Poor Luna! Almost died with a bladder stone

Luna-tic

Luna has been very sick, started when I went to get her to move from the shelter so I could let my hens out, she wasn’t keen to move. She did eventually but then refused to go for her walk, very unusual. Left her under the honeysuckle, came home later, gave her a water bowl, 5 minutes later returned to find she’d vomited in it and round it. Eventually decided she looked unwell so took her to the vet who took blood and said all her kidney results were out of whack, gave antibiotic injection, pain relief and sent us home with several different meds. I was up at 5am today and started syringing water into her mouth because she’s not had any or any food nor had she urinated. She seemed very thirsty.

Later I managed to get an antibiotic tablet down her and more water but she vomited it all up. She looked very poorly so we took her back to the vet today. Vet decided to admit her for rehydration and X-ray as her stomach was very tender. X-ray revealed a mass and fluid which was red coloured and she was rapidly deteriorating. Surgery has found - a bone poking through the wall of her stomach but ... that wasn’t the cause of the problem. Apparently she had a large stone in her bladder which ruptured and it has escaped and done a tour of her stomach and caused infection and peritonitis. They have removed the bone and the stone and are washing out the stomach to remove all infection. Stone and a bladder sample will go to the lab. Phew. Weekend as an inpatient on IV antibiotics.

Vet has also removed some necrotic tissue from the bladder and washed out the stomach, said that the biggest danger was the peritonitis so she is on strong iv antibiotics and now it’s up to her. I am hoping against hope she is strong enough to recover. Apparently bladder stones have different causes and there are several types and occur in females mostly between the ages of 4-8 years and 85% of female dogs have them.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s very upsetting, still don’t know if she’s going to make it, sepsis is horrid and she’s been very compromised. Just glad that the second vet was more experienced or we’d have lost her already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’re still in limbo, recovery is slow. She’s still incontinent and they’re having to syringe feed her. Yesterday she looked brighter but still a bit spaced out, she’s been on opioid painkillers which is causing panting. She’s had those reduced. Things were looking more positive but the update this morning is that her blood pressure has shot up so another round of tests to try to determine why. It’s unusual with sepsis and is likely to be kidney related.

She is just over 3 days post op and vet said first week is critical for recovery. Her bladder is swollen where the necrotic tissue was and where it ruptured but again that’s usual. They were going to try Metacam, tricky because you can’t usually give that to dogs with renal issues. We’re just hoping because that’s all we’ve got. Bill is £3K already and rising, we are insured up to £6K ...

Just an update, Luna is much better thank goodness, it’s been a real roller coaster but we think she’s finally moving forward. She’s no longer incontinent and she is drinking freely but she isn’t eating spacer.png They put a feed tube in her oesophagus and she is being given liquid food but she needs to start eating independently. I visited today and took some bits of raw meat, I had to put them into her mouth and hold it gently, she ate all that I gave her without protest.

We’ve taken her for a short walk a couple of times, today she met a cat who just refused to get out of the way, when she leant forward to sniff it, it batted her nose and drew blood, poor dog. She’s wobbly too but everything else seems to be moving forward, she has quite a lengthy rehab ahead but hopefully most of it at home, the bill is still climbing!

a2daf18694d65cc9937a395fe5254fcb.jpg

We had Luna home for the day, she is so much better. She ate some cat food and had a wander round, went out for a gentle walk and seemed happy to be here. We’ve taken her back as requested but just had another phone call asking if we can collect her because she hasn’t settled and is being very vocal. Good news I think. She is still being tube fed and getting her meds that way so she’ll go back in the morning. Only downside is that while her bladder is holding urine much better it’s not 100% so she’s leaving puddles. So relieved, the vets have definitely saved her life given how very poorly she has been.

Luna looks like she had a really rough time! 😞

Good that she could come home and relax for a bit, I'm sure she really liked being home.
I hope she continues to improve... hopefully her bladder will heal too!

Latest on Luna is that she is looking good! The bladder issue hasn’t resolved so we have inco pads dotted about. The only other problem was her not eating at home, the vet wanted us to encourage her to eat at home which we are trying but they were tube feeding her 3 times a day so really she wasn’t that hungry, getting this across to them hasn’t been easy, they’d agree in principal but then instead of not feeding her would just reduce what she was given. She has eaten bits and pieces, especially cat food lol, but refusing most of the raw offered and only licking up bits of the very expensive pouches and tins. She finishes her antibiotics today and they are reducing her gabapentin so she may well get her appetite back. They have stopped her 3pm visit thank goodness so only twice a day now, 8am and 10pm. I daren’t think how big the bill is now, they simply haven’t mentioned it! I am hoping the insurers pay up, our policy is with Animal Friends, anyone else had to claim from them? They sent an email saying they needed more info from the vet but they haven’t responded, when I asked the vet they said they’d not heard from them.

So hopefully Luna is on the way to a full recovery, can’t say how relieved I am considering even the vet wasn’t optimistic!

Archived