Sign in to follow this  
TKK

Husky won’t eat

How long has he/she gone without food?    Is he/she drinking?   My first instinct is to tell you to get your dog to the vet  -  he/she may have a blockage.

So it will eat....I am simple with things like this Feed what you want your dog to have, leave it for 15 mins then take it away repeat next feeding time...do not over do it with the yummy treats during this time or even any treats as they then become treat eating only pups...

All the fussing about with different foods makes them funny and fussy eaters....

• Like 1

I totally agree with @robke

Every since my boy (18 months) has been diagnosed with GI disease, I had to constantly switch up his food, he has become so picky. Would go 2 or 3 days without eating. Which for us is a medical concern because of leaky gut.

If you try enticing him with yummy stuff then he will expect it every time. Then protest when he doesn’t get it.

From the research I have done this seems to be very common. My vet says it is actually good for them to purge their system.

As long as they are healthy and it’s not do to a blockage or something I would keep offering his meals 15 minutes down then pull it. Don’t stress over it.

• Like 1

One of my boys is very fussy,  I used to get very upset about it   -    then I found he had 9 different food allergies, and it turned out he did not want to eat the stuff he was allergic to  -  because it was making him sick.   He was very ill for around 6 months  - but when I finally got on top of it   -  he was still fussy   -   so despite his pleading eyes,  it was tough love.   He gets an extremely high quality raw diet anyway   -  its not as though he was being fed rubbish.

If the meat is cut too chunky - he wont eat it  (he is a delicate eater)  -  does not even like big bones  -   if he had it two days in a row he wont eat it,  he usually gets two different meats and one fish  (fresh sardine or herring) in his bowl  - but because of his allergies his meat diversity is rather small  (no poultry of any kind or pork).  It really helps now that I have another dog  -  because he is concerned that if he walks away from it like he used to  -  the other dog will definitely steal it if he can!     If he is going through one of those days  (usually around once a week)  I say  "don't you want it"?   then take it away and put it in the fridge  -   later in the day when he is wanting his lamb ribs  (favourite treat and the bone portion of his raw diet)  -  he gets offered his dinner instead  - if he wont eat it  - it gets put back in the fridge and he does not get his lamb ribs either.   He is not allowed a rib treat until he eats at least half his dinner   -  if he doesn't,  -  he does not get fed until the next morning  (tinned sardines in the mornings - only way to get his meds down him).

At the end of the day if there is nothing wrong with him medically  -  and he is getting a good quality food  - then going without a meal or two will not hurt him.    However if he is getting exactly the same thing  day after day   -  well,  would you be enthusiastic if you just had porridge every day of your life?????