Hello

Maverick17

Hi, all! My name is Ann and I have a 2 year old husky named Maverick. He's a handful at times. I'm here to hopefully get some pointers on how to keep him from running off and wanting to be chased. He (somehow) got out back gate open last night and my husband was trying to call him and he didn't listen. So, my husband walked after him to bring him home, and the dog took off because they love being chased. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

MVIMG_20180819_152951.jpg

Welcome!

I would Husky proof your backyard. Now he knows he can get out.

I have found it best not to go after them. It is a game to them. Get a very high value treat and kneel down in the neighbor’s yard and call out to him in a very playful voice. Then once he comes DO NOT scold him or he will never come to you again.

Start training him first in the house then in the back yard. Randomly calling him to you and then giving him a very Tasty treat that will only be given for recall.

Once he is 100% in the house move to the backyard. While he is out playing, randomly call him. When he is 100% there take him out front on a long line and randomly call him back and treat him with that very special treat.

No matter how well he responds to this, I would never let him off lead. LOL 

Luckly I have two so I use the other as bate. 🤣

Welcome.to the pack , huskies unfortunately are not s great offlead breed , bred to run they still have that desire in them, one of the few breeds out there who are still bred to purpose and don't have that desire bred out of them , make sure your garden is fully secure and never let him off the lead

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Welcome, ours has gotten out a few times and gets really excited to be free. Normally I bring out a frozen bone and that gets her running back. As others have said you've just got to make sure there are no weak points in your fencing and reduce the risk of them escaping. Unfortunately they don't do well on recall once escaped.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Not a breed to be let off lead, it’s part of their make up to run once out and unfortunately some tragic accidents have occurred to far too many husky’s because of escaping. As mentioned husky proof your garden for your furbabies safety. Are there any off lead areas you can take him too, if not you could invest in a long line to allow some freedom on a lead when walking in safe areas. As for being a handful this is normal husky behaviour, they are an intelligent breed and a working dog, they like to be busy, if bored this can lead to destructive behaviour and escaping, they can be high maintenance and need lots of positive reinforced training, on the plus side they do calm down as they mature, but he’s still young yet. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived