New member in SC

John J in SC

Hi, my wife Pattimarie and I will pick up our Husky baby Jan. 10th and are excited to start our Husky love affair!   We've had a couple of small breeds (Pomeranian and Shih-Tzu) in the past that we kept for over 11 years before they passed away in 2017, and we mourned their loss until this past Christmas.  I told Pattimarie I really wanted another dog, and she agreed that she was ready to love another dog as well.  She had experience with a Siberian Husky when she was young, and said she loved it.  I agreed that a Husky would make a fine choice for us.  We started looking right after Christmas and found a family with a litter of beautiful 10-week old Husky puppies.  One of the puppies stood out as being "the one" for us.  Just at like that, the deal was done!  

I retire on Jan. 10th and wanted to be home with our pup from day one, so we decided to pick up our new pup on Jan. 11th.  I' excited and a little frightened, since it has been a long time since we had a baby in our house!  I hope we don't bother the crap out of everyone on this forum with dumb questions!  We look forward to learning from you folks!  I'll post a pick later today of our new baby.  Thanks!   John

Reno.jpg

Welcome and good luck as it's very trying when they are young! Mine is still difficult but we wouldn't trade her for the world, they have such great personalities and it's been fun learning with each other. No stupid questions I'm still learning and everyone else here has varied experience so you're in the right place

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

1 hour ago, John J in SC said:

Hi, my wife Pattimarie and I will pick up our Husky baby Jan. 10th and are excited to start our Husky love affair!   We've had a couple of small breeds (Pomeranian and Shih-Tzu) in the past that we kept for over 11 years before they passed away in 2017, and we mourned their loss until this past Christmas.  I told Pattimarie I really wanted another dog, and she agreed that she was ready to love another dog as well.  She had experience with a Siberian Husky when she was young, and said she loved it.  I agreed that a Husky would make a fine choice for us.  We started looking right after Christmas and found a family with a litter of beautiful 10-week old Husky puppies.  One of the puppies stood out as being "the one" for us.  Just at like that, the deal was done!  

I retire on Jan. 10th and wanted to be home with our pup from day one, so we decided to pick up our new pup on Jan. 11th.  I' excited and a little frightened, since it has been a long time since we had a baby in our house!  I hope we don't bother the crap out of everyone on this forum with dumb questions!  We look forward to learning from you folks!  I'll post a pick later today of our new baby.  Thanks!   John

Reno.jpg

Meet Reno, our new baby!

Welcome!

Start working on leaving the pup home alone for very short periods of time at first (a couple of minutes at a time) as soon as possible. Puppy proof a room or have nothing in a crate to start with until you know if it is going to be a chewer.

Crate training is a must (if you need to evacuate the pup will be safest in a wire crate) I am originally from NC. Do not get a plastic crate! The humidity will make it too hot.

Depending how coastal you are... get the pup trained to stay away from the cooper heads and gaters! Keep a close eye on it while it is still little. They are very curious and will find raccoons fun to play with too.

Find a good holistic vet to help with vaccines, fleas and heart warm treatments.

If you look up training stuff make sure it is geared for Huskies.

Lots of love, never scold the pup, lots of rewards for good behavior, lots of patients, and more love.

Congrates! What a cutie!

Thanks, all!  I have a bazillion questions ready to fire of to anyone bored enough to read stuff that's been asked so many time before, like recommendations for a puppy food.  I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to get Reno crate-trained and housebroken.  I'll get up with him every hour during the night if necessary.  We live in the northwest corner of SC, so I don't think I'll have to worry too much about copperheads or gators!

Food: feed 3x a day (until 6 months, then 2x with treats throughout the day) don’t forget that you are treating during training. They will have the runs if feed too much. Keep it 3x but lessen the amount if this happens. I think Taste of the Wild is good for a kibble if you cannot do a raw diet. *my personal opinion* I do not like this “grain free” kick everyone is on because they are finding that potatoes, peas, and lentil are causing heart problems with out the grain to balance it. If you have Netflix watch Pet Fooled. Do your research. It will hurt your head but is worth it. LOL

Crate training: I started with just feeding mine in their crates. As soon as they were done I let them out. After a week or so (Was working on sit, down, wait during this week or so) I started with making them Kennel up, set, then fed them. Same with letting them out of the kennel. They had to set before I opened the door. Then when they did this in their own I added down before they could be let out. Then I VERY SLOWLY started adding time that they had to wait. (This is really hard for babies because they probably have to go potty right after eating). I have started adding the release command so even if the door is open they are not allowed to come out until I give them the command. (This is great for door dashing training- start this with the crate once 100% put the pup on a long line and do this training with the doors) Go slow. Never use the crate as a punishment. (Since I have two, I do use it as a time out when they are getting on each other’s nerves- but they still get rewarded for going in and have no idea that is what I am doing because they get cool treats) Never make going in or coming out a dig deal.

Potty training was easy for my boy but the girl was extremely hard. We still deal with set backs. Should go out every 2 hours for 10 minutes. If potty happens reward with a high value treat go inside and play. If no potty happens, just go inside and no play. Wait about 5 minutes then go outside again. As the baby gets older then it can be Every 3 hours, every 4 hours  and so on.

Teething: frozen carrots (may cause loss stool) washcloth tied in a knot in the middle, wet it and put in the freezer. Keep close on her while chewing this. I also give mine Nylabone ( controversial because they’re so hard and can damage teeth)and  bullysticks

Make sure the baby doesn’t get ahold of anything that will cause a blockage.

Walks: 5 minutes per month old. Do not start running until 8 months. No pulling until 18 months.

This is all I can think of to start. LOL

I lived northwest of Greensboro but had a lake house further east by the coast and they were a huge issue.

Archived