😀 You sound very prepared! 

Our dog (husky/shep mix) was a rescue. He is fine with a couple of long walks a day, he is fairly obedient, never puts his mouth on anything that's not his, and doesn't try to escape (once stayed home with the door hanging open for a couple of hours). He does however sometimes scold me, he will tell me about it if I do anything wrong. Not all huskies will live up to the stereotypes, I think! 

This being my second husky, she is quite a bit different than the first one. Both females, a good decade separating the privilege of being their human but they are dramatically different dogs. First one was like a wood chipper with four legs and a curly tail. Current one, her biggest vise is digging and she definitely plays much rougher.

Buckle up for the first few weeks. They understand things much faster than they choose to comply but they are worth every bit of effort, fortification and cleanups from accidents.

• 1 month later...

Archived