Advice on adopting a rescued husky

KKWinOK

Hi, I currently have a 6 year old female husky/Pyrenees mix named Miska and a 9 year old female yorkie named Isabella. I’m thinking about adopting a husky from a rescue but I’m unsure how to go about it. I want a dog that will get along with my two girls now and not harm Isabella. What advice do y’all have on determining the best possible match for my home? Thanks!

Here’s a photo of my girls (the blue light is from an aquarium...and I live like a bachelor [emoji16])
IMG_2612.thumb.jpg.6f4009e64292019b600cf319e3bffb8d.jpg
IMG_2616.thumb.jpg.97b0145070f201126ed161bfd3d0951a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best advice I can give (and all mine have been rescues) take yours with you to meet in neutral grounds no toys no treats etc and do the before you adopt...

Since I have two females already, is there any merit to considering a male, especially a laid-back one? There’s a non-alpha male near me but they don’t know how he is with smaller dogs. I’m trying to arrange a meeting though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s hard to say about the sex.

A group of same sex could all get along or there could be one that doesn’t like another.

My x has two females and it’s a blood bath every time they are in the same room. The younger (pit female) loves my female. He even takes her to daycare with mine. As long as there is not another alpha she is a love bug. 

* the aggressor is a GSD 15 yr old female rescue I picked up about 14 years ago. Shortly later I rescued a wolf mix female. They hated each other. When we divorced I took the Wolf and he kept the GSD. LOL 

I took in the ones that were deemed unadoptable because of aggression. Funny thing was I never had any issues with any of them, except those two females. 

Just pay attention to their body language.

Walk your little one with him first on mutual ground. Then walk your other one with him. If everything goes well walk all three together.

Don’t feel pressure to take him. I would do this a few times. Even have the person bring him to your house to see how everyone does if things go well during all the other visits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Best advice I can give (and all mine have been rescues) take yours with you to meet in neutral grounds no toys no treats etc and do the before you adopt...

I brought my whole family and Shiba Inu CoCo and spent at least5 hours at the kennel before deciding Storm was the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I don't think the sex of the dog matters.  I agree with what someone else said about picking an older dog to match their personalities.  They don't have to be the same age, but if you have a 9 month old pup, they might get on the other dogs nerves.  Also, I agree with meeting on neutral grounds to introduce them before deciding to adopt.  If you do adopt, I suggest keeping the new dog on a leash for a couple weeks even when supervised and remove all toys.  When I introduced Kodiak, I had to do that as it is easier to break up fights.  We had quite a period of adjustment.

Archived