Arched back at 6 months old

PParmar1993

Hi everyone,

So after many months we still don’t know what’s up with pup.
He had his first physio session the other day and we have been advised to strengthen his back legs by stretches and various exercises. He was also given some laser treatment on his back, but tbh I don’t think this did anything.

Since my last post, he has had antibiotics for both an eye infection and a sheath infection. He has also literally just come off steroids for a patch by his mouth that got bigger after being on antibiotics (suspected dermatitis, but not sure - steroids has definitely calmed it down). Over the past week he has lost 3kg in weight despite actually eating a lot more.

There are concerns about him but no one has any clue what’s wrong with him. The vets are concerned that his weight keeps going up and down, and that he is really struggling to keep the weight on. We have tried to do more muscle strengthening exercises and have had to cut down his walks as he seems to get tired easily.

At this point, I think both my husband and I are tearing our hair out because we don’t know what’s wrong with him. He’s been so subdued and had a very bad case of muscle tremors today. Booked in for a full physical examination for 2 days’ time, but I suspect it won’t tell us anything new.

Any suggestions that can help my dog put on some weight would be great, however he is pretty much restricted to things that are fish-based with no grain or gluten as he gets the runs easily. 

As always, thanks for all your support. 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello , do you have any updates on your husky???? I have a sharpei puppy 7 months old , he started arching his back around 4 months old , Now it looks worse. He jumps , plays , runs . Other symptoms are loose stool , he also has some gall blader issues , he vomits from time to time . The Vet only told me to be careful with His diet, we wait until he is full grown for a CT. Very annoying issue at this point  I must admit. Is my second sharpei. Is very frustrating. Has anyone experienced something like this ? His back is arched all the time , while walking in leash or alert seems almost straight.... 

We are husky owners  - not sharpei owners  and only have experiences with this breed  -  but none of us are vets unfortunately  -  however for me - as an individual only  --   I would suggest you getting the spine checked out.   normally a humped spine is because of pain in that region  -  but ONLY a vet - and scans will be able to help you I think.

On 2/19/2021 at 8:57 PM, Criss said:

Hello , do you have any updates on your husky???? I have a sharpei puppy 7 months old , he started arching his back around 4 months old , Now it looks worse. He jumps , plays , runs . Other symptoms are loose stool , he also has some gall blader issues , he vomits from time to time . The Vet only told me to be careful with His diet, we wait until he is full grown for a CT. Very annoying issue at this point  I must admit. Is my second sharpei. Is very frustrating. Has anyone experienced something like this ? His back is arched all the time , while walking in leash or alert seems almost straight.... 

I would get a second opinion if it was me 

Archived